Maggots in the fridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

snakey

PAA COACH
How long do maggots last in the fridge before they are past their best before date? And any tips on how to turn them to casters.Am I right in thinking that reds don`t make good casters.

NOT TAKEN UP GOLF YET

Bretty

Snakey...I had some in the fridge for a week once and they were fine...can't tell ya how long they would have lasted after that, cos i 'Drowned Them'. Turning them into casters is simple...keep them in a dry warm place, and it shouldn't take too many days for them to turn.
Go get em!

Bretticus Maximus

u better watch it though m8, u know what maggots are like for escaping [:D] and if their in a fridge with food in ur gonna be in for a disaster waiting to happen[:(!]. Mags can last for ages in fridge. After the maggots start turning to turn to caster put them in vinegar in a bag with no air in. Hope this helps m8[:)] see ya

jon

What beats FISHING, ....... er NOTHING

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Turning your own casters is a time consuming effort.You need to riddle them off every four hours or so. this is so no bad casters go through.You will probably need 4 pints of white maggots to get 2 pints of casters.Probably easier buying them in but do not get the prepacked version they stink when a hook goes in.get the tackle to riddle them off while you wait if you can as they will be the freshist available.

Never heard of vinegar in the bag.

Keith

Golfs a game for people who can't catch fish

Simon R

Site Supporter
Vinegar on maggots?

Are you sure?

I put vinegar on fish & chips but I've never heard of it being used to catch fish in the first place[:p]

Tight Lines

Simon

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I once was sold some 'preserved castors' that used a vey weak solution of formaldehyde in the bag and was told that they would make no difference, just to rinse them first - managed not to catch a thing using them [:)]

Dave

palmer

we sometimes use baby sterilising tablets or solution in our shop when the casters are a week old as for vinegar forget it.Red maggots do make good casters for hook baits especially

BOB

I find you are always better using the maggots within the first week,as they tend to go to soft and the fish dont take them so readily.

Robert Hutchison

norm

so what`s new dave (lol)

i keep maggots for a few days in the fridge

and have tried to freeze casters (load of rubbish)

just buy them fresh from the shop i think much better

i coming to get ya teeeeppeeeeeeee

martin.

Account Locked
hi
during the summer i turn up to a gallon of casters a week for me sammy & phil.
the best way is for 3 pints of mggots riddle them off to cleanthem then put them in about 3 pints of damp sawdust this stops them shrinking keep the container in a dark cool place & riddle the casters off once or twice a daythen you can keep them for up to 2wks in clean water but change the water every 2 days.
if you want to keep maggots in a fridge or anywhere dry & cool
leave the lid off that way they wont sweat & climb out.

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

angler-mark

I just wait for a fish-in and Martin gives me what's left LOL.

Thanks Martin [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Tight Lines

Mark

Last edited:

MALC

Norm

A little tip as to how to FREEZE Casters with NO ill effect is to Freeze them in water.

You get no smell just a bit of discoloured water when defrosted but they are purrrrrrrrrrfect once rinsed. (but don't tell anyone else)[;)][;)]

MALC
IT'S CATCHING

norm

cheers malc nice one mate

martin that is about 17 worth of maggots a week (bloody hell)

see yas later
norm

i coming to get ya teeeeppeeeeeeee

scoobs11

i bought an old fridge for 15 and stuck it in the cellar , with the top off the container maggots will last for weeks in the fridge.

i'll have a fiver on the brown one

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
Not sure bout how long but i kept some for two weeks once and they were fine so... For caster's. when the maggots start changing siv them regularly and any caster keep in an air tight bag in cold water this always works for me! [:)]

Tight lines [:D]

watty

Getting maggots in to my fridge is hard enough as it is with the lid on, I don't think I could convince my better half about leaving the lid off. [B)]

Status
Not open for further replies.