Maggotdrowning Pairs Tournament and Fish-in - Alders Farm 2019

Added to Calendar: 26/07/19, 27/07/19, 28/07/19, 23/08/19, 24/08/19, 25/08/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

steak

Left hand drawer
******** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ *********

It is with great sadness that Dave and I have to announce that we have had to take the very serious decision in conjunction with the Fishery Owners and Management and after advice from the EA that the Maggotdrowning Pairs Tournament and Fish-in - Alders Farm 2019 due to take place July 26th- 28th will now be rescheduled for the weekend of August 23rd-25th.

We fully appreciate that this comes at very late notice for a lot of those participating in the event and apologise for this but the recent very hot weather has resulted in a blue-green algal bloom at the fishery and low dissolved oxygen levels that have resulted in a number of fish deaths that the Environment Agency are monitoring. We feel that as both a responsible Website and Anglers it would be unwise to subject the fishery and its stocks to the pressures that 3 days of intensive angling by 40 anglers would place on the fishery.

Obviously this decision will prove to be inconvenient for all and not please all taking part and for that once again we can only apologise. Anyone who cannot make the new dates can of course contact Dave and their payment for this weekend will be refunded.

Hi Dave,

Gutted for all at the fishery, and at missing this weekend, but I agree it’s the right decision.

Sadly I can’t make the August dates as I already have stuff booked in 😩

I hope all is ok at the fishery and the revised weekend goes well.

Steve

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
def hope the fishery is ok as its going to be hot today and seen what a oxygen plummet can do to a fishery! fingers crossed its ok, more and more fisheries have aeration systems which are costly but proving more and more vital

Wily Coyote

Site Supporter
Although it's disappointing about the cancellation, on the positive side we may have avoided the annual drenching so hopefully the new dates will be kinder to us :p

Site Supporter
Firstly, I would like to from the bottom of my heart thank each and everyone one of you who has posted such such kind comments on this thread. To say that I’m disappointed we had to postpone the event is an understatement.

The following update is exactly where we are....
We have been battling a very complex algae community in both Pines and Ash Lakes for the last month. This has resulted in many difficult days and nights with different oxygen levels giving us some almighty challenges, as a result of severe weather conditions it has resulted in some very unhappy fish. This week we have had readings as low as 48% and as high as 225% ( hard to believe I know) the current water temperature is 25 Degrees with the highest being 32.5 these are very difficult conditions for all fish.
Because of all of the above I called in the EA to assist us in protecting our fish stocks as it was obvious we had some in distress. They were happy to praise the fishery on how the lakes are managed and were extremely helpful.
They took away water and fish samples which we await results .
The advice from the EA was to close the water to assist the fish stock to make a full recovery without the stress of three days Match fishing It would have been easy for me to ignore the advice bury my head in the sand and take the money ( this is not me and not the members of MDs)
Once I have an update on the situation, I will keep everyone updated.
We sincerely hope this is resolved quickly and we get the event back on the back end of August.
Special thanks to Dave Webster and Peter Morton .

Trev

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Thank you Trev for taking the time to inform us of the situation. The only concern on here has been for the well-being of the fish. I hope you are soon able to overcome the current problems you are having as it must be a very difficult time for you. Hopefully the weather is going to remain cooler for a while.

dave the fish

Site Supporter
Well seeing as I had non refundable hotel booking the wife and I decided that we would have a weekend away and visit Woburn Safari park. So we are now in the hotel 6 miles from Alders wondering what else we can find to do:thinking:

I will probably pop in to the lakes tomorrow morning.

Site Supporter
Well seeing as I had non refundable hotel booking the wife and I decided that we would have a weekend away and visit Woburn Safari park. So we are now in the hotel 6 miles from Alders wondering what else we can find to do:thinking:

Pop into the shop 😂😂😂😂😂😂

dave the fish

Site Supporter
I have a big problem with popping into the shop. Do I keep my credit card with me and risk you making me spend loads, OR do I give my credit card to the other half for safe keeping.

HELPppppppppppp.

dave the fish

Site Supporter
Well Wisey we are about to start the American theme by going to the American diner for food. (y)

Chervil

Site Supporter

Take the wife shopping in Milton Keynes. Also see if anything you fancy is on at the theatre. Just think of the brownie points.

Last edited:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
@dave the fish , Take the card and go to the shop, you know you want to and ask Trevor to show you the latest Garbo gear. :LOL:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
@911 Many Thanks for the update Trev, much appreciated by all, looking forward to returning to the fishery and pass on our best wishes To Lewis and family. :upthumb:

Clive

Black Hydro
Site Supporter
New dates are good for me (y)
Think thats the bank holiday weekend ? should we make it 4 days ? ;)

Auto

Terry
Site Supporter
I have a big problem with popping into the shop. Do I keep my credit card with me and risk you making me spend loads, OR do I give my credit card to the other half for safe keeping.

HELPppppppppppp.
Whatever you do Dave, don't accept any invitations to pop out for "just one drink" if you have your credit card with you.

dave the fish

Site Supporter
I popped into Alders this morning and you can rest assured that Trevor, Lewis and the rest of the Alders team are working their butts off doing whatever is needed to sort the problems out. They were just installing another new pump in one of the lakes to get the oxygen levels correct.

Terry I don’t think Trevor would accept an offer of free beer at the mo as he is working so hard.

Keep up the good work guys.

arkwright

FlyingCarpetPilot
Site Supporter
Really hope you sort the problem out a great fishery and it would be awful if you lost fish

Status
Not open for further replies.