Losing Tackle ?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
We've all been there at some point or other, the wayward cast, feeder in the tree or far bank bush, snagging up, you name it the hazards are out there waiting to take from us :)

What's your most expensive or daftest loss of tackle?

Mine had to be a pole section many years ago whilst fishing Bolingey Lake. It was the no5 which I'd unshipped from the pole and laid down at the side of me whilst playing a fish only to see it slip down the bank into the water and sail off before slowly sinking below the surface never to be seen again. It was devastating as it reduced my pole to a top four for the rest of my holiday :crybaby2:

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
When I first started pole fishing I lost a top kit the same way @Dave and broke another snagging the Island at Lakeview, trying to get in a rat hole. Not being used to using a pole I pulled for a break like you would with a rod, crack went the No 2 at the base, managed to tape it up and use it as a cupping kit, didn't look pretty, but worked ok.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Half the contents of my seatbox at Smeatons Lakes (The Burrows). It had been raining and as I took the box down the slope to my peg, I slipped, upending my box and in it went. On trying to get it out, the drawers opened and most of what was in them was lost.

Last edited:

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
We've all been there at some point or other, the wayward cast, feeder in the tree or far bank bush, snagging up, you name it the hazards are out there waiting to take from us :)

What's your most expensive or daftest loss of tackle?

Mine had to be a pole section many years ago whilst fishing Bolingey Lake. It was the no5 which I'd unshipped from the pole and laid down at the side of me whilst playing a fish only to see it slip down the bank into the water and sail off before slowly sinking below the surface never to be seen again. It was devastating as it reduced my pole to a top four for the rest of my holiday :crybaby2:
I was in stalking mode at Wykeham lakes ,i was fishing just behind an island that the water is no more than about 8ft wide there and decided i would kneel down well behind the bank ,i flicked my bait out and thought this may take a while , i turned to adjust all my tackle around me so i didnt stand on anything ,then whoosh my pole shot forward ,i dived to grab it and my topkit flew off with a big angry carp , i couldnt believe it but Mike Helis fishery manager managed to find it over the next few days undamaged , i was amazed 😀. Ive lost many a thing in the drink ,little things but stuff you need , the worst was i needed a fag but decided to crouch to hide from my uncle as i was only 14 or 15 and my 10 pack fell in ,i was gutted . Had a few rods and topkits go in but have been very lucky and managed to get all of them back 😁

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Feeder Rod and reel ripped of the rest...

mbuna_matt

My (empty) trolley went down the bank with the wind catching the bag (during weigh in with club all looking on.... ) I did eventually get it back

stephenk

Site Supporter
Top section and net came off my tricast net handle.

Set up a spare quickly and had a scoop around for it - promptly losing the net and top off the spare too.

Couldn't believe it - 2 nets and 2 handles gone in the space of 5 minutes.

(I use telescopic now....)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Told this story before, but one of the stupidest things I did as a kid fishing the massive Geary's Lake at Packington. Left a top 5 sections of pole with a baited hook for a second along the edge of the bank. Baited hook must have fell just down the edge. Carp took it. Bye bye pole. Off it went into the middle of the lake leaving me casting in vain with a bomb to try and retrieve it. I also had a close call when I just bought a TDR reel, open the reel case and a spare spool goes rolling towards the lake, it fell in but my reflexes were fast enough to catch it in the water.

Total

Site Supporter
.......I also had a close call when I just bought a TDR reel, open the reel case and a spare spool goes rolling towards the lake, it fell in but my reflexes were fast enough to catch it in the water.
Is this the same TDR reel with the broken leaf spring?:unsure:......If so, bin it and buy a Shimano, 'cos this TDR ain't supposed to be!:oops:;):ROFLMAO:

John Step

Site Supporter
I was balancing my bits box on my knees on the gravels at Collingham. I tipped over and lay face down on the sand/gravel. Swivels, stops and all the usual tiny bits as the tide rose.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Lost the bottle from my Ringers pellet pump when I stupidly pumped my expanders whilst leaning over the lake. Bottle fell off the pump & sank. No amount of scooping scooping with the landing net could find it.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Shimano aero match reel about 20 years ago, was packing away at the end of the session and placed the reel on my seat box lid before putting it into it's reel case, I was stood behind my seat box and went to get the reel case from.....yes inside my seat box, I opened it from the back and catapulted the reel into about 12ft of River Wear, never to be seen again. Also lost one Bang and Olafson ear bud earlier this year while fighting off an irate goose when I was trying to untangle the said goose's offspring from my landing net which was laid along the bank next to me...the contents of my sidetray went flying and the only thing to go into the water was one ear bud

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Not tackle but spectacles. On a work party standing up to my nicky nacky noos in a lake manhandling a severed branch when a twig caught me behind my lughole and twanged my spectacles off. Groped around in the silt for ages but they were gone.
Some years ago fishing in the Medway my cellphone dropped out of my shirt pocket as I bent to net a Chub. Much trawling with the landing net retrieved it.
Nokia 6810. Back off, battery out, left in the sun to dry. Right as rain.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
most expensive - no 8 or so section of a flagship pole that blew in a deep section of the Cam (1st peg downstream of the A14 bridge) back in about 1993.

daftest - sat bream fishing on a (Fox) platform in the margins of a gravel pit. Platform suddenly tips backwards alarmingly ,... depositing me and my AS1 in the drink. One of the sliding drawers was open to pick out something -- so deposited much of the contents of the drawer in the water. iirc, I recovered most of what had gone in (luckily a sunny, warm and breezy day so everything dried off - me included!!) but did lose a hook sharpener.
The platform mud feet swivelled and had just sank in the silt/clay layer!
I swore like a trooper, luckily no-one there to see or hear it! But within a couple of minutes saw the funny side and was giggling the rest of the day (might have been hypothemia?) :D

nico12

Grebe Grabber
Shimano Beastmaster no 5 i think - Makins Lizard lake....packing away pole and section slid forward from carryall and into water - stayed on surface for a few seconds then slid away

£90 to replace.....:)

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Lost the top section of my treasured Fosters of Birmingham landing net pole, that I have had for years in the local river weir pool. The net sank leaving the pole sticking out of the water. It swirled around in the weir pool for ages, and at one point I thought it was moving back around to me. That was until the net caught on a snag on the bottom , pulling the end of the pole down, which filled with water and sank. I was gutted. Had it since the mid nineties, and it was arguably as good as most expensive handles today. Still got the other two sections, and keep going up there in the off chance that it has been moved by the current, but not seen it yet.

Deeppurple

Site Supporter
After choosing a spot to fish my dad started to lower the anchor out of the front window of the boat. Away went the 6kg Bruce followed by 15ft of heavy chain feeding through his hands then.... nothing.

He forgot to clip the anchor rope to the end of the chain!

Him: (head in hands) I can't believe what I've just done!

Me: I saw... we gonna drift for mackerel then?

🙄

Whisker

Site Supporter
Lost the usual disgorges, feeders and leads etc but nothing expensive.

I was looking at my phone during a quiet spell and put it on my knee when I had to play a fish. Stood up to stop said fishing going through my keepnets… which was exactly where my phone landed! 🙄Watched it sink to the bottom and hauled my net in, tried to save my phone at home but it died a watery death.

Also lost my wedding ring shortly after we’d got married… Mrs Whisker kindly bought me another one but still reminds me of my misfortune from time to time… 😂

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Following when I went to Poland to visit my cousin (I had of course took a few rods) and caught some fish there. He decided to come to England, I have to say now he wasn't a fisherman, so I took him to a rather slowish but deep corner of the Trent at Muskham where I knew some nice 6 - 7lb bream resided. With him not fishing before I set him up with a large 5g or thereabouts pole float and we fished away with some success.

Packing up the pole, he insisted at helping and whilst at the water edges inadvertently turned the pole upside down and out slipped the top 5 or 6 sections, in a perfect gymnastic display of synchronised diving. The cost of replacing the sections of this semi old pole (no pun intended) was greater than a new one. He was obviously extremely sorry and it spoiled his fortnight somewhat. Thats about my most expensive loss, excepting when I left 2 Hardy sea trout rods at a trout fishery, and when I went back some hours later - of course no one had seen them!

Attachments

• rzescow.jpg
    rzescow.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 15