Loosing fish - hook sharpness

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I like to use barbed hooks when fishing for silvers where possible.

JLK

using a really soft elastic is not always the answer,

that depends on the depth, or the length of line-rig between the pole tip and the hook

if there is a relatively longish length, by the time the elastic has powered up to provide enough tension to bury the hook point, the chance of a good hook hold has long gone

by uprating to a stronger elastic, it negates this effect
Agreed. Need more details in fairness. ?

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Personally I use Tubertini 801 and also use a Gardner Point Doctor and give the hook a quick flick over, amazing how it brings a point back to sticky sharpness.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I do think ptfe coated hooks stay sharper for longer and would recommend the Preston sfl as a light hook.

trotter2

If I loose two fish in a row the hook comes off straight away , I try the easiest way to resolve the problem first. I find most of the time its the hook.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If I loose two fish in a row the hook comes off straight away , I try the easiest way to resolve the problem first. I find most of the time its the hook.
I generally check for bluntness after two bumps and if it feels fine I’ll crack on but if I get two bumps again I’ll change it even if it still feels ok just to be sure.

Worst hooks I ever used was drennan silverfish for getting blunt quick and bumping fish, now use guru F1 pellet hook for silvers.
Still have a blunt hook now and then though, last week was getting loads of skimmers in a silvers match, hooked and landed a decent carp and then had about 5 bumped skimmers one after the other, changed hook and another two hours catching without a blunt hook.

Even straight out of the bag some can be blunt, never had guru f1 make blunt out of the bag but have had drennan silverfish bad batches.
Must have been bad batches I’ve found drennan silverfish the best I’ve used alongside most Kamasan offerings. Only ever bump more than the occasional fish on them when wind makes line control a faff.

trotter2

I generally check for bluntness after two bumps and if it feels fine I’ll crack on but if I get two bumps again I’ll change it even if it still feels ok just to be sure.

Must have been bad batches I’ve found drennan silverfish the best I’ve used alongside most Kamasan offerings. Only ever bump more than the occasional fish on them when wind makes line control a faff.
I agree silver but sometime the hook looks sharp and its still loosing a few to many. So now I just whip it off takes 2 minutes. And could be the diffrence between winning and loosing in a rivers match as you know mate.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I agree silver but sometime the hook looks sharp and its still loosing a few to many. So now I just whip it off takes 2 minutes. And could be the diffrence between winning and loosing in a rivers match as you know mate.
Yeah part of the reason I don’t fish matches is that I’d be forever worrying about stuff like that! Being a bit OCD if I got into the habit of being super cautious I’ve be forever tinkering so I force myself to keep things simple. Subsequently I don’t let it bother me if I loose a pound or so of fish pleasure fishing (wouldn’t allow myself to lose more than that though) but it would have me pulling my hair out in a match haha

JLK

You can generally tell if a hook is blunt or going that way when you hook your bait. If you can't get a very clean piercing of a maggot or caster without bursting either then it's time to change it.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Just give it a lick with a point doctor , takes 10 seconds.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
A diamond file is way to coarse to do a fine wire match hook . I use a pair of forceps even on a old style 20 and just rub the doctor up the point each side once and that is enough. Its the fine one l use, as there is a coarse one as well. Even the coarse one is less fierce than a diamond file.

rudd

Site Supporter
Just give it a lick with a point doctor , takes 10 seconds.
What size hooks can they do?
Can do 16 is about smallest I can do with an Ez sharpner.
Hooks get blunt very easily when sea fishing ?

JayD

I went fishing on Thursday, on the Aire and Calder canal. I started getting roach and perch from the off, nothing big, averaging 2 to 6oz. I was thinking, if I kept this up, 20lb plus was on the cards. Then I suddenly started losing fish, I bumped a few, and then some came off after hooking, and some even dropped off as I swung them in. I was using a new, (to me), hook pattern, Drennen Wide Gape. I don't like barbless, preferring to use either squashed barb, or micro barbed like these are. I rang the changes in pattern/size and landed more, but still lost quite a few. I was using the same rod set up I've used hundreds of times, and never had a problem to this extent. It was just one of those days where the fish were biting strangely, or I was doing something without realising it, obviously the hook pattern played some part, as well as a skittering downstream wind, all contributed some extent. If it started happening more often, then I would think there was a problem, but not for a one off.

My hopes for a big weight were in vein, dashed by the appearance of this, going through my swim, as well as losing fish.

It was much longer than the canal is wide, and stirred up so much rubbish, that I went nearly two hours without a bite after it had passed.
I weighed my catch at the end of the session, and it came to 9lb 4oz, about 60/40 roach to perch, averaging about 4oz.

I took my own video of the barge as it passed me, it was a fantastic sight, but I haven't worked out how to post them on here yet.

John.

alsur

Site Supporter
Like Neil I very rarely change a hook mid session unless it's damaged and use the same rig again sometimes.

trotter2

In the past I have made a hook sharpener from a lolly pop stick glue an inch of wet and dry abrasive paper on the end 800 grit.

JLK

6-8 slick is too heavy an elastic for what you are doing. I know as I've tried it and sacked it off immediately.