Maggotdrowning Pairs Matches & Pleasure Fishing days - Alders Farm 2021

Added to Calendar: 30/07/21, 31/07/21, 01/08/21

Stewie74

Site Supporter
My first MD shindig, (but certainly not my last๐Ÿ‘

Three days of ridiculous weather, but a brilliant weekend despite the constant downpours.

Great to put faces to names, too many to remember but most notably @Dave, @Peter, @Godber, @The Landlord, @TRFC2000, @chefster, @Knight of the round pond, @Yosemite Sam, @chris1967 @slaner @TrevDrakes, @davered5, @Nickp69 and @Pyffy

Quality fishing on both lakes, thanks to everyone for the hints and tips, rounded off the weekend nicely with 124lb off Ash peg 29 for a lake 3rd and section 2nd behind Trevor.

Special thanks to @Dave and @Peter for organising the weekend, and for the Saturday night barbecue, much appreciated Dave๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Looking forward to the next one ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Last edited:

Clive

Black Hydro
Site Supporter
Great weekend again :)
Despite the weather the lakes fished well all round :unsure:
Thanks to Dave and Peter for running the match and big thanks to Trev and the team at Alders for making us all welcome again

Godber

All gone floppy.
Site Supporter
Great weekend again. Thanks to Alders farm for their hospitality, the breakfasts are excellent. Cheers to Dave Pete Trev for another fantastic weekend. ๐Ÿ‘
So got there Friday about a minute before the gates opened๐Ÿ˜ and made my way down to the Carpers, Arky and John step. A quick chat and it was time for my first of many trips to the portaloo, a very pleasant and honestly quite fragrant portaloo........ it was anything but fragrant this morning though๐Ÿคฎ After meeting old mates and making new ones we got down to the fishing. Peg 17 on Pines, a nice but snaggy looking tree bush thing. Tip rod set up and two pole lines, left hand margin and top 2 + 2 in front. The tip was excellent, hybrid feeder with micros and a banded wafter saw quite a few fish in the first two hours grace my net until l got ragged through the roots and lost the lot๐Ÿ˜ฃ I 'd been feeding great big handfuls of maggot down the margin since the start so dropped in on it with a great big bunch of reds on a 12. Float buried, a firm strike which rezulted in a 3 oz perch, put him back, not wasting a net for a few perch, 2nd drop in, float buries....... stripey๐Ÿ˜ฉ so decided to bin the maggots and started feeding 8mm pellets instead, first drop in and into carp straight away and l stayed there for the rest of the match, it was solid, no exaggeration 5 secods was a long time to wait for a bite. 172lb for a lake win and section, chuffed.

Mystery pairs and l get Trev Drakes, well happy๐Ÿ˜Š good angler, l hope he was happy with me๐Ÿ˜ Peg 11 Pines and had a mare. Snapped my pole before the start๐Ÿ˜– telescoped it but not enough of an overlap and it folded over whilst playing a carp. It was a funny day with me not getting the fish's heads down to munch. Floating reeds were a pain, staying in my peg all day, big reeds with the roots still attached. Anyway l fished like a muppet for 69lb.....sorry Trevโ˜น๏ธ Miffed.
Sunday peg 4 Ash. Happy. Restricted because of the breakage to my pole, top2 +1, l wasn't that upset to see my peg, overhanging tree to my left and right๐ŸŒฒ๐Ÿ˜Š๐ŸŒด. Fed 4mm's and fished a 6mm on the hook, 4 fish for 18lb ish in the first 10 minutes and then it died, really struggled for a bite but could hear Dave, Red5, next to me catching on the tip. Got my rod bag, took out the rod eeek! I hadn't rerigged it after snapping off on friday. Quickly set it up and soaked some micro's and a gentle underarm 5m lob............ AND PUT IT ON THE CLIP!!!!! ๐Ÿคฌ Dont ask, l dont know why, force of habit, fecking eejit and the first fish ragged me and took the lot๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿคฌ๐Ÿคฌ set it up again and this time fished at 25m and managed to snag 5 or 6 carp at a very quiet time close in. My right hand margin that i'd been feeding with 4mm's started to colour so binned the rod and dropped in, a steady succesion of carp saw me weigh 99lb๐Ÿ˜• for 4th on the pond and a section win. Chuffed.
At the presentation both me and Trev were very pleasantly surprised to find out were joint 2nd in the mystery pairs with two other pairs๐Ÿ˜Š Chuffed, great weekend, great fishing, great bunch of folk.
Got some photos and videos coming but l'm going for a shower first.

Last edited:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well having had my feet depart from under me this morning getting down to peg 10 on Ash and landing flat on my back, somehow avoiding a twisted ankle that I first feared. Thankfully Mark Skeggs and Slaner came to my aid, Thanks Lads. :upthumb:
A tad detuned, by just a solitary skimmer in the first hour not helped by a shoulder that started to seize up (Thank goodness for the Ibuprofen That my good lady added to a first aid kit she insists I have with me) it didn't get a lot better until the carp finally rocked up in my left hand margin...........with just 20 minutes to go ๐Ÿ˜ฅ๐Ÿ˜ก

Not the best trip home either nursing a motor with a CV joint that had started to play up on the way down, but it did me proud making it back the whole 135 miles to Barnsley. Aching and knackered now, so further thoughts tomorrow. ;)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm home in one piece, had dinner for one in Donnington Services - Burger King lol, not as nice as our BBQ ones though ;)

Just having a cup of tea then bed, the gear will have to wait until the morning, then I'll add some photos, reports and such like :sleep2::waving:

PS: 2 nuggets worth off Peter ;) 1 to him, the chef had my pants down though and took me for 3 :D

PPS: I've got @chefster 's section winnings

matt

Site Supporter
Cheers mate, and well done today , lake 2nd ??
Thanks mate and yes by some miracle I managed 2nd on lake. Martin won it with 130lb odd and Brainy had less than I thought he did.

I must admit though that you had me worried at one point when you were proper sacking up on the skimbobs which most people would have called Bream! :ROFLMAO:

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Another brilliantly organised and run weekend. Many thanks to @Dave and @Peter.

Despite my numerous dramas over the weekend requiring the help of heavy vehicles and strong men I had a cracking time. Really enjoyed the company and the fishing. I am a total newbie to match fishing but my meagre weights (50lb on Ash and 34lb on Pines) gave me some satisfaction. At least I didnโ€™t blank. Top bunch of lads and Iโ€™ll be looking forward to the Fur and Feather now.

Godber

All gone floppy.
Site Supporter
Friday night was a quiet affair around Landlords car boot. A few jokes, a bit of pee taking(sorry TRFC2000๐Ÿ˜) some of Fat Pikes excellent stories and a relatively early night.
Saturday night was a anything but a quiet affair. After an excellent bbq by Dave the serious business of getting blutered got started, an absolute Tsunami of jokes from Nomorelongwalks, banter, stories and STEAKS JACK DANIELS GROGG๐Ÿคฎ The legendary Len Wade tok full advantage of Steaks very generous offer to 'gettit darn thees neck'......... What followed was one man carnage oh so perilously close to the roaring fire pit, Len Wade had turned into floppy rubber, his gyros had toppled, his cv joints had gone, his suspension had done a runner๐Ÿคฃ Len had been possesed by the demon booze as shown IMG_20210801_004641.jpg
What a man, what a laugh. A great night, eventually about 01:30 those that remained retired for the night, full bellies, full bladders, empty tins and sore sides. Fantastic night. ๐Ÿ˜ IMG_20210801_180222.jpg IMG_20210801_180237.jpg IMG_20210801_180222.jpg

Attachments

• VID_20210801_180537.mp4
    46.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210801_004645.jpg
    IMG_20210801_004645.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20210801_004651.jpg
    IMG_20210801_004651.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20210801_004708.jpg
    IMG_20210801_004708.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20210801_004714.jpg
    IMG_20210801_004714.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20210801_004735.jpg
    IMG_20210801_004735.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20210801_004735.jpg
    IMG_20210801_004735.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20210801_004742.jpg
    IMG_20210801_004742.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 36
  • VID_20210801_180414.mp4
    87.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210801_180243.jpg
    IMG_20210801_180243.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Well what can I sayโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆOh yes thatโ€™s it,,,,,,,Iโ€™m never going again.
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚โ˜”๏ธโ˜”๏ธโ˜”๏ธโ˜”๏ธโ˜”๏ธโ˜”๏ธโ˜”๏ธ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿบ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
Great to meet you mate, and great being pegged next door ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘well done matey ๐Ÿ‘

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Apart from the bloody weather, a great weeked again. Nice to meet old friends & make some new ones.
Just emptied the car & everything is soaked. All my gear needs jetwashing. I must have had the muddiest peg on Ash yesterday.
Again, I didn't cover myself in glory on the fishing front. My ambition was to crack a ton this year. Maybe I'm just a rubbish angler. Drew some rubbish pegs though and 17 on Ash (peg 1 on Pines twice!!). I propose that Peter is withdrawn from drawing duties in future.
Couldn't get a bite on Ash yesterday. With an hour to go, all I'd had was a few perch & one skimmer (caught in the first half hour). I managed 27lb of carp in the last hour!
Didn't lose as many this year...only about 6 per day. NickP reckons he lost 30 yesterday from peg 2 on Pines!

Last edited:

Pyffy

Site Supporter
As a relative newbie to Maggot Drowners and a total match fishing novice, I would like to thank everyone including the farm cats for such an amazing weekend. @Peter and @Dave ran a fabulous weekend and Dave's prowess with the BBQ is second to none. It was great to put some faces to screen names and I thank you all for your help and the friendship offered, especially on the Saturday night when burgers and beer and great company made for a fun evening of jokes and laughter. For anyone wishing to join in next year don't be put off, it's an amazing weekend with some great people, go along, you won't be disappointed.

I would especially like to thank Martin for graciously taking the news that he was my fishing partner for the weekend. What he has done in a previous life to have deserved me in the draw, I can only guess at, because he is a thoroughly nice guy as well as a great angler. However due to him winning the lakes on Saturday and Sunday and added to my combined 24 points saw us in joint 2nd with 26 points. The biggest shock of the weekend, was being told I had somehow managed to scrape a section 2nd yesterday, something I really didn't expect and am still waiting the result of a stewards enquiry to tell me it was all a mistake.

All in all a wet and wonderful weekend and one I am looking forward to repeating next year. This may have been my first Time at Alders with the MD crew, it certainly won't be my last.

Martin25664

Site Supporter
Hi guys, great weekend meeting everyone new and catching up with some old friends that I havenโ€™t seen in years. It rained a bit but didnโ€™t seem to affect the fishing. Special thanks to Peter for drawing me some flyer pegs each day and well done to Pyffy for his second in section on Sunday. Happy to have you as my partner and if you keep improving at that rate we will be fine next year ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Auto

Terry
Site Supporter
Great weekend in brilliant company. thanks to everyone who helped out with getting me around, especially to Trevor, Pop up and Lewis. Thanks to the guys for lifting my nets out for me, not that there was much in them. Thanks to Fat pike for the steak. After burning my burger 2 years ago you don't have to feel guilty anymore. I can't say I noticed any rain. I am aching all over but wouldn't have missed it. Me and Fat pike arrived home ok after our yearly diversion through Aylesbury due to missing the same turning that we missed last time. It was great to catch up with the old crew and to meet a few new ones.

chris1967

Site Supporter
Congratulations to everyone who survived the downpours

True Maggotdrowners grit and determination (plus bloody mindedness) by the sounds of things

Hoping @mickthechippy has booked better weather for us southern folk doing the Tricklebrook get together in October

Hi guys, great weekend meeting everyone new and catching up with some old friends that I havenโ€™t seen in years. It rained a bit but didnโ€™t seem to affect the fishing. Special thanks to Peter for drawing me some flyer pegs each day and well done to Pyffy for his second in section on Sunday. Happy to have you as my partner and if you keep improving at that rate we will be fine next year ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
martin some quality angling there bud ,well done

Pyffy

Site Supporter
Hi Martin, it was a pleasure to meet you and I am glad my lack of experience didn't hinder us too much. Now I have 12 months to hone my new skills and next year I will be aiming for section wins not seconds ;) there again, in reality I have more chance of winning Mr Universe than a maggot drowners match :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: