Lower river Stour in christchurch.

baz1

Going off on a weeks holiday to Christchurch, on the 21st of this month. I have got permission to fish the above river, from some ones back garden. Its below Tuckton bridge but above the Large newish hotel. A 30 yard stretch of bank with no moored boats. Any information will be thankfully accepted. On the Wednesday, my dream, a day on the Royalty. Rest of the week have to keep the gaffer happy, so lots of shopping and sight seeing. Thanking anyone for their information in advance, thank you.

Total

Site Supporter
@baz1 ....@MarkW on here knows the area probably better than most.....Although the exact back garden stretch, I'm not so sure! :giggle:

.....Sounds like a 'dream'....Enjoy. (y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve fished at the meadow bank stretch which isn’t far above where you are going although it will be tidal where you are. Where I was I had plenty of Dace, Small Chub and the odd Roach on stick float and maggots, bread for more roach. Maggots feeder good for the Dace as well. Plenty of pike as well. Could be very different where you are but wouldn’t have thought so. Certainly plenty of fish in the lower Avon so Stour should be similar.

MarkW

Although you will be in someone's garden I think you will need a Ringwood DAA day ticket as ALL fishing rights are owned by Southern Fisheries (they also control the Royalty) who lease them to RDAA. Those who have gardens backing on to Throop have a similar issue; even though they own the land they have no fishing rights. I can double check with RDAA if you want as I'm on the RDAA forum. Even boat fishing is permit controlled down there and on almost all of Christchurch Harbour.

I've fished down there, known as Wick, a lot and in summer it's a mixture of roach, some bream and silver bream, and mullet. There are also odd bleak, dace and chublets but nothing like the numbers up at Meadowbank, no pike. It fishes differently to further up and bread is by far the best bait, fished with groundbait. Maggots will attract bleak although maggots are better in winter. I prefer to float fish bread punch on a 16 or 14 but legering flake with a cage feeder will also work. Hemp and tares works upstream from Tuckton - all on the same day ticket and far more choice of swims.

rd350lc

Get yourself a packet of bacon , cut them into slithers to mount on the hook and give the harbour wall behind the black house in mudeford a go for the bass , course fishing gear with an Avon type float will suffice , it can be awesome on the right tide , free fishing too !

baz1

Thanks a lot for your info. Its just to pass a few hours while the gaffer is watching her soaps. Its below Tuckton bridge in some ones boat free garden Being on a river, will be the enjoyment, catching fish is secondary. Thanks Mark. was hoping for a few nice roach on the hemp/tares, after twelve months on commercials with just carp pulling your string, I was looking forward to seeing a stick moving through the swim. As you say, will have to ask at Davies on the ticket, as she says she pays £75 a year to fish there. R, thanks but its too far, for an hour.

MarkW

As it's tidal down there the river will flow both ways, may stand at times and the depth will vary by as much as 3ft. Usually the best tide is a steady run off but I've done well after mullet putting in groundbait at low water when the river has stopped moving and fish bread over it with the mullet coming up river on the rising tide, along with bream. Hemp and tares SHOULD work down there but it's hardly fished nowadays due to lack of access bar a few swims though some regulars fish from a boat, usually with bread, and the roach may not respond. Further up such as on Throop the roach are conditioned to hemp and tares - I usually just fish tares on the hook and feed hemp - and the response, once we're into July, is instant. I'll be interested in knowing how you get on. That area used to be phenomenal many years ago after November when the dace moved up from the Harbour in huge numbers and the towpath bank was fishable between the moorings; conditions had to be right with a tinge of colour and mild weather, a clear river and a hard frost meant no bites - I drew it in a winter league after a frost and the entire section blanked though I had a moment of excitement when the float dipped but it was an out of season seatrout which didn't count!

baz1

Your a gent Mark. Had to revise my thinking and tackle, after your comments. Will now put in a 12 feeder rod and a few cage feeders for the bread. Leave the barbel rod and heavy line for the Wednesday,s treat, a day on the Royalty. There is no rain forecast,t for the week we are going so I am assuming that the river will be clear. So, I will take your advice and give the hemp/tares a miss this year. Once again, many thanks for your help.

baz1

Good day young man. Lovely week. Rained everyday, but did get the woman out during the day when the rain ceased. Tried fishing on the Stour. it was at the end of a ladies garden, but it was a backwater and not the flowing river. Weather was atrocious and the wind was so strong. Anyway, fished a too heavy waggler due to the wind, but only had one crab on bread flake. Found out that it was low tide and to be successful, you had to fish at high tide or when it was running off. Never mind just sitting there by the river was wonderful, even saw my favourite bird, a kingfisher. On the Thursday, I had a morning on the Royalty. Hammering through due to the excessive rain, we had had that week. Sat on the first bend above the boathouse but the flow was too strong. So moved downstream of the bend where the bailiff parks his boat in a little cut out. Plumbed it and got six feet of flowing water as a backswim. Fishing a 3 swan chubber, finished with two trout. Luncheon meat got me a 3 and a half pound sea trout, and a 6mm halibut, saw a two pound brown trout in the net. Beautiful holiday, especially fishing the hallowed Royalty.