LOVE FISHING!! - KEEP ON CASTING....

HALTON DANGLER

You fish enough you see the peaks in your angling and also the troughs, good times and hard but remember at the end of every storm is a rainbow and the turn can come when you least expect lads

Keep on casting

Sometimes it's written in stars..... ☆☆First of all there will be no youtube video made of this fish its far to precious to the chances of this rivers barbel making a comeback to the added pressure that comes with people who watch videos to chase other exploits. ☆☆

So onto the adventure A rare day off work I decided on hitting the banks of the beautiful river dane, my normal haunts inaccessible due to road closure it was back in car and off to find new water and new adventures in a new stretch, nothing to loose, boy did the fish gods answer...

The river clear in margins but carrying colour and pace she looked bang on. Drip feeding maggots while setting up my trusty Korum glide with 4lb line and my trust 2lb1oz bayer perlon I hoped for a quiet days fishing for dace, roach and if I got Mr chub.

One or two chublets graced my palm before the float buried and I struck, solid.....snag... it was then the snag moved and began heading upstream at a rate of knots. With such light gear you quickly get to a point where no more pressure can be exerted. Surely this was game over with the barbel heading for a snag. Fingers on the spool she made her first mistake in turning and heading back to me.

All manner of ideas went through head, Pike, big chub....carp??? And then down stream up came the bronze flanks of a barbel....insert some swearing rhyming with "hook me"

An endless battle of attrition seemed to play out her taking line me thinking this is where it all ends, surely the 2lb line wouldn't hold. Coming upstream and with only a small net with me I had no choice but to get in the margins of the river to the very edge of wellies to get her head in the net and fold the rest of her in.

We both sat and had a well earned rest before taking some pictures....going 10lb on the nose I was shaking with happiness.

Barbel are rare now in this river, a double even rarer and I bet there's not many had one on such light gear...

. Buzzing is simply a simple way of putting it, I have all the go pro footage of the battle and hopefully one day stocks will recover to the stage such a video can be released

. Danny

Screenshot_20211013-150543_Instagram.jpg

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
As I mentioned on your FB page , an absolutely awesome catch Danny, I bet you're still grinning from ear to ear. 😃

A 10lb Barbel is one hell of a fish, especially given the tackle you were using, a true once in a lifetime capture. :upthumb::upthumb::upthumb:

HALTON DANGLER

Like a proper Cheshire cat mate, floating, will no doubt catch bigger at some stage barbel wise but don't think I will ever top that from that river on that gear

david white

Site Supporter
Hats of to you Danny two fold
a) obviously for the capture of such a stunning fish
b) for not basking in the glory of its capture on you tube ( unlike a certain North Yorkshire you tuber who seems to take great pleasure in publishing videos showing his repeat captures of fish that have been caught by dedicated anglers who have put in the time and effort to source such captures )

SeanB

Site Supporter
That's a magnificent fish Danny, well done on such a well earned result 👍

smiffy

Site Supporter
Doffs cap👏
Superb fish and what sport it must have been. I hook a few Chub through the winter on light gear and it‘s always bum clenching fun despite them being nowhere near 10lb. Just wish my local rivers held such surprises. Alas, so far, only rumours, although there must still be one or two fish left from stockings years ago.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Cracking achievement mate... well dangled...👍

HALTON DANGLER

Cheers peeps, still buzzing and reliving it in head. Watched go pro footage first time last night, luck plays such a big part it was out of sight upstream taking line, what ever made it turn I have no idea