Losing Tackle ?

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Have told this before, but here goes I was fishing @bricky72 Charity Novelty pairs match at Meadowlands. The platform I was on projected some way out in to the lake, so duly set verything up and watched in horror as my No 7 section of ny Diawa pole, rolled off the platform straight into the margin tilted upwards and sank like a U boat doing an emergency dive. No hesitation in I went and retrieved it - rather heroically I thought, good job I had a spare pair of socks in the car. (y)

In consolation I was awarded 10 points for artistic creativity from the judges on the far bank ? and MD infamy thereafter. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Hence the profile pic.

davylad

Site Supporter
On the old Ancholme in a winter league match, in a howling gale my No5 section on a Normark Krypton, blew in. I went back next day with all the gear I thought I might need, home made rake and plenty of spare clothing and towels, as it was very cold. I gave it ages, but never did find it, nearly stood on a broken bottle too. The problem is when a section goes in, it can sometimes shoot through the water ending up way off the mark. I think that section cost me £140, and that was back in the mid eighties.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Talking of the opposite. Tackle we got back. I was probably 13 years old, about the time Leo and my family had got my first proper setup sorted. I headed to the "free stretch" at the old Monobond factory on the Wharfe in Otley. It was high summer, the sun was out and I had no knowledge at all about fishing rivers. Leo had taught me stillwater waggler, that was all I knew. I wanted to learn more though, and the Wharfe at the time was a prolific river.
It was quite a climb from the road side to the bank, erosion and large boulders paved the way. There was a man who I had seen many times fishing at Knotford Nook and as he was much older than me, I kind of looked up to him, he always said hello and was genuinely just one of those nice guys.
I was fishing just below the rapids on a very small porcupine quill when I hit a fish, I grabbed the landing net and barefooted walked out into the river to land the fish. There was a searing pain I will never forget, the river turned red. I had stood on a broken bottle. It impaled the sole of my foot and the side too. I had never felt pain like this before and the blood that was pumping out was turning the river red, I fainted, fell into the water and was on my way downstream.
The next thing I knew I was in hospital, Mum n Dad peering over me... Where is my tackle? Did you get it back?
I wish I could remember his name, apparently he saw me crash into the water and came running. He then carried me up the bank threw me in his car and took me to the hospital leaving both his and my gear behind then returned to the river and got both our gear packed up.
His car was full of my blood, that was the last vision I had, I had ruptured an artery. If it had not been for this mans quick thinking and kindness I would not be here right now annoying you all and @Mrs Munch would have a much quieter life....

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
In the 1980's, I took my new Abu Atlantic 484C rod and 7000C reel onto Brid pier for a bit of cod fishing.
A couple of distance casts resulted in two nice codling, and nobody else was catching.
Determined I'd show 'em all how it's done, I wound up for an even longer chuck.
Halfway through my balletic, swivelling cast, the sea wall leapt up and smacked me on the forehead!
Bright stars flashed for a second, then darkness closed in.

I came to, staggered to my feet, and went to pick up my rod, hoping it was not damaged.
It was gone.

"You slipped on that seaweed, nutted the wall and threw your rod and reel about 20 yards out to sea!"
Said my helpful neighbour.

Luckily for me, I had cast across the line of another fisherman, who managed to pull in my rod and reel.
The reel was grating, full of sand, so I packed up and left.
As I did my walk of shame back along the pier,the other anglers gave me a ripple of applause for my performance.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
In the 1980's, I took my new Abu Atlantic 484C rod and 7000C reel onto Brid pier for a bit of cod fishing.
A couple of distance casts resulted in two nice codling, and nobody else was catching.
Determined I'd show 'em all how it's done, I wound up for an even longer chuck.
Halfway through my balletic, swivelling cast, the sea wall leapt up and smacked me on the forehead!
Bright stars flashed for a second, then darkness closed in.

I came to, staggered to my feet, and went to pick up my rod, hoping it was not damaged.
It was gone.

"You slipped on that seaweed, nutted the wall and threw your rod and reel about 20 yards out to sea!"
Said my helpful neighbour.

Luckily for me, I had cast across the line of another fisherman, who managed to pull in my rod and reel.
The reel was grating, full of sand, so I packed up and left.
As I did my walk of shame back along the pier,the other anglers gave me a ripple of applause for my performance.
Banksy that makes my lttle jump up to knee high in the margins like a stroll in the park in comparison. You should be grateful @chefster wasn't there or you would never hear the end of it. :ROFLMAO:

Dropon

I had a lucky escape last time out. Cast a bomb out ,rod on rest and on my knee, after about 39 seconds quick as a flash rod was pulled.Luck was on my side ,it floated about 4 or 5 foot out from the platform, scooped it out with landing net. A 2 lb F1 was still on. Now where’s the lottery shop.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
More recently I was fishing the pellet waggler for carp at Lamwath Lakes near Aldborough, using a 10' 6" Drennan Tench Float Rod and a TDR 3012 reel. A nice combination.
Nature called, and after a few minutes pretending I was deaf, I had to answer.
Reeling in the float, I laid the rod on the wooden platform, along with the float and banded pellet.

As I was returning from my visit to an adjacent bush, there was a sudden gust of wind across the pond.
The banded pellet rolled across the platform, and plopped into the water. Where it was immediately taken by a good carp.

The float shot away and the rod & reel clattered across the plank towards the water. I dived towards the rod and just managed to touch the handle with my fingers, but could not grab it properly. It vanished from sight.

Luckily, the Drennan Tench Float rod had a full cork handle, and was fibre glass. As the name suggests, it floats!
It reappeared about 20 yards out, moving slowly up the lake. I grabbed my method feeder rod, and made two panicky attempts to snag the Tench Float rod, then the carp decided to go down again, taking my gear with it.
Lamwath had a rope supported by floats, running the entire length of the lake, and a couple of minutes later, my rod surfaced yet again on the other side of the rope, about 50 yards away.

I dashed round to the other side, and launched another rescue attempt. But the fish seemed to recognise what was happening, and dived back under the rope, before reappearing in front of two anglers who were fishing a good 100 yards from my original position.
Back round the lake, I apologised to them for messing their swim, you do feel like a right wally, but they found it amusing.

One of them reeled in his feeder, and snagged my rod with his first cast, his hook in the butt ring of my rod!
He quickly played my rod in, with the carp still attacked to it. and his mate grabbed the handle of my rod as it passed him.
But the line had twizzled so many times around the tip ring of my rod, it was like handlining the fish in. One big slap of its tail, and the line parted, leaving a good double figure ghostie towing my pellet wagger, the hook still in its mouth.

I thanked the chaps whose swim I had invaded, and who had retrieved my rod for me.
Back at the other end of the pond again, I sat down on my seatbox, feeling relieved but sickened. I hate leaving a fish like that, and did not have the heart to to carry on fishing.
Then my pellet waggler float popped up about a yard in front of my platform, heading underneath it.
I grabbed my margin pole top 2, and wrapped my pole rig several times around the pellet wag float, making sure that it was well tangled up and attached.
Not surprisingly, It didn't take long to land the fish, remove my hook and release it. That fish must have lived under that particular platform, grabbing the odd bit of bait which fell from it.

I packed up. Not much else you can do, after that, is there?

rudd

Site Supporter
Well, I pulled a bird from Lowestoft once and thought I'd lost my tackle 😬

spooky1966

Site Supporter
most expensive - no 8 or so section of a flagship pole that blew in a deep section of the Cam (1st peg downstream of the A14 bridge) back in about 1993.

daftest - sat bream fishing on a (Fox) platform in the margins of a gravel pit. Platform suddenly tips backwards alarmingly ,... depositing me and my AS1 in the drink. One of the sliding drawers was open to pick out something -- so deposited much of the contents of the drawer in the water. iirc, I recovered most of what had gone in (luckily a sunny, warm and breezy day so everything dried off - me included!!) but did lose a hook sharpener.
The platform mud feet swivelled and had just sank in the silt/clay layer!
I swore like a trooper, luckily no-one there to see or hear it! But within a couple of minutes saw the funny side and was giggling the rest of the day (might have been hypothemia?) :D
i could ask the nice people down fen road to have a look for it if you want? may still be there :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
Almost fifty years ago my uncle and I sat fishing for trout. In a boat. On a lake. We fished like we always did: Long rods, cheap fly reels, filled with backing and then a few meters of mono. With a hook and a worm in the business end. He was a smoker, and always threw the used match over board, after lighting his cig. What was new this time, was that he had bought himself a fine Ronson gaslighter. No more matches needed. We both kept our eyes firmly on the line, watching for any sign of fish, when he absentmindedly fetched a cig from the pack, lighted it with his brand new Ronson, and then threw it over board. He instantly realized what he had just done, and I'll never forget his face at that moment.

Len Wade

Bog-Monster
Site Supporter
Been there, seen that........
I was sat in the passenger seat of a brand-new Ford Transit works pick-up back in the 80's and watched in stunned silence as my Dad lit a roll-up from the dashboard cigarette lighter and then tossed the lighter out of the window......... :oops:

...........Just like Jake in the "Blues Brothers" :LOL:

Last edited: