magazines and numptys !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam_f

Why do magazines feature articles that are utter rubbish!!!!
fishing magazines are meant to teach people how to fish 'properly' so why do the feature useless things.

In 'improve your coarse fishing' this month there is a feature on crucians and how to catch them on the pole.
The person that does this feature shows the rig he uses
for crucians fishing with paste.

He uses an 0.8g drennan lake on 0.18 (8lb 14oz)colmic atomic line tied to an EYED kamasan b911 sz 14
by looking at the pictures he seems to have ONLY 3 shot on his line
for an 0.8g float!!!!
it also states that he uses a doubled up no. 10 elsatic which is equivalent to a size 16 !!!

surely you would use a paste float in around 4x14 for about 5ft deep?? and spade end hooks on the pole for definate!

fair enough use a drennan lake for crucians but in 0.8g! and using PASTE with a drennan lake float ??
this just does not teach anglers how to fish for crucians!!

shouldnt magazines feature articles that are actually helpfull to anglers ?

earlier in the magazine there is a brilliant article on fishin paste by jamie masson. that article will actually help anglers catch more fish !!!

i dont know why but it makes me quite angry when people moan about people that cannot fish very well and 'numptyism' when magazinze produce articles that are totally useless !!![:(!][:(!]

brummie 76

Relax! Just chill out. Does it effect your fishing?... not really.

i understand what you say. you have a good point...just dont let it get to you.

i have not seen the article myself so i can not comment on it.

This reminds me of Matty Hayes trying to fish the pole on tv. But at least he admits he's C**P on it!

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I too am gobsmacked at using 8lb+ line for Crucians, surely articles should educate folk to match their tackle to the species they are targetting. On the venues I fish, it is very much traditional fishing that bags the most Crucians, size 20 or 22 hooks, maggot or caster, a size 18 for corn and at the most a 16 for paste.

Line size should not need to be above 2lb as generally Crucians like open water(unless you are catching specimen Crucians in a snagpit, as we all know, fishing at sometime, disproves every rule).

It seems to me that so many anglers these days have either forgotten, or haven't ever experienced the joys of catching a bag of silver fish from a natural venue, using light tackle, watercraft and traditional baits.

I was fairly determined to stay clear of commercials, but the simple fact is the lack of matches on natural venues has led me to fish them during the winter and close season, now the season has started, I'm looking forward to a summer and autumn of matches on some of the excellent Bristol and Somerset natural venues.

Last edited:

adam_f

they are big crucians in the magazine but i wouldnt fish more than 0.14 and 12 latex or 13 hollo and defo not eyed hooks!!!

Thom

Originally posted by adam_f

they are big crucians in the magazine but i wouldnt fish more than 0.14 and 12 latex or 13 hollo and defo not eyed hooks!!!

i admit the 8lb line thing is far over the top but when fishing paste an eyed hook is a very good idea! and i too have used drennan lake floats for paste as they are very senetive and still have quite a long bristle on them (they do however break very easily!)

if the crucians are taking the bait happily though, or there is a large head of bigger "normal" carp then i can see why heavy tackle is needed.

martin trice

i bet most angling magazines arnt correct..who is going to give away what they have found out to the public surly they want to keep it to them selfs to keep ahead of the game and improve on what they have found works

Thom

Originally posted by martin trice

i bet most angling magazines arnt correct..who is going to give away what they have found out to the public surly they want to keep it to them selfs to keep ahead of the game and improve on what they have found works

Are you one of those people who walk down the street and constantly keep checking over their shoulder?[:D]

strat2

lol
hhaaaa double up 10 ? thats the equaivilent to 20 lol

wat a nutter who writes such stuff

adam_f

quote :
Originally posted by martin trice

Are you one of those people who walk down the street and constantly keep checking over their shoulder?

what does this have to do with articles in magazines ????

LOL

Thom

i consider him to be very paranoid if he thinks thats what angling magazines are all about! they arn't some random tabloid newspaper. theyre designed to help and providing enjoyable reading for all. i can honestly say that after writing my first article for an angling paper i havent hidden anything (there wasnt much to hide!). the "stars" wont be either.

if they need to hide their tactics they obviously arn't very good.

Carp-Freeek

' Shorty '
Lol no probs using eyed hooks on the pole, nor fishing 8lb line. In summer where I feel the fish aren't bothered about line I use 8lb no matter what the size of fish, even if I'm talking pound fish lol

But then again if I'm targeting crucians (which might i add Ive never done, specifically targetting them) then Id fish a robust line, like 0.16 as the rig may take some battering as crucians are hard fighting fish [:D] but with paste you can get away with a 12s eyed, even with crucians [:D]

matt

Site Supporter
The only time i use spade end hooks now is for silver fish rigs.

For all my carp rigs, i use eyed B911's, tied as a spade end [;)]

This is a much stronger knot as the spade doesn't cut into the line when being put under constant presure [:)]

mibut

If you read the article and look at the guys results from using these methods and how he describes the reasoning behind them, for this water,then the tactics used make sense.
They are not saying this is what you have to do, its just another way of fishing.
Keep an open mind, its often what seem the daftest things that can sometimes make the difference between catching and blanking.[:)]

martin trice

i consider him to be very paranoid if he thinks thats what angling magazines are all about! they arn't some random tabloid newspaper. theyre designed to help and providing enjoyable reading for all. i can honestly say that after writing my first article for an angling paper i havent hidden anything (there wasnt much to hide!). the "stars" wont be either.

if they need to hide their tactics they obviously arn't very good.

no i just feel that most magazine articles are 'tweeked' in sertian ways and in every tactic there is something the better angler knows which puts them few extra fish in the net. there not goin to go and tell other people are they... im not sayin the whole article is wrong. but there will be sertian things in there that arnt true

brummie 76

most articles in mags are all sponsorship based.....if we can moan about a guy using 8lb line for Crucians we should also be looking at all these articles where each sponsored angler uses exclusivly his sponsors products. Example, Will Rasion (Daiwa) fishes a lake on an article, he uses daiwa line, hooks, rods, poles, floats etc he is also sponsored by a groundbait company....he uses their bait etc.

We all know for a fact these anglers dont always use all of the sponsors products. They aint going to sit there on a match using a sponsors bait if they know too well another companys bait is the one to use....

C.A.T.C.H.

brummie, bang on mate,
If they dont support the sponsor they wont be sponsoring you much longer.
I think articules sometimes are a very good way of making you sit back and consider how YOU fish for certain species or methods. they highlight the fact that fishing is a variable sport in that nothings set in stone as being right or wrong there are always other tweeks or stlyes that still will catch you fish.
I fished MAkins the other week in a bloody gale.
Fishing the pole was a night mare but I read somewhere about fishing an over weight olivette 3" from the hook actually lying the weight on the bottom to stablise the float etc.
Guess what?????

Caught bugger all on it.LOL.

CATCH.

adam_f

ha

what day did u fish makins???

im down there ALOt as i live 10 mins away.

i will be working in the new bait shop they are having next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.