Maggots and worms etc

explosive

Site Supporter
This is something that i have puzzled over for a very long time and nobody has as yet convinced me to think differently. and that is;; the recognised method of hooking a maggot is through one end and not to pierce the skin and yet when it comes to worms we chop them into pieces to let the juices flow out, the same could be done with the maggots and i have tried it with success,..... half a maggot. whats the difference ? the puzzling bit is why do anglers keep persisting in hooking maggots through the end....Now for something different. It is not a very pleasant task, but, if you can put up with it..... liquidize plenty of maggots/casters together or separately.. to use as an additive in the ground bait..... it works very well.... you will need plenty of the liquid.. the ground bait is only used for presentation i fish at 10 meters and cup in the bait, not the liquid on its own or it will just cloud the swim or wash away. the results are good. best used in shallower water about 6/8ft. Has anybody else tried it ?. i reiterate, it is an unpleasant task best to look the other way, laugh.

nortchul

I watch a young lad fish our last match on the river bann bag up bouncing a feeder full of chopped caster. Won the most unproductive section with 9.8 kg, second place weighed 3.7.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
This is something that i have puzzled over for a very long time and nobody has as yet convinced me to think differently. and that is;; the recognised method of hooking a maggot is through one end and not to pierce the skin and yet when it comes to worms we chop them into pieces to let the juices flow out, the same could be done with the maggots and i have tried it with success,..... half a maggot. whats the difference ? the puzzling bit is why do anglers keep persisting in hooking maggots through the end....Now for something different. It is not a very pleasant task, but, if you can put up with it..... liquidize plenty of maggots/casters together or separately.. to use as an additive in the ground bait..... it works very well.... you will need plenty of the liquid.. the ground bait is only used for presentation i fish at 10 meters and cup in the bait, not the liquid on its own or it will just cloud the swim or wash away. the results are good. best used in shallower water about 6/8ft. Has anybody else tried it ?. i reiterate, it is an unpleasant task best to look the other way, laugh.

Not tried it with maggot or caster, but have done it with worms. The catch rate itself didn't seem to improve but it did bring out a better stamp of fish.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Worm juices are full of amino acids and this is part of the appeal
Brandling's juices are more acidic and that is what causes the yellow gunk that comes out.
Maggots are mainly water content and their juices do not have the same strength of amino acids as worms ,so you would need hell of a lot to see any results.
This is why maggots are an ideal Winter bait as they don't fill the fish up and the water content is the reason why bait manufacturers have never tried to push the sale of blitzed maggots before.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Dynamite Baits Liquid Worm works well in the groundbait.

Iluvlesta

Site Supporter
I’ll try it in the wife’s food processor ......or maybe not.
I liquidised some old tired maggots before a perch fishing trip in my wife's nutri-bullet and it worked a treat. I rinsed it out and put it straight in the dish washer. Evidence gone. She asked my son later when she emptied the dish washer why it was there and he gleefully told her. She's never used it since and doesn't stop reminding me.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I liquidised some old tired maggots before a perch fishing trip in my wife's nutri-bullet and it worked a treat. I rinsed it out and put it straight in the dish washer. Evidence gone. She asked my son later when she emptied the dish washer why it was there and he gleefully told her. She's never used it since and doesn't stop reminding me.
You are a very brave man.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I started to use the wifey's coffee grinder for knocking pellets down to powder to make paste with. It cost me a more expensive one to replace it. :rolleyes3:

Fartacus

Site Supporter
I've a food processor from the wife she upgraded and gave me her old one perfect for blitzing most anything.
Haven't though on maggots worth a go though...

Nicky Dodds

Willy worms win-win liquid worm product is based on dendras and the problem with chopped dendras is that the juices created want to start fermenting after a very short period. Their development team went to great lengths to find the right stabilizer that halts the process without detracting from the finished product. They seem to sell quite a lot of it.

sporty

Site Supporter
Hooking maggots is done in many different ways as is chopping maggots sometimes but probably more common on the match scene than pleasure fishing .