Maggot feeder rig.

sapperrich

Hi all, which do you think is more sensitive when using maggot feeder on still water, running type rig or heli rig set up(never tried)? Targeting winter silvers on swing tip. Cheers guys.

sapperrich

I usually use swivel link and short twizzle boom to hook length. But been watching vids on line and there seems to be a lot of anglers promoting the Heli rig, hence me asking your guys advice. After your responses I'll stick to what I know. Cheers guys.

Silver fan 82

From what Ive seen I think a lot of anglers use the heli rig for specimen species ( roach, tench crucians ). Ive never used a heli rig purely because the running rig has always worked for me. If its not broke don't fix it kind of thing.

richox12

Regardless of the size o fish (silvers being commonly thought of as small) it depends how they are feeding. Mostly will use a running rig or paternoster. But sometimes a bolt rig is far better & much quicker (when it's a numbers race). Just experiment.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
They tend to use Heli type rigs at distance with bite alarms because they are self hooking bolt rigs.
If you are fishing in a more traditional way and holding the rod to strike at bites any form of paternoster rig sliding or fixed will be more sensitive.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I wish people would read the question fully before replying. The OP stated he was after winter silvers using A SWINGTIP.
As a regular user of swingtips the best rig to use is a paternoster with a link of at least 6 inches and a hooklink which is longer.
Upon casting make sure you get the rod into the rests before your feeder hits the deck and very carefully watch your tip as it settles, it should settle smoothly and if there is the slightest stop on thw way down strike as you will have had a bite. If the tip settles smoothly then you can tighten up whilst your rod is still in the rests, then allowing the tip to slowly drop again watching for any stutter on the way down, repeat as necessary until correctly set. Time your casts at all times and accurately recast. Sometimes having a hooklink of up to two feet is necessary but should not need to be much longer as its the last two feet of water that you will be fishing. Use maggot feeders with enlarged holes so maggots are swept out while it's dropping through the water. Remember that when casting the feeder must drop directly to the deck as possible, so sweep the rod back during the cast to allow this to happen as you put the rod on the rest.
Hope this helps in your swingtipping.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I wish people would read the question fully before replying. The OP stated he was after winter silvers using A SWINGTIP.
As a regular user of swingtips the best rig to use is a paternoster with a link of at least 6 inches and a hooklink which is longer.
Upon casting make sure you get the rod into the rests before your feeder hits the deck and very carefully watch your tip as it settles, it should settle smoothly and if there is the slightest stop on thw way down strike as you will have had a bite. If the tip settles smoothly then you can tighten up whilst your rod is still in the rests, then allowing the tip to slowly drop again watching for any stutter on the way down, repeat as necessary until correctly set. Time your casts at all times and accurately recast. Sometimes having a hooklink of up to two feet is necessary but should not need to be much longer as its the last two feet of water that you will be fishing. Use maggot feeders with enlarged holes so maggots are swept out while it's dropping through the water. Remember that when casting the feeder must drop directly to the deck as possible, so sweep the rod back during the cast to allow this to happen as you put the rod on the rest.
Hope this helps in your swingtipping.

I think it also depends on what the fishery allows. Doing what you suggest does make sense, but would get you kicked off the waters round here as it's inline only. Using a paternoster or any fixed bomb/feeder is a no-no mate. It must be inline/free-running with no 'fixings' above the bomb/feeder (no paternosters, swivels, beads, etc.). with feeder/bomb running free on the mainline.

Carpers are treated the same, inline leads only. No heli-rigs, lead clips and the like.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
So a 6 inch link with a feeder on on one end an a micro swivel on the other running freely on the main line up against a quick change bead to take the hooklink, so a fully safe rig would not be allowed ?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
So a 6 inch link with a feeder on on one end an a micro swivel on the other running freely on the main line up against a quick change bead to take the hooklink, so a fully safe rig would not be allowed ?

If it's free running with nothing above bomb/feeder then that's allowed. If using a quick change swivel with mainline running through the ring at one end and bomb/feeder clipped to the other end, then that's fine too. But there must be nothing to hinder that swivel running on the mainline. No beads, shot, or any other bits of kit above that swivel. Below the swivel obviously, quick change beads or swivel for the hook length.

This is fine, there's nothing on the main line stopping the feeder.

1576372990718.png

This isn't, because of the float stops trapping the feeder.
1576373638472.png

Last edited:

Kirtons

Site Supporter
Probably do away with the swing tip first fella, light quiver and helli rig all the way some of the roach bites are like pull rounds on a method then!

Silver fan 82

Only trouble with the heli rig it only fishes the last 4 inches of water where using the rig l described above fishes 6 times that in a totally different way.
Just out of curiosity Steve how long would you make your hooklink if fishing the method you described? Presumably it depends on the depth of the swim?