Losing my Trent virginity….

AdamRussell93

So as the title suggests, this was my first trip to the Trent in search of my first river barbel.
Opted for the bdaas stretch in fiskerton which is day ticket. Arrived in the village with my mate around 6:30 and was on the bank not long after. We had a walk up and down and both decided to fish peg 41. Lovely wide open peg. Gravelly bottom. Perfect. Set both my rods up the night before (impatient) and mixed my groundbait up.
Right hand rod was my upstream feeder rig with 4ft hooklength and hemp, caster and mixed pellet sizes before an 8mm dynamite garlic pellet on the hair. Before actually fishing I put out 4 feeders worth of bait to get a decent carpet of offerings out there. Then cast out and set the timer for 20 mins.
The left hand rod was a lead gripper rod with some squid and garlic paste pushed in and matching 14mm boilie on the hair. I had been told to use smaller baits through the day but I threw caution to the wind and set that at the same distance out but further downstream hoping that at least one fish would pick up on the scent trail. 30B8A1DC-A4F9-4B2E-B053-D4140D07E480.jpeg At around 8:45, I witnessed my first three foot twitch. Quickly followed by a 6ft4 twitch as I jumped out of my chair and onto the rod. At first it was solid, I thought I was snagged until it took off like a missile. I’ve never felt power like it (you seasoned veterans must be chuckling to yourselves) and as soon as it had made its first run, it was gone. At first I suspected a hook pull and to my realisation there was over half the hooklength missing, I’m guessing it cut me on a rock somehow. My knees were shaking as I tied another hooklength up struggling to see through my tears (slight exaggeration on the tears). Cast out again. And sat. Timer rang. Recast. Timer rang. Recast. Etc.
This happened till I packed up at 4:45. I had to be back for childcare reasons but in the words of the terminator, I’ll be back

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Had my first Barbel (well river barbel - lake ones don't count) last year so know exactly what you mean I call them Torpedoes cause it feels like you have hooked one. :D:D

They will make your arm ache with the Yo-Yo take a bit of line / give a bit of line battle. What line was your hooklength made of ? I was advised to use 12 Lb Drennan Gravel Braid.

Have fished that stretch with fellow MD'ers @rd115, @Zerkalo and @ravey it is a nice stretch of the River, will have to go back and try again.

Good luck landing your first and believe me once you have caught one, you'll want to go again, (y)

AdamRussell93

I was using 10lb guru fluorocarbon which I normally use but think I’ll step it up a bit next time due to the rocks. I’m more determined than ever to get one now I’ve felt what they can do!

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I'm making a point of going back there when i have my week off last week of the month, hopefully catch something :D

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I was using 10lb guru fluorocarbon which I normally use but think I’ll step it up a bit next time due to the rocks. I’m more determined than ever to get one now I’ve felt what they can do!

Some of us use 15lb mono mainline to 20lb coated braid hooklength. Barbel can be beasts.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I'm making a point of going back there when i have my week off last week of the month, hopefully catch something :D
Let me know when your going mate and I will try to sneak a day off to join you.

tincatim

Site Supporter
There’s no feeling like a powerful barbel taking off at full speed, its very addictive and you can see why people become obsessed. Gutted you didn’t get to land it, but I’m sure you will next time 👍🏻

squimp

Site Supporter
I use 25 lb coated braid or homemade combi-links made from 19lb Fluoro and 1” of 20 lb soft braid. And that’s only on the Thames…..

The plan is to land every fish I hook, including some very sizeable carp.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
I feel your pain, as my first three foot twitch on the Severn three weeks ago had the same result 🙁. I've caught since, so keep at it.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I use 25 lb coated braid or homemade combi-links made from 19lb Fluoro and 1” of 20 lb soft braid. And that’s only on the Thames…..

As per squimp, if i hook into a munter i intend on landing it.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've only used flourocarbon in 5lb breaking stains and have bad experience of its knot strength. It amazes me that people get on with it, even in higher breaking strains, but I have put that down to my own misendeavour as other people swear by it!

Total

Site Supporter

Do you allow braid at your fishery?

squimp

Site Supporter
I've only used flourocarbon in 5lb breaking stains and have bad experience of its knot strength. It amazes me that people get on with it, even in higher breaking strains, but I have put that down to my own misendeavour as other people swear by it!
I use the same fluoro (19lb) as tippet for permit fly fishing and if I can land those on it, then I can land any barbel that swims……

I knot it with either grinners or (doubled) blood knots for fixed connections and non-slip mono loops (for loops!). I’ve never had a knot go with that set up…….