Losing Tackle ?

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Lost the bottle from my Ringers pellet pump when I stupidly pumped my expanders whilst leaning over the lake. Bottle fell off the pump & sank. No amount of scooping scooping with the landing net could find it.
You have a landing net ,? 🙄

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Contents of drawers from seatbox, had my umbrella on the back of the box, stood up and got off the box for call of nature . A gust of wind got up and deposited a 50" steadfast nubrolli and a Matchbox seat box into Grimsditch pool. Luckily with the help of a mate we managed to get them out.
Had a couple of topkits fly off with carp on the end, Once at the Cunneries, had to go back a few days later when they had recovered it. The other was at Hall Lane, it was a hot day so did the water spaniel act ,stripped off and swam for it,
Swam back holding it above my head like Excalibur with the fish still on. Put it in keepnet, got dressed and carried on with the match.

MarkW

I fished the south bank of the Stour one day and switched to the tip after floatfishing for a while, laying the float rod (Normark Avenger 2000) on the reeds. I got distracted by a passer-by then packed up and drove round to fish the north bank. When I got there I realised the rod was still on the south bank so had to drive back and fetch it - it was still there... It was a very quiet stretch of river.

bryan white

Site Supporter
Made myself look a right tw@t at gold valley , bought a new Preston landing net handle with the small dolly section at the end.
Hooked a nice carp and it was in netting range, picked up the pole and slid it forward to plop the carp safely in its netting, unfortunately the top section was unknown to me a tad loose and continued going forward after the rest of the handle had come to a stop, I watched it slipping away into the abyss.
Just stood there holding what remained in disbelief
Anglers around me were no doubt dying laughing
Cost wise..handle £45 and 15 for the net, self respect left not worth a rupee

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
I had a real Numpty moment a wee while back. I have never fished over a platform before and being surrounded by water was a new concept. I have very big feet and quite large old hands, dexterity is not my forte'. Neither is setting up all the stuff I need around me, it's more of a scatter gun arrangement.
Anyhow there I was fishing away and I decided I needed a coffee, flask directly behind so I reached back and knocked it over. It started rolling off the platform and in my panic I stood up not remembering there was nothing but water in front and both sides, panicked again and somehow pulled the bottom side drawer out of the box which duly went straight in the lake. £40 in £2 coins gone, lots of Stotts gone, scissors, shot and God knows what else fell in the drink. The flask was fine though, it rolled under me and got caught on the front leg / platform feet...

OldTaff

Site Supporter
LRF rod and reel went into the sea on our last holiday when Jacob accidentally dropped it - thankfully rescued using two crabbing drop nets as trawling kit.

Back in the old days lost a keep net head and top section of handle into the Mon Brecon canal trying to land a carp during a match but hadn’t put the handle together correctly.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
£20 worth of lure and 40yds of just as expensive powerpro braid when i had the idea of casting into the entrance of a boatyard thinking mrs big fat pike would be lying in wait, alas the wind took my lure and it hooked into a wooden sleeper that was lining the far bank, pulled for a bread and of course it didn't break near the knot, broke near my rod, must have been a weakness in the line.

Had to respool after that :(

Simon R

Site Supporter
The contents of one drawer of my Preston box met a watery grave when it followed me into the bottom pond at Dromonby a few years ago - fortunately it was a shallow margin so a few scoops with a landing net appeared to retrieve everything barring a couple of plummets.

Had my brolly blow in (and sink) at Hilton a couple of years ago - the pole rising from the water like a drunken excalibur

excalibur.jpg

Luckily the owner was able to extricate it and called me a few days later to go and collect it - a quick hose down and it's still in full working order (y)

There must be loads of gear that ends up in lakes and nobody says anything - through embarrassment perhaps?
When the late Jeff Whittaker desilted the main lake at Renny a few years ago he pulled out dozens of rods and pole sections - sadly almost all smashed since a 360 tracked excavator is not the most delicate of machines:p
There was also an upturned brolly in the middle of the big bay (not mine btw) - the cause of all the snagged up feeders - that came out in one piece - half the fabric bleached white where it had been covered in silt and absolutely festooned with leads and feeders hanging off the spokes. Jeff bunged it in the ground next to the silvers lake in the hope somebody would take it away.
Couple of days later the brolly was still there but somebody had been round it and snipped off every feeder - they must have had full pockets:p

Simon

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Topkit with freshly fitted elastic disappeared into peg 4 on Pines at Allders Farm recently, will never leave a baited hook in the water whilst feeding again🤬

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I had a real Numpty moment a wee while back. I have never fished over a platform before and being surrounded by water was a new concept. I have very big feet and quite large old hands, dexterity is not my forte'. Neither is setting up all the stuff I need around me, it's more of a scatter gun arrangement.
Anyhow there I was fishing away and I decided I needed a coffee, flask directly behind so I reached back and knocked it over. It started rolling off the platform and in my panic I stood up not remembering there was nothing but water in front and both sides, panicked again and somehow pulled the bottom side drawer out of the box which duly went straight in the lake. £40 in £2 coins gone, lots of Stotts gone, scissors, shot and God knows what else fell in the drink. The flask was fine though, it rolled under me and got caught on the front leg / platform feet...
Did @Mrs Munch know you had £40 stashed/hidden away in your seatbox.?
Seems a funny place to keep money .
I wonder what else you keep quiet about.? 🤫🙄😁

62tucker

Site Supporter

Don’tTellEmYourName

I’m tempted to get the scuba gear on and go collecting all the feeders, leads and other tackle :ROFLMAO: Nothing like a dive near a sea mark and get some leads.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I really don't enjoy fishing from platforms, especially not narrow ones like at Alders. I knocked all sorts into the water during that weekend, fortunately I was able to retrieve most of it, such as pole sections & landing net. It was a lot worse because of the weather & fishing under a brolly.

richard83

Site Supporter
Fishing fletchers near York many years ago. Managed to save up pocket money and get my dad to help me buy a second hand browning pole, first session out top six was pulled in to the carp lake whilst my back was turned messing about with bait. I was about 13. I was and still am gutted! Part of me wishes I still had the back sections as I’d attempt to get another for nostalgia

bryanh

Site Supporter
Like Redhillphill above, not an item of fishing tackle. Around 1967 on a sea fishing session at the Mull of Galloway was clambering down a very steep cliff face to a noted rock fishing mark, rod im one hand and a rucksack over my shoulder when I slipped and bounced down a couple of ledges. I had failed to fasten one of the side pockets containing my camera and I could only watch in dismay as my 35mm Periflex SLR disappeared into the water 60ft below.
The camera was valued at around £50 (a tidy sum in those days) but fortunately, my insurance company stumped up and I was able to replace the Periflex with a Rollieflex twin lense jobbie.