Maggots - how long do they last?

CJPWHU96

Hi all!
Hope you are all well.

I am visiting a fishery Saturday, A12 Cuton lakes, there match lake for some pleasure fishing. As the cold weather comes in and it being a new venue for me so I’d like to take some maggots... however logistics and over bits doesn’t allow me to get them until Thursday lunch time. If I was to leave them in a bait box wrapped up outside in my cold log store would they be ok? After just coming back to do sport from a ten year break.. stopped at 14/15 now I’m 24!? I’m really learning a lot from new or the bits I forgot/never learned!
Just wondering as to how long they could be left and would last!
Cheers lads

melvyn

Head Blanker
A lot depends on how fresh they are when you buy them. I have had them for a week just keeping the on the garage floor. I find the best time to buy them is late Friday afternoon. The shop gets a new supply Friday ready for the weekend rush.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If fresh when you get them and then keep them a cold a couple weeks is very doable although a round a week will see them stay in good condition as they can go a bit tough and small after that.

Total

Site Supporter
@CJPWHU96 ......The maggots will be ok for up to a week if left outside....Just don't put too many in your bait box which should be a 3 pint box or bigger with ample sawdust or equivalent with them....Check them each day and allow half an hour with the lid off....

You don't need too many maggots at Cuttons....Expander pellet or corn catches plenty of fish there in the cooler months....;)

CJPWHU96

A lot depends on how fresh they are when you buy them. I have had them for a week just keeping the on the garage floor. I find the best time to buy them is late Friday afternoon. The shop gets a new supply Friday ready for the weekend rush.
Cheers for the advice Melvyn!

Flathead

Site Supporter
This summer I managed to keep some in fair condition for about three weeks....that was in my bait fridge in a large bowl.

I can usually manage two weeks OK.
It depends how fresh they are When you buy them

CJPWHU96

@CJPWHU96 ......The maggots will be ok for up to a week if left outside....Just don't put too many in your bait box which should be a 3 pint box or bigger with ample sawdust or equivalent with them....Check them each day and allow half an hour with the lid off....

You don't need too many maggots at Cuttons....Expander pellet or corn catches plenty of fish there in the cooler months....;)
Cheers mate! Now you’ve said that I may not bother with maggots!? have you any other tips? I’ve never been like I say but I’m thinking method to the island and all fails bit of pole work? Corn... pellet... band’ums/wafters... supoose the time for meat has passed?

CJPWHU96

This summer I managed to keep some in fair condition for about three weeks....that was in my bait fridge in a large bowl.

I can usually manage two weeks OK.
It depends how fresh they are When you buy them
Cheers mate. Seems a week is best/longest time

Total

Site Supporter
Cheers mate! Now you’ve said that I may not bother with maggots!? have you any other tips? I’ve never been like I say but I’m thinking method to the island and all fails bit of pole work? Corn... pellet... band’ums/wafters... supoose the time for meat has passed?

Been a good while since I've been to Cuttons but do keep up with what's going on there....All the baits you mentioned above have their day, even meat....Just take a pint of maggots with you in case...

Try to get on a peg towards the middle of the match lake (gives you a chance to pull fish from other pegs)....Method across is always a good stating gambit and later on go on the pole.....Might be worth checking there's not a match on it at the weekend....(y)....Enjoy your day and take your ear plugs to reduce the noise from the very nearby A12! :giggle:

CJPWHU96

Been a good while since I've been to Cuttons but do keep up with what's going on there....All the baits you mentioned above have their day, even meat....Just take a pint of maggots with you in case...

Try to get on a peg towards the middle of the match lake (gives you a chance to pull fish from other pegs)....Method across is always a good stating gambit and later on go on the pole.....Might be worth checking there's not a match on it at the weekend....(y)....Enjoy your day and take your ear plugs to reduce the noise from the very nearby A12! :giggle:
Think I’ll try grab some then. I’ve texted the owner/bailiff no matches on and booked my peg no one else booked on so looks like could have the lake to myself! Cheers mate I appreciate the advice. I’ll keep you posted how it goes...

Midwater Brand Manager

Site Supporter
It is pretty unusual to get maggots to turn to caster in under a week regardless of what you do to them lol. A bluebottle egg will hatch in 48 hours. The maggot can take from 7 days to 36 days to complete the cycle. dependant upon conditions. A good indicator of "fresh" (using the term very, very loosely) in the shop is when the maggot has a full stomach i.e. a visible black dot in the top third of the pointed end lol. No black spot visible, it's probably not got as long left (before turning into a caster) as one that has a large visible spot ( i.e a full stomach).
My friend and maggot breeder once said......a magot only has so many wriggles before it becomes an old man.... The warmer the maggot, the quicker it wriggles, the colder the maggot the slower it wriggles, I stand by this expert fact.