Loose feeding pellets

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Quick question. When I've looked at photos or videos of anglers' bait trays & they're loose feeding 4mm or 6mm pellets by hand, the pellets looked slightly dampened. Do people soak them a bit before throwing them in or just feed them dry?

rudd

Site Supporter
Dry as damp pellets dont keep if not used and 4mm or bigger dont get caught in surface film.
Also if fishing on bottom damp pellets have bits or scent breaking off up in water.
Micro/3mm damp a small amount so they break surface film.

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
Be careful that the pellets you loosefeed are sinking pellets. I was fishing a river years ago, and loosefed Sensas expanderpellets. It took almost an hour before i realized that the pellets was of the floating typed, and bobbed merrily down the stream, to the benefit of someone living further down in the river. I had to laugh of my own stupidity.

buygoodtackle

Dry as damp pellets dont keep if not used and 4mm or bigger dont get caught in surface film.
Also if fishing on bottom damp pellets have bits or scent breaking off up in water.
Micro/3mm damp a small amount so they break surface film.

Any unused get sealed in a blue freezer bag and popped in the freezer till needed!

rudd

Site Supporter
Any unused get sealed in a blue freezer bag and popped in the freezer till needed!
You have made my mind tick!
Do frozen pellets float?
If so, balanced on right hook on a band when fishing pellet waggler - could be deadly as it slowly sinks!

buygoodtackle

Once thawed they sink! Never tried them frozen but guess they will sink, possibly a little slower.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
You have made my mind tick!
Do frozen pellets float?
If so, balanced on right hook on a band when fishing pellet waggler - could be deadly as it slowly sinks!

I usually take them out of the freezer the night before and give them a chance to thaw out. Although I'm tempted to try your theory.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I soak mine thoroughly most of the time. This is because they expand upon taking on water. My thing being that if they swell up in the fish then the fish may not want to feed again as quickly.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I soak mine thoroughly most of the time. This is because they expand upon taking on water. My thing being that if they swell up in the fish then the fish may not want to feed again as quickly.

I assume the particles that the fish crush the pellets into could still expand, their pharyngeal teeth are very powerful. Not sure if the crushed pellets would expand in direct relation to that of a whole pellet, as some of the expansion of the pellet would be water and air filling the gaps in the pellet. Having kept fish for years and watching them feed, harder foodstuff would be crushed and come out of the gills when when feeding excitedly, softer foodstuff being less messy in the tank - so less being expelled from the gills.

Coppens pellets just get a slimy coating on them after soaking for an hour or even more more, no expansion, so I guess your theory ( which sounds reasonable, some people soak dog kibble to stop it swelling in their dogs) would only work with a Skretting pellet.

As for feeding them, I feed them dry, very occasionally you get a batch that don’t want to break the surface film and sink, I find running a wet hand through them ( maybe a couple of times) is enough to get them to sink.

carphauler

I assume the particles that the fish crush the pellets into could still expand, their pharyngeal teeth are very powerful. Not sure if the crushed pellets would expand in direct relation to that of a whole pellet, as some of the expansion of the pellet would be water and air filling the gaps in the pellet. Having kept fish for years and watching them feed, harder foodstuff would be crushed and come out of the gills when when feeding excitedly, softer foodstuff being less messy in the tank - so less being expelled from the gills.

Coppens pellets just get a slimy coating on them after soaking for an hour or even more more, no expansion, so I guess your theory ( which sounds reasonable, some people soak dog kibble to stop it swelling in their dogs) would only work with a Skretting pellet.

As for feeding them, I feed them dry, very occasionally you get a batch that don’t want to break the surface film and sink, I find running a wet hand through them ( maybe a couple of times) is enough to get them to sink.
Totally agree the Coppens I sometimes used if the fishery couldn't get skrettings were poor for soaking and there's no way you could make a paste with them, it may have changed now but back then that's how they were.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter

Correct re the pellet - Skrettings.

Do all fish have pharyngeal teeth?

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Totally agree the Coppens I sometimes used if the fishery couldn't get skrettings were poor for soaking and there's no way you could make a paste with them

Err, you can. Grind them down to a powder and use egg as a binder. Makes a very good paste.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Err, you can. Grind them down to a powder and use egg as a binder. Makes a very good paste.
They might be alright for making paste for conkers, but they make a paste far too sticky to fish it as I would, (very sloppy) on the pole.
No need to grind Skrettings, you can pour boiling water on them and they turn themselves into paste.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
They might be alright for making paste for conkers, but they make a paste far too sticky to fish it as I would, (very sloppy) on the pole.
No need to grind Skrettings, you can pour boiling water on them and they turn themselves into paste.

I know that mate, but I was pointing out that paste can be made from Coppens. I use paste often, but on the waggler and find that the paste made from them stays on the hook when casting 4 or 5 rod lengths out on a gentle cast.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Quick question. When I've looked at photos or videos of anglers' bait trays & they're loose feeding 4mm or 6mm pellets by hand, the pellets looked slightly dampened. Do people soak them a bit before throwing them in or just feed them dry?
I dont dampen them if fishing up in the Water as i like a few falling slower to keep the fish up higher . If im fishing deeper i dampen them down a little but i try to do it in batches of a maximum 3 pints at a time so im not taking any wet ones home. If cupping i will dip the cup in water

ATTICUS FINCH

A little tip for keeping your pellets rodent free if you buy bulk ,put them in four or six pint milk bottles the plastic jobbies, I out my six mm in the six and the fours in four pint bottles ,makes easy for taking to the bank and no Mickey mouse probs