Lost Feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

snakey

PAA COACH
Fishing for bream on a local lake using braid mainline and clipped up for accuracy I lost 4 feeders on the cast.I thought I was punching it out too hard but despite feathering the line they still snapped off.I tried switching from a paternoster setup to a triple loop but I still lost feeders on the cast,changed to mono and didn`t lose anymore, any ideas on where I was going wrong?[?]

NOT TAKEN UP GOLF YET

sully

hi snakey
braid does'nt stretch,try some powergum between braid and mono, this acts as a shock absorber, especially when line is clipped.
sully

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I have experienced similar things with braid. It seemed to me that the line had tangled then caught in the rod rings on the cast.
I suggest that
a. Do not close the bail arm by tuning the handle this can cause a small loop to be thrown.
b. check the spool before every cast.
c. rather than clip up which in itself might be the problem if theres a rough/jagged edge on the clip. Use a stop knot tied at the required point, when you hear it go thru the rings then feather the cast down.
it may be that you are casting to hard and not feathering down quick enough. Braid has very little shock loading for its breaking strain.
Using braid means going thru a new learning curve. To use it in all methods is wrong it has its advantages but disadvantages as well.
If its to improve the bite detection then I see no point in incorperating powergum. The stretch of powergum totaly negates the advantage that braid gives you.

chill out go fishing

jonesr

Snakey,welcome. You do'nt say what strain of braid you are using?

Ron J

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Kev,

I had the same problem with paternoster rigs at Hayfield a few years ago( the rod eventually got thrown up the bank and i fished the pole).

I found that the feeders had no stretch in the link section and switched to a different type of feeder.When fishing with braid cast softer as someone else has stated braid has no stretch so cannot absorb the cast.

If i am fishing braid the only feeders i use are the ones with powergum in the link.For mono i will use both.

I also attach mineto a swivel and never direct to braid or mono.this helps prevent the line twisting above both the feeder and hooklength.

Hope this helps Keith

Golfs a game for people who can't catch fish

G

Snakey you must have a shock leader on,

I use 8lb braid, i always attatch a 4foot, more i you wish,leader onto it, always use a micro swivel, which eliminates line twist when casting, i never use the clip, look at the braid when you think you are at the distance you are fishing at, when the braid gets lighter in colour you know you are at distance, feather your line.

I have not had much problems doing it this way,

catch me if u can
Andy,

snakey

PAA COACH
thanks for the advice/tips. Will let you know how I get on.

NOT TAKEN UP GOLF YET

Status
Not open for further replies.