maggot times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi All

just wondering how many of you have seen the news story in the maggot times?

The owner of a popular local coarse fishery has been found guilty of stocking fish into his lakes without consent from the Environment Agency. Roy OMalley of Three Oaks Farm, Furzeley Corner, Waterlooville, pleaded guilty by post to the charge and was convicted on January 17 at Portsmouth Magistrates Court. He was fined 400 and ordered to pay 80 costs.

The court heard how Environment Agency Fishery Officers visited Mr OMalley after seeing a fishing report in a local newspaper. Mr OMalley admitted to the officers that he had recently put 100 barbel into his fishery, even though he had previously been warned that it was a criminal offence under fisheries legislation to do so without written consent from the Agency.

Following the case, Water Bailiff Dominic Longley said: "The Environment Agency puts a great deal of effort into regulating fish removals and introductions so that the spread of fish disease is reduced and fish are not put into unsuitable habitats.

"In the wild, barbel are exclusively a river species and we only allow them to be put into still waters which are suitable for them to thrive. Had Mr OMalley applied, he would not have obtained consent to put these fish into Three Oaks, which is small and already heavily stocked.

"The law is crystal clear- before introducing fish to inland waters you must first obtain written consent from the Environment Agency," he added.

Whats you opinion then??

Mine, i think they should have shut him down & done a full survey, stock check, disease control check etc etc etc basically anything that would keep him closed for around 6 months.

if you think how much money he'd lose in that time i reckon he'd never think of doing it again.

I also hope some of the anglers who fish there read about it & realise what danger he's put other fisheries at with illegal stocking & don't use the place anymore.

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin
Datafile.gif

jonesr

Trogg.
Would 6 Month's be enough to put others off.[:(!][:(!]
I dont know, do fishery owners have to hold a Licence to trade? If they do it should be revoked as a ban from opening up for trade.Or make a fine big enough to put other's off!

Ron J

Age isn't everything!experience is!
I INTEND TO LIVE FOR EVER,SO FAR SO GOOD!

Last edited:

Larry

Lazarus
400.00 fine is f--k all to a fishery owner they ought to made 4000. that might made it a detterent to stop other.s & made him net his lake &take all the barbel out.or perhaps a spell at her majesty's pleasure in jail.

Anyone who stops learning is old.
Wether at 20 or 80.
Anyone who keeps learning stays young.
Cheer's Larry AKA as toma say's Shimano Man The Tackle Tart

TINY

Tiny
I think what he did was downright stupid,as any form of desease going could have been transmitted and a major epidemic could have followed.I dont know what exactly would have been a good punishment but it would and should have been something to make an example.It goes to prove what a lot of us have already said.There are those that are just in it for the money.

Andy....Staffs Angling Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.