Lower Thames advice

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Me and my dad are off to a campsite on the Thames down at chertsey next Thursday for a bit of fishing on the Friday so I was wondering if anyone has had any success fishing the Thames in that area?

To be honest any advice on fishing the lower Thames would be gratefully received as whilst I have plenty of experience fishing my local stretches of the middle Thames in Oxfordshire I have never fished the lower part but believe it is a very different beast down there to up here.

Thanks in advance for your help!

david white

Site Supporter
Fish early or late if possible try and find the flow if on the float hemp and tares to avoid the bleak, small crumb feeder with pellets and banded pellet if there’s any bream about
( very much generalisation to be honest haven’t fish lower Thames for years but the stick float say two rods out over any cabbages or near side weeds was always the way back in the day, try moving the float up by say two foot and lay on just before dusk ....... used to get the odd bonus fish but as I say that was many moons ago )

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thanks that gives me something to start with. Think we’ll be taking travel rods for convenience seeing as it’s only a one session trip so I’ll take a John Wilson Avon/quiver and a jw young trotter to cover most bases. Bait wise we’ll take probably take maggots, hemp, pellets and bread.