Lots of fish on little feed

dave brittain 1

The middle of the dam wall is one of the most consistent areas on the reservoir, it holds fish all year. In the summer the shallows up on the left hand bank can be superb. The fish aren't as heavy as people think they are generally around 3lbs with 4 lbs being very good fish.

Next time you go let me know as it's only a few miles from where I live and if I'm free I can pop down for a chat.

Chard 53lbs 4th.jpg

Zerkalo

The middle of the dam wall is one of the most consistent areas on the reservoir, it holds fish all year. In the summer the shallows up on the left hand bank can be superb. The fish aren't as heavy as people think they are generally around 3lbs with 4 lbs being very good fish.

Next time you go let me know as it's only a few miles from where I live and if I'm free I can pop down for a chat.

Chard 53lbs 4th.jpg
Nice one! I'm back down in June so will drop you a message closer to the time.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Another good one here mate.
I think it's all relative to keeping the fish coming and must be proportional to the shoal size firstly, but also conditions must play a massive part. They say feeding is the key, but with so many variables impacting on it. If it was an exact science and you could compile a chart with all possibilities leading you to set amounts, fishing would lose its edge.

Mulling over lately about where feed is put too, river or still water, too much in a place the fish aren't that keen on moving into or too close to an area they need for their peace of 'mind' to back off too, then it's wasted bait. Not enough in a place where they want it, then same outcome.

Coming at it another way, when you measure a session, i think you can only put your finger on one thing when you can confidently eliminate all of the others as aspects you got right. Think feeding remains up there as an essential to get right and for a given spot.

Zerkalo

For me feeding is more important than presentation. Anybody can shot or present a float, however it is feeding combined with presentation that sets the good anglers apart
Do you have a way of approaching Chard especially feed wise, if you don't mind me asking?

Zerkalo

Not that much you can get wrong on a cage feeder compared to the float really. Hooklength, feeder size and weight... other anglers I remember fishing a method feeder there with Wafters I think and didn't catch much. I got there, a completely new and fairly big venue to me, knew it had Bream and that was about it, considered getting the groundbait catapult out but didn't want to upset other anglers on the busy bank so just had 10 casts with the same feeder I used throughout the day to kick start the peg and it was already solid with fish.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
It's wise to begin cautiously in cold weather, especially if it's a venue that you don't know, and you haven't managed to get into about what works on the venue.

dave brittain 1

Not that much you can get wrong on a cage feeder compared to the float really. Hooklength, feeder size and weight... other anglers I remember fishing a method feeder there with Wafters I think and didn't catch much. I got there, a completely new and fairly big venue to me, knew it had Bream and that was about it, considered getting the groundbait catapult out but didn't want to upset other anglers on the busy bank so just had 10 casts with the same feeder I used throughout the day to kick start the peg and it was already solid with fish.
The old adage of "fish feeder think float" either by Ivan Marks or Ken Giles is something every angler should bear in mind when fishing the feeder. The quote relates to the amount of feed you put in the feeder and how often you put it in which in part dictates your catch rate and how many fish you attract into the swim. If the fish are competing for the feed bites come quick and fast. If they mop up the feed and you are waiting ages for bites, do you continue tip watching or have three or four casts with a big feeder to get them back in the swim and competing for the feed. Do you take the big feeder off or go back to a medium feeder?

How do you know you haven't over fed them when your bites die off? putting it all together and knowing what to do and when is what sets the good anglers apart, however 9 times out of 10 they will be looking to try and attack and generally only cut back or start a new line if they think they have blown their main line, unless they decide it simply needs a rest in which case they may refeed and start another line before coming back onto their original line once they think it has recovered or alternatively they may just wait it out as sometimes the whole venue switches off.

There's a lot more to feeder fishing than jut throwing it out.

With reference to Chard I don't fish it a lot and my approach will be directed by conditions, where I draw and what I expect to catch. Not to mention what the anglers do around me. Ideally I want a line to myself, however I'll sacrifice distance for accuracy every time. I'll generally start with a large cage feeder and will spend the first 10 minutes casting putting a bed of groundbait, caster and worm in or alternatively micro's and dead reds.

Set up is either braid or 3lbs maxima and an 8lb shock leader to a semi fixed paternoster rig and 3ft hook length to 0.13 and a size 14 hook with 2 1/2 dendras or 3 dead reds on the hook.

The above is supplemented with a medium sized method feeder on another rod so I can swap and change. The amount of feed and chopped worm I put in the feeder depends on how the fish react and how quickly I'm catching. Note in match situation with every peg in it's the anglers that do it right that catch the most, although being in the right area is also critical. Bream do move and it wouldn't be the fist time in a match when the fish simply disappear.

Zerkalo

Thanks for the detailed response again. I think if I went back to Chard I'd be wanting to fish the same area I did last year on the dam wall and probably kick it off in a similar way. Got to keep the bites coming though, changing feeder size, starting new lines etc! I should mention I was fishing quite close in 30-40m range maybe, a lot of other anglers were casting much further than me. It seemed I was fishing just past some rocks as the feeder got caught on them a couple of time.

dave brittain 1

Zerkalo with pleasure fishing you can get away with a lot and in summer if you have the water to yourself pleasure fishing you can catch a lot of fish as it is IMO one of the best bream waters in the UK

Zerkalo

Zerkalo with pleasure fishing you can get away with a lot and in summer if you have the water to yourself pleasure fishing you can catch a lot of fish as it is IMO one of the best bream waters in the UK
It was busy when I went along the dam wall, but I agree it's a cracking venue. Can't wait to return.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
For me feeding is more important than presentation. Anybody can shot or present a float, however it is feeding combined with presentation that sets the good anglers apart
This is the magic answer to 99.9% of why anglers don’t maximise their peg. Feeding is the most important part of fishing, followed by presentation.