LUNATIC'S HERE !!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubber

ANY BODY THINK MUCH ABOUT MOON TIMES?PHASES AFECTING FISH.
I KNOW IM NOT ALONE, WWW.MOONSTRIKE.CO.UK MAYBE I SHOULD START TAKING WATER IN IT ANY THOUGHT'S ANYONE.

martin.

Account Locked
hi chubber
welcome to the mad MDs
as for the moon phases i dont know to much about thembut our late friend ziptrev was a believer also archie braddocks goes by them if you try his site im notsure of the address
but i know its been linked on here several times

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
http://www.primetimes2.com/pages/4-astrotables.html

http://www.in-fisherman.com/asp/i_solunarTables.asp?tItem=2

Both good sites. Or a Google search on solunar tables. At least over here, we are convinced it is a combination of sun/moon that makes the hot times.

You can even buy a wrist watch that will give you the two or three predicted best times on a given day if you want. Lady I fish with regularly wears one and the thing is right on quite a bit of the time.

Newt Vail

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
The things we do to humour the inmates. lol

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

Chopper

Load of *&*##"!!

Would you wait while it was a full moon before going out and enjoying a curry?!!

Can't think I've ever heard of any other animals feeding pattern that evolves around lunar activity.

Water colour, temperature, bank activity, sun light, etc fair enough but where the moon is?????

Thought I'd say my piece otherwise a one sided debate would be boring [:D]

Lee Saville - Colmic Team Ossett

Individual 2002 World Club Champion, Zagreb - Croatia.
Individual 2002 Angling Times North East Region Winter League Champion.
2001 Embassy Division 1 National Team Champions.

www.colmic.com

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Aaaah but Mr Saville,

Read books, you might discover that certain species are affected by the moon, tides, winds and other phenomena.

Air pressure can certainly affect how fish feed and behave.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

Lid

Actually I always eat a curry when there's a full moon and I don't half wolf it down.

Lid - formerley known as Leighton [:)]

angler-mark

I definatly think there is something in it, in fact I've fished on many occasion when Archie has told me the moon charts were on for big Barbel and must be honest and say he has been proven right 99% of the time, so my advice for the doubters is, Don't knock it until you've tried it. If you can work out when the best time is to catch, it can save a lot of wasted hours fishing without catching.

Tight Lines

Mark

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Chris the owner of the moonstrike website is a great fella & is quite happy to share his findings with anyone who asks.(unlike a certain bait guru who decided to use Chris's stuff without asking & nearly got in a lot of trouble over it).

Lee

There are plenty of angling stars out there who use his site/calander & other info to help them plan "filming days" so there's got to be something in it mate.

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

Last edited:

mike s

Only fish at full moon[?] That's a real Howler[:D][:D]

"Wot, no Fish!"

Ian C

Hi Chubber,

I think the danger we face is giving animals/fish human traits.
We, as advanced beings have become acustomed to using our primary senses (sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste) to run our lives.

Animals however maybe call on things we can't. For example, how do birds navigate around the globe? How do Salmon return to the exact place they were bred from? Maybe gravity and magnetism have a part to play?

The fish in coasal waters are obviously affected by the tides, which cause the water to rise/fall by an average of 3ft. But there is such a thing as a Solid Earth Tide too, which has a lesser effect, causing the crust of the earth to rise/fall by about 8 inches or so.
Maybe the behaviour of the fresh water fish is linked to this Earth tide? I dunno.

All I know is aminal seem to have ways of detecting things we are oblivious to. How they chose to behave requires observation. Why they behave that way must be much trickier to determine I bet?

I don't think the fish are likely to jump onto our hooks because the moon is in a certain state/position. But maybe they become more active and willing to feed? If so, we would still need to locate them and present a bait in a manner they are comfortable with.

I have come across this lunar phase thing too, but only in relation to pike. If anyone knows of any info available relating to other fish I'd be interested to know more.
I suppose the only way to be sure is to keep detailed records over a long period of time. I haven't got to the stage of detailed record keeping, but I tend to note the moons phase and rise time before I go.
I for one have chosen to approach this with a receptive mind.

Ian C

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
LEE - check the adverts for sea angling vacations. The expensive ones to exotic spots. Most have a caution that they book quickly for not only prime times of year for the various species but for times when "the moon is right".

For instance, one for billfishing off Cabo San Lucas, Mexico that runs about 3000 for a week and you pay transportation to get there says:
Dates: Primary fishing season is March-November. Please be aware that prime fishing seasons and the best Lunar phases fill up well in advance.

Newt Vail

everyready

just look at sea fishing and try to book a good boat on a good tide some good boats booked one to two years ahead. and barbel do not seem to get down to feed on a full moonlite night when i am fishing[:(]

Lid

There's so much to this subject. Just look at the human brain where a large percentage doesn't seem to be used. Maybe as a species we have just 'forgotten' how to tune into to all sorts of things. [}:)]

A lot of people say astrology is rubbish and how can one in twelve be similar. However think of it this way - whilst developing in the womb, a foetus conceived in September is subjected to a completely different set of heavenly radiation and gravitational forces, as well as weather conditions, than a foetus conceived March. [:)]

And then there's aura's and energy fields. Don't you find you catch more fish if you have a positive attitude. Why do seemingly similar, decent people (I think) stick around on the MD forums - perhaps this web-site generates some sort of good, collective aura.

Of course there simple chemistry too. Ian mentioned salmon returning to their birth stream - is this navigation or detection of minute quantities of a river's chemical footprint? Some drugs are so potent only a few molecules need to get into the brain for a drastic affect.

Ian - I've never heard of the solid earth tide before. Can you point me at some more info please.

Lid - formerley known as Leighton [:)]

Chopper

It's all getting too deep and technical for me (specially as I'm on my fourth can of Stella!)

I'm just thinking of match fishing on certain venues and thinking a certain peg or pegs will always come up trumps and frame in the match and I usually have a good idea of what weight it will throw up due to weather, water clarity etc.

Perhaps if your a specimen angler camping out for a weekend to get one 'run' and it's a full moon then you'll get three runs???

Never ever heard of match organisers or venue owners specifying dates for big competitions to be in line with lunar movement to obtain the best weights.

???????!!!!!??!!!

Fish are supposed to be the dumbest/thickest of all animals, 5 second memory (which is rubbish!) "ooh, that maggot looks nice", fish swims towards maggot, memory span gone, thinks it's a cow, turns round and heads for the grass on the far bank.

I don't know enough about the subject to give scientific evidence for or against, just doubt it.

Sorry!

www.colmic.com

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
LEE - I fish when I can fish regardless of the prediction for the day. But do like to check the charts to get a hint of how the day may go. And certainly other local conditions will have a large effect. Excellent solunar conditions and a cold day with muddy water and the barometer going crazy will probably not result in lots of fish.

Basically for me, if I can only fish on a Saturday or a Sunday one weekend, I'll usually choose the one predicted to be best. And if there is a prime time listed for say 18:00 to 19:00, I'll probably make sure to stay on the water until after 19:00 even if I'd normally have left a little earlier. And for vacation planning, I'll pick a "hot" week over a "cold" week if there is nothing else affecting the days I choose to take.

And if you are fishing a match, everyone is facing the same solunar conditions so it evens out.

But you might, just for fun, check the links I provided above and keep track of the overall results on days predicted to be excellent or good or whatever. And see if the times predicted really did produce more fish.

Lots of long-time sea anglers rely on tide times to predict their best times. But the tides are controlled by sun and moon position so who is to say what is the cause.

Also, the same conditions that make fish active make land animals active and hunters should also notice more game on good days and the best hunting during the prime fishing times.

Newt Vail

Chopper

Newt,

ok, the tides at sea are affected by lunar activity but surely this is different to a 3 mile or 2 km stretch of canal or inland lake in the uk?

I don't know enough about the subject to agree or disagree but will have a look at the links you have provided.

Cheers [:)]

www.colmic.com

norm

lee
i loved that bit about the 5 second memory span
still laughing now (LOL)
nice one

Ian C

quote:Originally posted by Lid
Ian - I've never heard of the solid earth tide before. Can you point me at some more info please.
Hi Lid,

Just do a web search, you'll find loads, but unless you are a mathematical genius or fully understand the physics behind plate techtonics you'll be as baffled as me.lol

Here are a couple of simple bits of reading minus the maths [:)]...

Solid earth tides

The solid earth behaves like a liquid rising and falling in response to tidal forces. The tides in the solid earth were discovered in the sewers of Chicago at the turn of the century. Chicago had installed a new crosstown sewer, and engineers had done their best to get it level, yet twice a day the water height in the sewer varied. The change in the water level in the sewer was due to the motion of the surface of the earth in response to tidal forces from the moon and the sun. The high earth tide occurs pretty close to but not directly underneath the moon, (it lags behind the moon by a mere 4 degrees.)

http://www.predictweather.com/moo.html
http://www.whoi.edu/info/tides.html

It would appear the people studying earthquakes have an interest in the solid earth tides too.

Ian C

Status
Not open for further replies.