Lost at hook a duck

davej1981

Went down the club lake today, lovely warm day, plenty of fish showing what could possibly go wrong. Setup a method, pellet wag and margin rig. Firsly totally forgot my micros we’re soaking and ended up with pellets useless for the method! So started on the pellet waggler and stayed with it for 2.5hrs and managed just 3 fish, one at 7lb two others around 3lb. All 3 were mugged! No proper bites on the pellet wag and most fish i cast to just turned away. So down the edge i went. I sat on this peg sunday in the rain and was bagging in the edge from 11:30 so today should be equally as good. After another 1.5hrs 1 lost fish and a handful of liners i finally had a fish very last put in around 4lb. There were the odd fish in the margins but they were unusually spooky today. If they so much as touched the line they bow waved out, most unusual as this lake normally fishes very well. A couple of guys next to me were also struggling and had just a couple of fish each. So much for these types of waters always being hook a duck

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Firsly totally forgot my micros we’re soaking and ended up with pellets useless for the method!
To save the situation if you make the same mistake again, just mix some dry groundbait into them to save the day, should be perfectly useable on a method/hybrid feeder. I quite often do it deliberately as the ground bait will release a cloud as it breaks down.

davej1981

To save the situation if you make the same mistake again, just mix some dry groundbait into them to save the day, should be perfectly useable on a method/hybrid feeder. I quite often do it deliberately as the ground bait will release a cloud as it breaks down.
If i had any groundbait I would have done. Ended up potting them down then edge so they werent wasted!

davej1981

Had a much better today, about 85lb in 4hrs, all caught on a the pole and pellet- on the deck at 8m, few in the margin, a few slapping and a few mugging. A variety of techniques made for an enjoyable day- enough to keep me ticking over until i get back to matches

davej1981

Another return to the lake yesterday and at last the fish seemed to have switched on Yesterday. Started at around 9:45 and finished at 3:30. Fished just 2 lines, topkit + 1 straight in front and the same but to my right in the margin. Started off straight out in front fishing 8mm pellet over 6mm pellet and corn. Had a steady run of fish to around 8lb, catching a fish every 10-15 mins before it slowed down after an hr. I plodded on for another hr picking off the odd fish. Around 11:30 i saw a couple of fish in the margin so potted in 3 pots of corn and 1 of 6mm pellet. Gave it til 12 then went straight in with a pot of corn and an 8mm pellet. From then on i caught there all day catching carp from 3lb to 11/12lb. I caught steady but wouldn’t describe it as frantic and finished up in 6hrs with an estimated 195lb. This is by far my best day ever having only hit 100lb once before. Id always imagined catching that kind of weight would be frantic action but i would say it was more steady and there were periods where it went quiet.