Lymm Dam

Ivan heaphurst

This place was the place to fish when I was a kid. Admittedly it was fifty odd years ago but without a car in those days, the first bus on a Sunday got to Lymm at 9-0am. By then there were no pegs or spots as we called the the. The only time we could get on to fish was n the school holidays.
How times change, I walked round there today and there were four on it. All Carpers. Mind you the state of some of the pegs left plenty to be desired.
I will be having a little session when it warms up in a couple of weeks.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
last time l fished it was at least ten years ago, said to myself at the time l wouldnt be going back.
Cannot understand Why Lymm Anglers dont have this on their card anymore, when its on their doorstep and should be the jewel in the crown, been neglected for a very very long time, the council should take contro of it, or a club that is willing to actually take care of the venue.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
last time l fished it was at least ten years ago, said to myself at the time l wouldnt be going back.
Cannot understand Why Lymm Anglers dont have this on their card anymore, when its on their doorstep and should be the jewel in the crown, been neglected for a very very long time, the council should take contro of it, or a club that is willing to actually take care of the venue.
The council at the time wanted Lymm to be responsible for litter in a certain radius around the water, this included the road , also if I remember correctly something about repair to the road if the water caused any damage or collapse, and I think the rent was going up as well. It's a pity because it was the first water Lymm had on their card. I recall the the times if you hadn't got there by 3.30am on opening day you would not get any of the 100 pegs on there.
It was a good water in its heyday, the xmas fur and feather was a 100 peg sell out, thursday evening matches were averaging 40 anglers ,the cream of the north west fishing them ,Ashurst ,Addy, Conroys, to name a few.
I used to get 30 juniors turning up for the friday junior matches I ran on there.
Bay Malton now have it along with Altrincham.i walked round it last year and it has been ruined.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Is this the place that was the Mecca for crucians some years ago.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Is this the place that was the Mecca for crucians some years ago.
In all the years I fished it and ran matches on there I never came across a crucian being caught.It had catfish in there that not many knew about. I think they were introduced around 1991. Just after that a lot of carp anglers were getting into big fish and getting seen off.Rumours started of huge carp in there, when the likely culprits were the catfish .
Another Lymm water ,Whitley Pool had a good head of crucians in it. Plus the usual brown goldfish.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
In all the years I fished it and ran matches on there I never came across a crucian being caught.It had catfish in there that not many knew about. I think they were introduced around 1991. Just after that a lot of carp anglers were getting into big fish and getting seen off.Rumours started of huge carp in there, when the likely culprits were the catfish .
Another Lymm water ,Whitley Pool had a good head of crucians in it. Plus the usual brown goldfish.
I must be thinking of somewhere else Mark.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Fished it in the 90’s as a kid me and dad had Lymm permits for years. Liked Lymmvale and some ponds they had in farmers fields near Sandbatch.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
That would be Fields Farm at Sandbach I would say, was on the card for a number of years, Its now a commercial fishery.
I couldn’t remember the name. I used to catch loads of bits in there as a nipper. I remember it had what seemed like huge ghost carp in and I spent many an unsuccessful hour trying to catch one.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Maybe Dave is thinking of Lymmvale?
Cheers mate, you are correct on both counts, it is lymmvale I am thinking of and it was orfe and not crucians. I found a site but I don't know how to copy a link. It is, "history of lymmvale by Mike Wilkinson"

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Cheers mate, you are correct on both counts, it is lymmvale I am thinking of and it was orfe and not crucians. I found a site but I don't know how to copy a link. It is, "history of lymmvale by Mike Wilkinson"
Mike was the record holder , Top bloke, Lymmvale is a lovely place . It is an interesting read if it's the one I think it is,
I relinquished my Lymm Card this year after over 35 years in the club, this was mainly financial reasons due to now living in oxford and only getting up north when i can, lockdown played a big part as well.
I still keep in touch with a few bailiffs and members, i enjoyed being a bailiff, met a wide variety of members.

corkycat

I agree with a lot of these comments on Lymm Dam. I haven't fished it since the 1970s, but a couple of years ago I drove down there to have a look round. I was appalled by the amount of dog muck left behind on the footpath side of the water. I know there are pegs on the opposite bank where you will be undisturbed, but yes, I too found it to be a mess and will not be going back to fish it.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Bay Malton have reduced the pegs by half on there, They have stopped fishing off most of the pegs on the Baycliffe side ( the side opposite the church) .
I think they have left those in front of the church, one was a designated disabled peg ,no bivvies.when I was last there a couple of lads were bivvied up on it,
Not sure of pegs on the stones ( match length) towards the Nook.
I counted around 46 pegs on my walk round it, used to have 100 on there, and not close together either.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
I used to be a member of Lymm and I recollect that they gave up the water due to having to maintain all the banking around the water?

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I used to be a member of Lymm and I recollect that they gave up the water due to having to maintain all the banking around the water?
That's what I posted earlier, not sure if I was on the committee at the time,
The council seemed to be putting a lot of obstacles in the way when lease was up for renewal. The ironic thing is you never saw council workers around the Dam, it was either the countryside rangers or club members keeping it tidy.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
There's some big secrets in Lymm Dam, I suspect there's some targetable specimens which I'm planning on trying soon...

It's pretty much free fishing, tickets on the bank but there's never a bailiff to collect, at £5/ticket I must owe Bay Malton 150quid by now.

It's definitely not a match anglers cup'o tea but it's a decent place to just "go out fishing" for the day if you're local, or somewhere to take the little'ns on a fishing adventure:

full