Lost trades

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
When I left school in 1971 a mate of mine got a job as an apprentice Cooper, don't see them nowadays.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I started work in 1970 as an apprentice mechanical fitter working on generators, The sizes ranged from small portable to ones where you could stand up in the sump , the external oil filters were nearly 6' tall, some of these were also used as marine diesel engines.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
@Dave Spence He's a big Fella mate, i remember proper giving him some Pasty when he was in a bad mood, he ended up chucking Bricks at me from the scaffold, it was like home alone :LOL: :LOL:
I called him a miserable Fat F..k and went to the local, i walked in the lass behind the bar said usual Dave ? i said yes and ya better put a pint of bitter at the side of it as them doors are gonna bust open soon and i'll be dead if there aint, true enough in bursts Jim walked up at the side of me picked the pint up supped half of it and said Good job any one else id throw em through the window :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: To which i said calm down ya big divvy, he still talks about this now and it happened 25 year ago.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
@Dave Spence He's a big Fella mate, i remember proper giving him some Pasty when he was in a bad mood, he ended up chucking Bricks at me from the scaffold, it was like home alone :LOL: :LOL:
I called him a miserable Fat F..k and went to the local, i walked in the lass behind the bar said usual Dave ? i said yes and ya better put a pint of bitter at the side of it as them doors are gonna bust open soon and i'll be dead if there aint, true enough in bursts Jim walked up at the side of me picked the pint up supped half of it and said Good job any one else id throw em through the window :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: To which i said calm down ya big divvy, he still talks about this now and it happened 25 year ago.
Nice when differences are resolved over a pint mate(y)

Wise Owl

Account Locked
The thing on the Building trade that aint been lost is the Banter and great friendships made (y)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The main house on the estate we stayed at last weekend had Goat skin wallpaper in the main entrance hall.
It needed restoring and there was/is only one tradesman left in the country who could do it.
He lives in Northampton and the house is in Cumbria and as he couldnt drive he had to be collected and taken to the job, then taken home back to his workshop
It took two years to restore the wallpapers.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I was a Master Butcher... rare to get lads doing that job now... to many bandsaw merchants at the supermarket warehouses... I started as a trainee cutter and got my certificate 4 years later

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The banter can be good but there is a fine line to tread at times. A lot of the lads, and lasses, are rough diamonds. Great when the going is good but call a spade a spade when its not.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
When I left school in 1971 a mate of mine got a job as an apprentice Cooper, don't see them nowadays.

Jack Daniel's still make barrels by hand

BARRELS AREN’T BUILT. THEY’RE RAISED.

We aren’t just putting our whiskey into barrels. We’re entrusting it to them. Our whiskey will spend a good amount of time there, drawing all of its rich amber color and much of its distinctive flavor from the barrels. Barrels are such a big part of our whiskey's character, it’s why we make them ourselves. It isn't easy. And it’s probably why we’re one of the only distilleries in the world that does it.

Our barrels are made of mainly two materials—American White Oak and meticulous American craftsmanship. They aren’t held together by glue or nails, but by the sheer pressure of the wood’s precise arrangement. 33 separate wood staves, to be exact. No two the same size. It’s a task far too meticulous to be carried out on an automated assembly line. Once assembled, the barrel’s interior is toasted and charred to coax the wood’s natural sugars out and caramelize them. Those sugars are such an important part of where our whiskey flavor develops, we’ve painstakingly developed our own method of toasting our barrels that’s exclusive to Jack Daniel’s.

All this precision and hands-on effort for a barrel we use once. Only new American White Oak barrels mature our whiskey. After the barrels are done imparting their flavor to our whiskey, we sell them to hot sauce makers, beer brewers, and Scotch whisky distillers who will reuse them several more times. And because these barrels were once home to our Tennessee Whiskey, we like to think we’ve done our part to help make these products just a little better.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I worked for a company 25 years ago that managed to source some Quartersawn Polish Oak for one of the last few Coopers in the UK. They had been given the task of replacing the Burton Unions used by Marstons Brewery for their Pedigree bitter. They were struggling for a source of oak as the staves used were about 1.8 Metres in length and had to be free of any knots or defects, which means an awful lot of wastage.

Really interesting how they make barrels especially the Iron Man machine that steams and bends the staves.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
The only thing wrong in the building trade and its very rare with me is Non Payers, i hate them, but there is ways and Means.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
My mate used to say he was a Gusset stitcher in a Knicker Factory. His real job was a Fork Truck Driver.