Lovely Reservoir Roach Session

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
So after making a bit of a hash of it last weekend I was back at boddington reservoir today in search of roach. It was a perfect day weather wise being warm but not hot with enough of an occasional breeze to keep it comfortable but not enough to mess up presentation. All it needed was for the fish to play ball and they certainly did this time and I got my act together and fished better so it turned out a really nice session.

I started fishing at about 8.30 on the deck at 11ft but instant fish on the drop saw me go pretty much straight over to my other rod which was set at 6ft and from then til about 10.30 it was a constant stream of roach and the odd perch but only in the 2-4oz range. I’d noticed the better fish were coming earlier on the cast so at 10.30 I shallowed up to about 4ft. This upped the roach stamp to 4-8oz plus added some bigger perch whilst maintaining the same constant stream of bites so really improved the session. That really good spell lasted till about 1.30 when the bites slowed but up until about 2.30 I was still picking up a few fish having now dropped back down to about 5ft. From then though it just died with no more fish until packing up at about 4. It was towing like mad swat from the bank then so maybe it just pushed the fish out of float range. Wasn’t too fussed by that though as I reckon I’d had about 75 roach and about 10 perch for I would think over 20lb which I thought pretty good for effectively 6 hours fishing given the barren last 90 minutes. Us probably my best ever bag from a fairly natural Stillwater so I was very happy with it. Was a fascinating session in how it took tinkering with the depth and varying the feed amounts and casting range to keep the fish coming and the stamp up. Didn’t get any of the pound plus roach of last weekend but had a couple Perch around that mark and was more than happy with the numbers of good stamp fish.

Tackle wise all fish came to the 14ft and 13ft drennan acolyte ultra float rods paired with the 2500 shimano sahara RD reels loaded with 3lb maxima to 1.5G drennan loaded crystal insert wagglers to size 18 to 2lb drennan silverfish hooks to nylon. Obviously the longer rod was used for fishing on the deck and the shorter one for up in the water. Hook bait was single red maggot over loose feed of red maggots over dynamite silver x black roach groundbait.

My grandad was with me again today and had a good day as well. He didn’t catch quite as many as me as he finds the constant casting and feeding of fishing up in the water hard work these days so just went at his own pace but I reckon he still had maybe 60 fish for pushing 15lb.

All in all it was certainly a lovely session and probably my best of the closed season in terms of enjoyability and execution of plans. The fish were clearly more up for it than last week and the conditions were better but I definitely fished better as well so good for a plan to come together. I’m away with mates next weekend so today will likely turn out to be my last Stillwater session of the year with the rivers open by the time I’ll next be on the bank. Very much looking forward to the rivers of course but have enjoyed trying a couple new Stillwaters in the last couple weeks so I’ll definitely be back on them next closed season.

Pics of the swim, a few roach that were about the stamp for the session after the first couple hours of smaller fish and a couple of the better perch.
1622910253386.jpeg
1622910267350.jpeg
1622910289702.jpeg
1622910311293.jpeg
1622910328013.jpeg
1622910394552.jpeg
1622910424182.jpeg

david white

Site Supporter
You’ve got to happy catch fish like that ( when the fish disappeared did you try fishing 3 to 6 foot either side of your normal catching area ? )
Don’t know how the Thames in your neck of the woods fishes these days ( been up here in North Yorkshire for 21 years now ! still miss the Thames, its tributaries and the Grand Union canal ) but it used to take until mid July for the fish to get back out anglers bait depending on weather conditions too !

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You’ve got to happy catch fish like that ( when the fish disappeared did you try fishing 3 to 6 foot either side of your normal catching area ? )
Don’t know how the Thames in your neck of the woods fishes these days ( been up here in North Yorkshire for 21 years now ! still miss the Thames, its tributaries and the Grand Union canal ) but it used to take until mid July for the fish to get back out anglers bait depending on weather conditions too !
Yes very happy with them indeed. And yes tried all sorts that last hour they just seemed to have moved off. Didn’t even get any perch which you normally get when the roach drop off.

As you may recall from my reports last year the Thames still fishes really well for roach and often perch and bream. But yes is generally getting on for a week into July until it fishes well sometimes mid July.

david white

Site Supporter
As the saying goes you can’t catch wasn’t not in front of you !
Of course I remember last years reports ( I wasn’t at all envious 🤢 honest ) I was just remembering the number of years we used to count of the days to the 16th ( even more so during the old close season days ) and then the fishing would be dire for the first month or so ( still went every opportunity though ! ) on the rivers but you could rely on the canal to produce

satinet

Site Supporter
Eek. Making me jealous.

Yeah the tow can be out of this world like I said in your last post. Stick float :)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
As the saying goes you can’t catch wasn’t not in front of you !
Of course I remember last years reports ( I wasn’t at all envious 🤢 honest ) I was just remembering the number of years we used to count of the days to the 16th ( even more so during the old close season days ) and then the fishing would be dire for the first month or so ( still went every opportunity though ! ) on the rivers but you could rely on the canal to produce
Haha you need to treat yourself to a couple days up here and have a go on the river again mate 👍🏻 But yes first couple weeks are an exercise in frustration but it’s good to just be back on the rivers and rivers it lets you get into the groove ready for when the fish properly switch on come July 🙂

Eek. Making me jealous.

Yeah the tow can be out of this world like I said in your last post. Stick float :)
You should come and give it a go mate, wasn’t quite as busy today as it was the bank holiday weekend either.

And yeah I couldn’t believe the tow. Was sat dead still until about 2 then it started to pick up and by 3 your float was marching off against the wind! Was no more than the odd zephyr all day so not sure where the tow blew up from maybe they opened the gates 🤔

satinet

Site Supporter
Haha you need to treat yourself to a couple days up here and have a go on the river again mate 👍🏻 But yes first couple weeks are an exercise in frustration but it’s good to just be back on the rivers and rivers it lets you get into the groove ready for when the fish properly switch on come July 🙂

You should come and give it a go mate, wasn’t quite as busy today as it was the bank holiday weekend either.

And yeah I couldn’t believe the tow. Was sat dead still until about 2 then it started to pick up and by 3 your float was marching off against the wind! Was no more than the odd zephyr all day so not sure where the tow blew up from maybe they opened the gates 🤔
I used to fish boddy quite often a few years ago. Used to love it but then it got busy with people spodding and shouting etc. Don't know about the tow. Whether it's the size of the water but it can be very strong. There is a gate system at the other end for the canal for sure.

Might go soon if I can get the time.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I used to fish boddy quite often a few years ago. Used to love it but then it got busy with people spodding and shouting etc. Don't know about the tow. Whether it's the size of the water but it can be very strong. There is a gate system at the other end for the canal for sure.

Might go soon if I can get the time.
There’s certainly a lot of spodding going on, some appear to spod more than they fish! Must be about 6 inches deep at 60m by the time they’ve finished given how much bait they put in 😅

But yes definitely worth a trip for the roach and perch. Seems very slow for carp atm.

satinet

Site Supporter
There’s certainly a lot of spodding going on, some appear to spod more than they fish! Must be about 6 inches deep at 60m by the time they’ve finished given how much bait they put in 😅

But yes definitely worth a trip for the roach and perch. Seems very slow for carp atm.
I know. When we started it was 2014 and it used to be very quiet when we went in the evenings. After a few months the spodding posse turned up and started banging in kilos of bait a few pegs down.

The Mrs once caught 9 carp on a surface controller, mostly decent doubles,in under 2 hours. Great fun times. Then it just seemed to get busy and the fishing not as good.

I've always enjoyed the roach fishing there though. Sweet corn used to be good.

satinet

Site Supporter
I'd like to try it with hemp as reckon it would work well when they're up in the water like they were today
Yeah probably. I've never tried it tbh. Probably small pellets/expanders would be good as they are used to the spodders filling the lake in with pellets and boilies all day long. They must be eating it with the number of decent sized roach there are.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah probably. I've never tried it tbh. Probably small pellets/expanders would be good as they are used to the spodders filling the lake in with pellets and boilies all day long. They must be eating it with the number of decent sized roach there are.
True they certainly see a lot of pellets so must eat them

Total

Site Supporter
Looks and reads like a lovely days fishing....Well angled young man.....;)(y)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Top write up and a lovely looking set of fish - well fished that man