Maggotdrowning Pairs Match 2020

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've no idea Neil as I didn't stay until the end. We'll have to wait for the reports :)

The Landlord

Site Supporter
One of the most bizarre fishing experiences I've ever had, that weekend. Felt a right useless pratt after the first couple of days. Never hooked & lost so many fish in my life. Hook pulls, snap offs the lot. Got lots of advice of helpful people although a lot of it was contradictory. One person said "fish a feeder"....another said "don't fish a feeder". My head was cabbaged come day 3. Glad I managed to bag a few on the third day, thanks to using softer elastic and only lost three fish.
Nice to put faces to a few names though. Just a pity that the current circumstances prevented a big get together in the evening.

Mermaid

Calamity Lin
Site Supporter
A brilliant weekend. Chris and I had a great time thanks Dave and Peter for arranging the weekend and to Trevor, Sophie and the Alders Farm team who looked after us all so well.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
One of the most bizarre fishing experiences I've ever had, that weekend. Felt a right useless pratt after the first couple of days. Never hooked & lost so many fish in my life. Hook pulls, snap offs the lot. Got lots of advice of helpful people although a lot of it was contradictory. One person said "fish a feeder"....another said "don't fish a feeder". My head was cabbaged come day 3. Glad I managed to bag a few on the third day, thanks to using softer elastic and only lost three fish.
Nice to put faces to a few names though. Just a pity that the current circumstances prevented a big get together in the evening.

Did my advice work on Sunday ?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Did my advice work on Sunday ?
It did mate. It was other people's advice that didn't work :rolleyes:
Caught everything bar two fish on your method. Should have stuck with it instead of wasting the last hour & a half, fishing down the edge.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Great weekend as usual. Thanks Trev Price and all at Alders farm and to Dave for the organising. Well done to the winners and all the anglers.
Second visit to Alders farm and second time l've drawn the same peg on both days. 👍

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Given the current restrictions of the dreaded Covid19 I have to say that the Owners and Staff stepped up to the plate magnificently to make sure that we could get the weekend on. The ladies in the cafe made sure that breakfast baps were available to all that wanted them, along with Tea and coffee every morning. Once again Trevor (911) the fishery manager went above and beyond and along with Sophie and Lewis ensured that the Weigh-Ins were carried out smoothly and efficiently. :upthumb:

Good to see that during the matches everyone maintained sensible social distancing with no wandering around. Unfortunately that along with the Saturday downpours prevented me having my usual wander with my camera, so unfortunately I've none of my usual photos from the weekend. :(

Thanks to all that attended, good to see some new faces and put names to them. No Nuggets for me with Dave being Hors de combat and turning to the Darkside for the weekend.

Finally I'd like to say a Big Thank You to @dave the fish who despite being unable to fish this weekend popped down for a visit on Sunday and proved invaluable in helping me get the results sorted at the end of the match. Much appreciated fella. :upthumb:

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Yes - I'd like to echo Peter's comments there, regarding the fishery owners & staff. They couldn't have been more welcoming & helpful. Pegged next to Jim for both of the pairs days & he gave me some advice. Trevor catches too many fish & feeds too many maggots though.

Total

Site Supporter
Looked a decent weekend on paper...:)....Well done to the organisers and participants and many congratulations to the winners and framers....(y)

.....Just one more thing...:oops:......Mr 'Mugger'......My office now please!.... (can you please return our Chris's drawing arm when convenient...Thank you!);)(y)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I can only echo Peter's post on the way the fishery looked after us, and special thanks to all that attended who made it the weekend it was despite the typical MD's weather :D

Unfortunately, you all had to make do without my entertainment, good looks, and charming wit, for the weekend but it was great to meet you all once again and if I seemed a bit off-hand or ignorant at times I wasn't purposely, I just had to pull away when needed and recluse back into my bivvy :)

Normal service, if there is such an MD's thing, will be resumed next year :D

Payouts will be as follows into the accounts that the entry fees were made from unless instructed otherwise...

1595849897263.png

Total

Site Supporter
@Dave......One prize missing Dave....:)......Please duly award yourself "The best looking Bivvie and tidiest swim" prize......;)