Maggot Drowners match

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Hi all do we ever have an open around York . I would like to fish in one if one gets organised .I'm no good at organising events but if someone here would like to organise 1 or more before the main fishing season starts that would be brill . Somewhere where it's not to hard in the cold weather would be good

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I would say go ahead and try Robert if you find a good local fishery or at least one with good links to major routes it isn't that hard. especially if you ask for some help with the organisation on the day. I organised my first ever match this year with the grateful help of @Whisker and @dirk and it went well (at least no one said it was naff :D) If you find the right fishery, they very well may offer to do the draw & weighing in for you.

robert d

Site Supporter
I would say go ahead and try Robert if you find a good local fishery or at least one with good links to major routes it isn't that hard. especially if you ask for some help with the organisation on the day. I organised my first ever match this year with the grateful help of @Whisker and @dirk and it went well (at least no one said it was naff :D) If you find the right fishery, they very well may offer to do the draw & weighing in for you.
I was thinking somewhere like Tollerton or Redwood or Forrest lane ...Really I'm not good at organising I could get there early and help in any other way ..Let's get some names up and ideas who's up for it and where suits ...for me it would have to be a sat or Sunday..when we get some names il phone around a few fisheries .. does anyone know where they keep fisheries ice free around york ..

Scribe

Site Supporter
I was thinking somewhere like Tollerton or Redwood or Forrest lane ...Really I'm not good at organising I could get there early and help in any other way ..Let's get some names up and ideas who's up for it and where suits ...for me it would have to be a sat or Sunday..when we get some names il phone around a few fisheries .. does anyone know where they keep fisheries ice free around york ..

Good luck I hope you manage to get something sorted. Can't beat a MD match. (y)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you want to organise one I'm sure that one, or more, of us will help you out with the running of it :)

The easiest way to organise a match is to first pick the venue, find out their availability for the dates you have in mind and minimum/maximum numbers needed to make a booking. Then post to gauge the amount of interest.
If enough people are interested you can then confirm a provisional booking with the fishery. Depending on the time of year and how busy they are you may have to pay a deposit. Not all fisheries want one though.

Then get people to commit to it by paying up-front for the peg fee.
This is the important bit otherwise you could be left out of pocket with no-shows on the day, it does happen.

State the date you need names and payment by. Once you've got confirmed names then confirm the numbers with the fishery.
It's easier than it sounds, you just need to be careful you don't book a lake to find no one, or not enough people, turn up to fish it and you have to pay for it.

robert d

Site Supporter
If you want to organise one I'm sure that one, or more, of us will help you out with the running of it :)

The easiest way to organise a match is to first pick the venue, find out their availability for the dates you have in mind and minimum/maximum numbers needed to make a booking. Then post to gauge the amount of interest.
If enough people are interested you can then confirm a provisional booking with the fishery. Depending on the time of year and how busy they are you may have to pay a deposit. Not all fisheries want one though.

Then get people to commit to it by paying up-front for the peg fee.
This is the important bit otherwise you could be left out of pocket with no-shows on the day, it does happen.

State the date you need names and payment by. Once you've got confirmed names then confirm the numbers with the fishery.
It's easier than it sounds, you just need to be careful you don't book a lake to find no one, or not enough people, turn up to fish it and you have to pay for it.
Thank you Dave il give it some thought .. I would need a lot of help lol ..in the mean time I'd like to get a few names who maybe interested and ideas of good venues with f1 and plenty of silvers around york

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Give them a call and sound them out. I'd say typically, winter matches, you'd be looking to get 15-20 anglers together if on a weekend

robert d

Site Supporter
Give them a call and sound them out. I'd say typically, winter matches, you'd be looking to get 15-20 anglers together if on a weekend
I will call them during the week .with your experience Dave red leader when do you think would be best time 2 or 3 weeks from now or longer ...

robert d

Site Supporter
I will call them during the week .with your experience Dave red leader when do you think would be best time 2 or 3 weeks from now or longer ...
Infact mid Feb onward would be good for me ..

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
2-3 weeks is too short notice for many, including the organiser who would need to promote it to gain interest :)

Mid Feb onwards sounds good, it gives people time to get over Christmas financial commitments, get some wages into the bank, and do a bit of planning :)

robert d

Site Supporter
2-3 weeks is too short notice for many, including the organiser who would need to promote it to gain interest :)

Mid Feb onwards sounds good, it gives people time to get over Christmas financial commitments, get some wages into the bank, and do a bit of planning :)
Il look at mid feb onwards then cheers Dave

Macca81

I fish around that area quite a bit so would be interested providing it does not clash with league commitments etc ?

Scribe

Site Supporter
Can't seem to win one either:(

I thought there was a rule that stated it's bad form for the organiser to win. I take Red Leaders example on this as I'm sure it's something he told me. :D

I didn't get a DNW Dave, that counts as a win for me. :D And besides I am far too nice a chap to mention out respective weights in the match Dave. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wise Owl

Account Locked
If ya want i will organise summat ether at Forest lane or Raker ;) Let me know the date ya want. Ive got Eddies number.

Wise Owl

Account Locked

I know if ya book Raker he will do all he can with the airiators to keep it ice Free. Why dont we go for a March match just as its warming up a bit ?