Loss of a great fishery

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
I've tried to get some info on Listerhills Old Boys, for ages, and struggled to find anything on line. We had a lady join MD asking for info' on fishing the L&L, and she couldn't find anything either. Are you a member, or have any contact details, you could pass on ... please?

John.
I'm from Idle originally so used to fish Pilleys dam and the canal. Eddie Harrison runs the club and matches...

JayD

I'm from Idle originally so used to fish Pilleys dam and the canal. Eddie Harrison runs the club and matches...

Thank for that Jonathan, I did try to contact him last year but didn't get any reply, the lady I mentioned also had the same trouble the last I heard. I'll try again. I used to fish the 'barge yard' when the old power station used to be opposite, had some good catches of roach, and my first pike from the canal. We used to have a problem with kids using us for air rifle practise, firing down from the safety of the golf course, I caught up with one of them in my late teens, and he got dealt with, and his rifle got 'accidently' broken and then both he and it, accidently 'fell' into the canal. ;)

John.

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
Thank for that Jonathan, I did try to contact him last year but didn't get any reply, the lady I mentioned also had the same trouble the last I heard. I'll try again. I used to fish the 'barge yard' when the old power station used to be opposite, had some good catches of roach, and my first pike from the canal. We used to have a problem with kids using us for air rifle practise, firing down from the safety of the golf course, I caught up with one of them in my late teens, and he got dealt with, and his rifle got 'accidently' broken and then both he and it, accidently 'fell' into the canal. ;)

John.
Phone Eccleshill Angling for tickets etc matey...

Foul hooked

There are many things that influence fish stocks and sometimes the reasons for a fisheries decline remain a mystery but can also be attributed to a single factor. As youngster we fished the canalised section of the Soar running through the centre of Leicester known as the mile long straights. On a weekend sometimes it was impossible to find a peg. Quality Roach, Tench, the odd carp and shoals of Rudd could be found. When the power station closed down (now the site of the King Power stadium) and the hot water from the cooling towers ceased, the fish all disappeared. Haven't seen anyone fishing it now for years.