MaggotDowners at Makins

Status
Not open for further replies.

MALC

Today (Saturday 30th November 2002) saw some of us fish at Makins Fishery.

A few weeks ago "The Yorkies" Dave M & Jimbo (mummysboy)[;)] put up on the forum that they would be going to Makins for the day if anybody wanted to join them.

So in normal MDers style a few of us turned up for the day.

From the south (well south of Watford Gap anyway)[;)] there was Nick (polepot), Keith and his son David, Kev (snakey) and his son (sorry kev forgot your lads name)[:I].

From the Midlands there was myself and Steve W (and of course RED)[:D].

And a strong contingent from Yorkshire of Dave M, MummysBoy [B)][;)](oops meant Jimbo) and 3 others from Yorkshire (Feel bad as i've forgot their names as well)[:(].
So we ended with 12 of us fishing.

Well we all met up on The Lizard Pool on Phase 2 and after introductions were made every one set of for a days fishing around the pool.

Before everyone else jumps in i'll let you all know that fishing wise "The Jinx" hit it's owner today and all i managed to catch was a solitary Perch of about an Ounce.

And managed to get well battered by Nick on 1 side and Steve on the otherside as well as everybody else [:)] (but still enjoyed the day.

Just to give an idea of how much Nick battered me by, the picture below is of his best fish of the day all 11lb 6oz of it.[:)][:)]

Datafile2.jpg
I'll leave Nick to the finer points regards how well he done to land his years biggest carp.[:)]
As i said at the time WELL DONE Nick thumbsup.gif

And just to rub a bit of salt in both of "The CokeHeads" Keith and Snakey used some my own Catmeat to proceed to catch fish on [:)][;)].

"The Yorkies" class Makins as their home water (even if it is 200+ miles away) (strange people up North[;)][;)]), and they showed us more local how to do it with Dave, Jim and crew all netting a string of fish through out the day.

Below we have Dave giveing Jim a few pointers [;)]
Datafile2.jpg

Datafile2.jpg

And then Jim putting the tips to good use.
Datafile2.jpg

Must admit for me the fishing was not to great but it was made up for by the company on the bank.

Cheers for the day out everyone thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif
Here's to the next one.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

scrubba

Well no wonder you only caught a perch, if you have plently of time to sit behind someone taking pictures while they catch fish. (Only joking, good to see that people will stil turn out when get togethers are organised.)

All the best, Cheers Scrubba.[:D]

Polepot

Poles
We all had a great time at Makins and especially for me as I caught my biggest Carp of the year.

It was my first fish of the day and I was fishing light- not expecting to catch a fish of these proportions.I was fishing at about 8 Meters with 3lb mainline and 1.1lb bottom. Hook was a Kamasan 18. I was fishing double red maggot.

The float never went under it just seamed to dink and I struck into thwe fish - Then the float went under as the elastic shot out from the end of my pole.

This was the first winter carp I had caught and they fight differently in the winter.
There was no mad rushes but steady pulls - and jears from the bank like "Get on with it" - "how long is it going to take you". I eventually managed to land the fish, which was in excellent condition and the rest is recorded by the photograph.

I had several more fish through the day but none of them were a measure of this fish. I will certainly be returning to Makins and can thoroughly recommend it.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well done all,
Looks as if a good day was had by most.[;)]

Malc,
Looks as if the Jinx is becoming more localised (just round your peg)[}:)]

Nick,
Nice fish,just shows that you don't have to go too heavy to get them out in the colder weather.[:D]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Another good day out was had by all.

Malc forgot to mention though that Nick has a novel way of putting his rig into his peg.Put loop in line into the stonfo and it helps if he slides the sleeve across to prevent it from coming off.
I don't think a second rig was meant to be used for the retrieval of the first rig.

Malc as i told you before its ok having catmeat its knowing what to do with it that counts.

Keith

Golfs a game for people who can't catch fish

jimbo

I just want to thank the familiar faces and new friends i made for making the effort. What was going to be me and the brother in law and another couple of Yorkies turned out to be a great turn out. The weather was terrible, but i still had a few fish on the method. I think Mal took the picture of me catching the skimmer on purpose, all my other fish were Carp honest.

Thanx for the pictures Malc, my mams telling me to get an agent now and asking when will i do my first film [:D]

Thanx again and see yu all on Mals 2003 series, MERRY XMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR to yu all.

Cheers Mummys Boy (Look yu have me saying it now i mean)
Jimbo

snakey

PAA COACH
Had a great day out, cught a few fish in the company of a great bunch of friendly people. Nice to be able to put faces to some names. Cheers lads, here`s to the next one.

NOT TAKEN UP GOLF YET

Status
Not open for further replies.