Made up rods

Line Clip

How do you anglers transport your made up Tip Rods,
regarding the rods, how do you have the tip, is it best along side the rod handle or reverse,
do you leave the hook, and feeder attached, how tight do you have the line,
I am going through a faze at the moment of breaking the last 1 inch of the tip of in transit.
I have PRESTON SINGLE HARD CASES with Preston feeder rods in each, there seams to be approx 1 inch
of play between length of rod to length of case, and the tip, is getting broke some how in transit I am thinking,
this is down to the tips moving some how, but yet I use the proper bands.
PS. I trap the feeder between the rod handle and the lower rod band, and put the hook into the rod band too,
is this wrong, what is the correct way, Thanks all.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I store mine with tips on, tip end at the rod butt, feeder or bomb wound up to the top ring and 2 rod bands, I used to trap the feeder with the rod band on the butt but it marked the duplon so stopped doing it. Never snapped a tip, I assume you are also using the velcro straps in the case?

Line Clip

I store mine with tips on, tip end at the rod butt, feeder or bomb wound up to the top ring and 2 rod bands, I used to trap the feeder with the rod band on the butt but it marked the duplon so stopped doing it. Never snapped a tip, I assume you are also using the velcro straps in the case?
There does not appear to be any Velcro straps in the hard cases, that's a good idea though, I can put some in no problem brilliant thanks.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
There should be velcro straps in the hardcases, mine has them in the 2 hardcases that fit into the monster holdall.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I store mine tip to handle but I leave about 18” of loose line between the rod tip and the feeder. I put a sleeve over each end of the rod so the tip can’t move away from the handle. I leave the feeder on but remove the hooklength.

JRW

Site Supporter
Use the but section as a splint to protect the more fragile top section and tip.

I use 4 loose velcro straps on each rod to tie the two sections together. Tip goes to the but end but make sure the top section is fixed so the tip is shorter than the but then put it in the hard case.

I also clip the line at the reel, remove the feeder and hook and just leave a drennan method connector on the line.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter

Ditto.

stephenk

Site Supporter
Use Preston ICS system so no feeder /lead on made up rod - just the stem.

Also put a few loops of old pole elastic over the handle & tip 20201122_162016.jpg

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I remove the feeder n hooklengh, Velcro or elastic band em together fragile tip to handle end, make sure your hold-all is adequate for the rods n reels, e.g. I use a frenzee four rod holdall and just put two rods in it, one either side, so they aren’t clattering together,, then I lay old towels, curtains, or cushion covers over the top of my rods, so they can’t get damaged👍👍👍👍

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I don’t get all this faffing about, I just leave everything on fold the rod in half, use tip and butt wraps, and put in a triple rod bag or double, whichever rods I need, never had anything break🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Using a hardcase or even soft rod sleeve should protect your rods.

My feeder rods are mainly 12ft and 3 piece. so this is how I pack them away.

1. Remove hooklength
  2. Wind in until feeder is 1ft from the tip
  3. Break the rod down and zigzag together so the tip is pointing up away from the butt
  4. Gently encourage the line to tighten. This should result in the feeder being 2-3ft below the tip
  5. Twirl the feeder round the three sections so the line wraps round and binds the sections together
  6. Place in rod sleeve/case.
For two piece rods I would remove the quiver tip if possible and then do as above. if the tip cannot be removed then allow enough spare line so the two sections can be placed next to each other in the same direction before twirling the feeder round.

Cheap option for using something other than the line to bind the sections together is bendy hair curlers as per below. Sometimes found in pound shops. (That is a Notneeded idea).

GeeTee

I do tip to butt and take off hooklength and feeder.

just experimenting now with cutting a lit in rod tube so 4od is made up and fully protected.

might try and find a wrap for reels.

Attachments

• DC34A3B0-0352-4EDC-9686-D49A04DB79DF.jpeg
    DC34A3B0-0352-4EDC-9686-D49A04DB79DF.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 5
  • C68B00F0-F999-45E5-9EE3-14E30EF5E10F.jpeg
    C68B00F0-F999-45E5-9EE3-14E30EF5E10F.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 4

Marker50

Site Supporter
I don’t get all this faffing about, I just leave everything on fold the rod in half, use tip and butt wraps, and put in a triple rod bag or double, whichever rods I need, never had anything break🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Agree .dont even use velcro.
6 in my preston .4 in frenzee.
Must just be lucky.
Just put them in .with reels staggered

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
How do you anglers transport your made up Tip Rods,
regarding the rods, how do you have the tip, is it best along side the rod handle or reverse,
do you leave the hook, and feeder attached, how tight do you have the line,
I am going through a faze at the moment of breaking the last 1 inch of the tip of in transit.
I have PRESTON SINGLE HARD CASES with Preston feeder rods in each, there seams to be approx 1 inch
of play between length of rod to length of case, and the tip, is getting broke some how in transit I am thinking,
this is down to the tips moving some how, but yet I use the proper bands.
PS. I trap the feeder between the rod handle and the lower rod band, and put the hook into the rod band too,
is this wrong, what is the correct way, Thanks all.
Erm, what's a tip rod?