Maggots posted to your door???

Fartacus

Site Supporter
There are a few shops in Hull for tackle that are open but all have different rules but your not able to look in any???

This morning I've had my corvid 19 jab had a trip to my daughters house to do a bit of gardening and on the way home
payed a visit to the local tackle shop... To get to the tackle shop took me what seemed an eternity due to road works :mad:!!!!
and whilst stuck in this jam started to think on getting maggots delivered to my home address..

I know willy worms deliver and there priced are very good has anyone used them???

baggy

Mark Saunders
I’ve used Willy Worms a few times but I have found the size of the bait inconsistent, I have ABC baits much better

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yes used Willys worms and bobco probably 3 times each at the times the shops have been closed and they’re just as good as you’d get in any shop. There’s not much between them tbh but bobco have a lot more other stuff to add to your order to justify the shipping costs.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
There are a few shops in Hull for tackle that are open but all have different rules but your not able to look in any???

This morning I've had my corvid 19 jab had a trip to my daughters house to do a bit of gardening and on the way home
payed a visit to the local tackle shop... To get to the tackle shop took me what seemed an eternity due to road works :mad:!!!!
and whilst stuck in this jam started to think on getting maggots delivered to my home address..

I know willy worms deliver and there priced are very good has anyone used them???
Yes a few times ,last week i had 4pints of live and 8 pints of dead ,all perfect and very well packed

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
ive used WW many moons ago but see lots of people using Catchy bait online, not used them but you can easily contact them and even ask what stock they have i believe Catchy Bait

Not used Catchy bait but see it pop up a lot and a few people i fish with use it

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I just brought 4 pints of reds, from a local shop, which have come from Willy worms, they were a horrible mess , I had to sieve them then riddle them , by the time I’d cleaned them up and put some maggot enhancer on them , I had 3 pints , some big , some almost pinkie size , the 1 pint I took off , I’ve had to krill and freeze...... I popped back down the shop to tell them they’re rubbish, they just said that’s how they come in , in the bags 💁‍♂️💁‍♂️💁‍♂️

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Decathlon sell 1/2 pint bags from WW, they have a sell by date (or a packed date) so could be a week or two, old when you use them and a bit worse for wear. Very handy though, but never had any live bait posted to me.

baggy

Mark Saunders
I just brought 4 pints of reds, from a local shop, which have come from Willy worms, they were a horrible mess , I had to sieve them then riddle them , by the time I’d cleaned them up and put some maggot enhancer on them , I had 3 pints , some big , some almost pinkie size , the 1 pint I took off , I’ve had to krill and freeze...... I popped back down the shop to tell them they’re rubbish, they just said that’s how they come in , in the bags 💁‍♂️💁‍♂️💁‍♂️
Thats the problem I’ve had, i’ll only use them if I can’t get them from anywhere else. The best online bait was run by Lee Edwards but when he went to Maver he stopped doing it.

I wish Lanes did mail order, any time i’ve gone to the Glebe or Tunnel I’ve got my caster and maggot from them. Their maggots are twice the size of the bait we get in Devon.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I get an order from ww every week. I’ve not really had any problems in the past though this week’s delivery seemed to have more sawdust added than usual. I’m sure it was probably a one off though. The maggots themselves are always really good. I add maize flour and keep them in my bait fridge at between 1 and 2 degrees and they last for three weeks at least.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I used both willy worms and bobco last year and tbh I thought the quality of the bobco maggots were much better and better packaged..... Only problem I saw with Bobco was every time I bought 2 or 3 pints of maggots it cost me me another 20-30 quid in bits and bobs

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve not really had any problems in the past though this week’s delivery seemed to have more sawdust added than usual. I’m sure it was probably a one off though.
Yeah my current batch were rather sawdusty as well 🤔maggots themselves fine though like you say

I used both willy worms and bobco last year and tbh I thought the quality of the bobco maggots were much better and better packaged..... Only problem I saw with Bobco was every time I bought 2 or 3 pints of maggots it cost me me another 20-30 quid in bits and bobs
I’d say on balance bobcos have been marginally better for me as well but not much in it. And yes I get stung with like £30 worth of other stuff as well 😂

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
All I can say is some people must have very low standards of what constitutes good maggots, the ones I’ve had from Willy worms are shocking at the moment, half of them dead, half would fit through a pinkie riddle, load of dirty sawdust , I brought them out of necessity, spent ages riddling them off and cleaning them

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
All I can say is some people must have very low standards of what constitutes good maggots, the ones I’ve had from Willy worms are shocking at the moment, half of them dead, half would fit through a pinkie riddle, load of dirty sawdust , I brought them out of necessity, spent ages riddling them off and cleaning them
Not had any issues with dead or small ones but certainly too much sawdust in my current batch. Was particularly noticeable as the last batch from bobco had just the right amount of maize so was quite a contrast. Hopefully only have to buy online once or twice more before the shops open and if I do bobco would be first choice partially due to the slightly better quality but mainly because they sell enough other stuff to build an order that justifies the delivery cost.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Not had any issues with dead or small ones but certainly too much sawdust in my current batch. Was particularly noticeable as the last batch from bobco had just the right amount of maize so was quite a contrast.
The maggots I get from my tackle shop are twice the size !! You could never fish shallow successfully in the summer with those little maggots, you would never be able to group them by hand

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The maggots I get from my tackle shop are twice the size !! You could never fish shallow successfully in the summer with those little maggots, you would never be able to group them by hand
I wonder if those they are selling off through other shops are almost their cast offs 🤔 My local shop brought off them for a bit during this lockdown apparently then stopped so maybe that was the reason.

Robwooly

I've used Willy worms twice in the last few weeks, first time I got four pints as it worked out cheaper with the £5.99 shipping. The shipping it has to be said was very quick arriving the next day. The maggots weren't great though and caked in sawdust, I imagine it's the only way to transport them through courier cheaply so wasn't expecting much, they weren't sweaty but needed serious riddling and flavouring as I don't like the sawdust smell. They also turned after just one week whereas shop bought ones I can make last 6 times that.

The second time I just bought two pints and they seem to be lasting longer as I am storing them better as there's less, same again with the old sawdust, riddling, flavouring process which takes a good half hour in the garden.

Bottom line is they caught plenty of fish and some good ones too, they did the job and were the only option for me with lockdown and no car. When the tackle shops reopen I will be going back to my local ones without hesitation but I would order online again if I have to.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
It’s a 90 minute round trip to buy them from a tackle shop so I don’t have any choice. I’ve had them from a few mail order places and WW have always been the best. Like I say I’ve had them every week for over a year and not had many problems. They sometimes need riddling if they’ve put quite a lot of sawdust in but they’ve always been a decent size and not really had any dead ones. They also last well if you keep them cold enough. I’ve caught plenty of fish on them anyway. The worst maggots I ever had were, surprisingly, from Alders when we had the pairs weekend. If I had the option of a decent tackle shop nearby (there used to be one) I would buy them there.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
It’s a 90 minute round trip to buy them from a tackle shop so I don’t have any choice. I’ve had them from a few mail order places and WW have always been the best. Like I say I’ve had them every week for over a year and not had many problems. They sometimes need riddling if they’ve put quite a lot of sawdust in but they’ve always been a decent size and not really had any dead ones. They also last well if you keep them cold enough. I’ve caught plenty of fish on them anyway. The worst maggots I ever had were, surprisingly, from Alders when we had the pairs weekend. If I had the option of a decent tackle shop nearby (there used to be one) I would buy them there.
I got some maggots at Alders when I went over with Jon Arthur, I thought we’d been given pinkies by accident, I’ll never buy maggots from there again 😂😂

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
More to the point is do you get a pint of maggots + sawdust or a pint with sawdust?