Lurkers

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I can't help noticing that there are always more guests than members viewing the forums, are the guests members but not site supporters or are they 'lurkers' who are just having a nosey?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Guests are people viewing the site but not logged in

Rick123

Site Supporter
It's like a lot of forums, one I visit has typically 500 views for maybe two or three answers. So all these folk have nothing to say, bloody sad ain't it guys? Just looked 1325 views 35 answers, how the fu-k does that work?

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
They must be the sane ones, with more sense than to get involved. I guess it's akin to watching a horror film, ok to watch, but you wouldn't want to be in it. :eek::ghost:

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
They must be the sane ones, with more sense than to get involved. I guess it's akin to watching a horror film, ok to watch, but you wouldn't want to be in it. :eek::ghost:

are you talking about the politics section :oops:

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
are you talking about the politics section :oops:

All of it Mick. MD's site is what you make it. I have just looked at my profile, I have been on here 3 1/2 years ish and met some great people both online & in person. Have had loads of encouragement, advice, help and something you can't buy real banter that makes you laugh and then starts you thinking of a smart reply.

To anyone lurking on the side I can thoroughly recommend just diving in with a response to a question asked or by asking questions themselves.

Nicky Dodds

It's like a lot of forums, one I visit has typically 500 views for maybe two or three answers. So all these folk have nothing to say, bloody sad ain't it guys? Just looked 1325 views 35 answers, how the fu-k does that work?
I would say that if a thread runs for a decent length then a lot of the views could be repeat views from people that have a special interest in the thread and check back in every time there's a new post.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It doesn't work like that with this software, the thread view count is unique views not page views.
For instance, you might read this thread a zillion times but the thread view count will only record you once unless you log out after each browser session and the browser clears your viewing history.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter

Moderators have to view posts/threads all the time, over and over, you also have the bots from the likes of google, bling and yahoo who will visit to give results when people search.

As for lurking, when i shut down my settings clear everything, all cookies, history etc and when i boot up next time i don't always log in, i'll have a scan and if something needs dealing with i'll log in but if i don't see anything then i'll just stay as logged out.