losing the first section?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob27

peg nine
What do you think of the idea of discarding the first section of a pole when fishing commercials and just elasticating to the second section?

Do you think it improves the performance of the pole as some matchfishers suggest?

Obviously you are left with less length but is it worth it when weighed up with the improved performance(if there is any that is)?

How does the elastication work if you do this - how many sections should you elasticate?

Also are there any rules for this, for example should you only do this with an out and out carp pole - or is one of the all rounders o.k.?

thanks

http://www.geocities.com/stillwatercoarseangler

rob27

peg nine
oops - think wires have been crossed - my fault didn't explain what I meant very well.

What I mean is not using the 1st section at all and using the second section as the end of your pole if you know what I mean, I have read a lot of anglers do this - but I never have and am wondering what everybody thinks of it.

thanks

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
The method of discarding the top section is suggested where the cutting back of it would leave a very short section, when using the heavier laccys ie size 20 Its then a case of fitting a larger ptfe guide to the second section. The make and type of pole obviously dictates whether or not this is required.

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
John,
The idea of discarding the top section applies to people who prefer to use the standard match top 3's as opposed to power top 2's.
The idea being that a match top 3 with the first section discarded doesn't have such an adverse effect on the balance of the pole as fitting a heavier power top 2.[;)]

Peter.
Datafile3.asp

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Stu Dav

Davi
Hello Rob27
I have a Diaflash with the top one removed completely on two of my top's, one with 20's and the other with 16's elastic however you will find that you need to use the two and three section which will force you to use the little thingy magig doofer gagit and "fold" the sections in order to store them and you will of course need big bushes.
Av not broke mine yet and its had some serious hammer on Border Specimen lake with carp over 10lbs not uncommon.
Give it a whirl theres nothing to loose coz theres no cutting involved.
It will raise the odd eye brow and it tend to bully the fish in as you will be pointing the pole tip at the fish in most cases.
4lb hook lengths and strong hooks required....and dig your heals in.
I've not tried it Hydro yet coz I think its an expensive gimmick.
There that should open the flood gate of critisism.

Stu Dav
ps works on Heron Brook Canal aswell.

rob27

peg nine
so let me get this straight I run the elastic through sections 2 and 3?

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
i discard my number 1 setion and the pole def works better and the elastic works perfectly and i only run elastic through the number 2 section also doing this i know that all my top kits are the same length and so when i am cupping in i know i am fishing exactly the same spot even if i change to a lighter elastic!

Browning Hotrods 007.gif Browning JP Tackle 007.gif

Stu Dav

Davi
I can't recommend putting heavy lacy through just one section, it defeats the object if your targetting BIG fish,as for as the pole working better well it's deffinately a lot stiffer at the end which will aid the elastic coming out, but you should put it through your 2+3 sections, and if you've not got spare 3rd sections get your wallet out !
Stu Dav

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
if you put hydro through 2 sections then you will have way too much laccy cumming out the end, i land big fish on the pole no worries using one section of laccy.

each to their own! by the way what do you class as a BIG fish????

rob27

peg nine
Stu why must the tops be take apart and not tele?

maxwell_hung

caster blaster
They don't really it's just easier.

I've had tops sets on other poles that have been tele, you just have to be careful when you store it away. Sometimes the section will not go back far enough to get it in a tube.

Matt

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
they dont have to be but take apart is better cos you damage the elastic on tele tops

rob27

peg nine
so there are bushes that will fit a second section?
what are generally the biggest ones - I haven't tried it yet but I don't think the largest bull nose (think they are called that) ones will fit

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
yeah there are bushes that fit! any of the big names have big bushes, none are better than the other IMHO i use preston myself, easiest way is take your section to the shop and try one!

rob27

peg nine
I have found that the external bull nose bushes fit perfectly as an internal bush on my second section.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this would be O.K.?
It seems alright to me.

Thanks

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
rob that will be fine, as long as the elastic doesnt touch the side of the carbon it will be fine! i think kim used to fit external bushes internally like this!!!!

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
just remembered its andy findley who puts external bushes internally on his carp top kits!

rob27

peg nine
looking around the tackleshop today I seen the bull nose I am using it is the drennan white one and I think it said it is meant for eithier elastics 6-8 or 8-10 and I am running a 14-16 elastic through it!!

Like I said it fits the second section of my pole as an internal perfectly and there is a small gap around the elastic. Do you think this will cause any problems?

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Hi Rob, if i were you for the sake of a couple of quid take your No 2 section to the tackle shop and get the right size bush fitted,

get an external bush because that also protects the end of the pole stopping any splitting with use of big elastics,

the external bull nose bush is usually tapered which means if you try to fit it internally the point of contact will only be on the very end of the pole and could come loose when fishing, even if its paralell theres no lip to stop it going inside,

teepee.

Status
Not open for further replies.