Maggots in a fridge

Telfish

Hi - first of all thanks to everyone who commented on 'Stick Floats on Winders'. Really really helpful.

I've been fishing for nearly 50 years but in that timeframe I didn't fish from the late 90's until about a year ago. I used to keep all my bait in a undercounter fridge in the garage. No problems encountered that I can remember however I've moved house a few times and have just purchased a mini fridge & it's in the shed.

The other day all the red maggots decided to go for a walk inside the fridge and quite a few entered the freezer box & died. It was a horrible mess as you can imagine.

Any help on keeping bait in a small fridge would be appreciated, especially in a small one.

Steve

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Just to reinforce what Like Not Now Kato has said. If the maggots are going walkabout they're not cold enough.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
You had left the lids off the maggot tubs hadn’t ya mate ? Only if not and like what endpeg has said .... they may have sweated ?

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
At this time of year my maggots are kept in the shed in a washing up bowl so they have freedom to move around rather than kept in a bait box.
They are covered with maize then riddled before I go fishing, never had any escapees.
Sometimes I put some raw meat offcuts in there to keep them feeding and plump.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
As said aswell, a normal fridge will switch off anyway below about 10 degrees, that's why I have beko fridge freezers with digital thermostats in my outbuilding as it can get cold then the fridge switches the freezer off and everything defrosts.

Telfish

You had left the lids off the maggot tubs hadn’t ya mate ? Only if not and like what endpeg has said .... they may have sweated ?
Ah, yes the lid was off on all 3 boxes just like I always do. Only one sweated. So do you leave the lids on and how full are the boxes?

Telfish

As said aswell, a normal fridge will switch off anyway below about 10 degrees, that's why I have beko fridge freezers with digital thermostats in my outbuilding as it can get cold then the fridge switches the freezer off and everything defrosts.
Good point, thx

emmaemma

Site Supporter
Another option is to keep your bait in a plastic bag with the air squeezed out and knotted. Undo the bag and put them in a tray every two or three days for a few hours to give them a breather and to get them wriggling then repeat.

Total

Site Supporter
I put a thermometer in & it read about 3 degrees C. Do you put the lids on?

Mini fridges aren't great for keeping any quantity of maggots in, possibly ok for one or two pints at most, not enough cubic area etc. Best to keep a maximum of 1 to 1 1/2 pints max' in a 3 pint box with plenty of fine sawdust or whatever medium suits your pocket and with the lid off.

Inspect maggots every couple of days and replace sawdust if necessary and let them get a breath of air for 1/2 hour so before returning to fridge.

If your pocket and or space allow your better of with a second hand normal fridge and kept indoors....

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I use maize flour to stop them from sweating even in the fridge but other people prefer other stuff like sawdust or bran.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have taken the bottom shelf out of my fridge and replaced it with 2 square buckets cut down to about 10 inches high, I then put my open maggot boxes in these buckets so if I do have any escapees they are contained in the buckets, I still have a small shelf for other baits

Robwooly

Always freeze your maggots before putting them in the fridge. 5-10 mins if from the shop or a cold day fishing or 20 mins if you come back from a summer fishing trip. Not only does this stop them sweating it also prolongs their fridge life.

Make sure you set a timer though each time as forgetting is costly

smiffy

Site Supporter
I used to divide the maggot into washing up bowls with plenty of maize flour in a cold fridge. Problems normally arise when there’s too much maggot in a confined space. So, if you can split them I would do so.
Even then I’d check on it daily to make sure the garage floor wasn’t a crawling mass but never had problems keeping them uncovered and cold.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I got a mini fridge for bait back in the summer and set pretty cold it’s kept up to 4 pints of maggots alive for a good few weeks. It’s cold enough that they look dead when you get them out but by the time I’ve loaded the car they’ve warmed up enough to start moving again. That is in boxes well under capacity though.

floatfisher

Site Supporter
Put your maggots in a normal bait box in the fridge with a little maize meal on them then instead of putting the lids on, which will encourage them to sweat, get an old nylon stocking or leg off a pair of tights and stretch it over the top of the box. It allows air in, stops sweating and prevents escapes. Used this method for years and no problems.