Looking forward to winter or not?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Have you decided on a late return trip to the Severn yet?
Don’t think it’ll be a goer as quite a bit of rain forecast next few weeks. I’m sure it can take quite a bit yet given the height of the rivers here but by the time I’ve got enough time free I’m sure it’ll be a mess.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Don’t think it’ll be a goer as quite a bit of rain forecast next few weeks. I’m sure it can take quite a bit yet given the height of the rivers here but by the time I’ve got enough time free I’m sure it’ll be a mess.
It was always going to be hit and miss at that time of year levels wise I think so probably not a bad decision.

dave brittain 1

Looking forward to some good river matches however you generally have to draw your socks off. Not looking forward to the walks, dirt and having to dry my gear out each week or some of the drives, (Wye is 2 hrs).

Looking at the weather next week the Wye Champs could be a big feeder job if it's not too high. That said there will be a lot of fish moving to their winter grounds as soo as there's extra water in which will make it a very interesting match with fish throughout the match length.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I love winter fishing - the lake or river bank to myself, far less joggers or cyclists too. The extra sense of accomplishment when you do manage a bonus fish on a really hard day.

Bring on the winter

Stewie74

Site Supporter
My first ever match was last December, minus 4C, 12 out of 18 (including me) DNW, winning weight 4oz.

If I can survive that I can survive anything. Got matches scheduled pretty much every Sunday through the winter, including 2 winter league campaigns👍👍👍

tincatim

Site Supporter
I haven’t properly fished a winter since 2014, I only ended my five year break last summer and I’d fully got back into fishing by the time winter came around. Looking back at photos it seems I caught plenty of decent carp in October/November, then just odd chub through the winter months.

I’ll spend the majority of this winter on the rivers, but when it’s really not favourable, I’ll head to some Stillwaters for some guaranteed action.

I’ve got some nice memories of fishing my local lake in between Christmas and New Year, being the only one on the lake, wrapped up warm catching on the feeder and munching Christmas chocolates. I’ve also got memories of fishing the river Dearne in the snow, mostly blanking but still able to admire how beautiful the snow covered surroundings look. I’ll be doing more of that this winter, roving to keep warm and searching out those chunky chub with a nice piece of breadflake.

Yeoman

I love it.....when conditions are right on the Rivers...
What I don't like is sitting around for weeks waiting.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Winter is my favorite time to fish especially on the rivers. Colour in the water, fining down after rain, silvers all shoaled up. No damn morons on the banks smoking weed, supping ale, lighting fires and leaving their damn rubbish all over the river banks.

mickthechippy

23/04/2008 - 25/12/2021
Site Supporter
In Memoriam
When I was fishing my old winter silvers league, I loved it

though, some of the days were pretty dire weather wise, just getting out with the lads made up for it, winter was the great equaliser for me, it gave me a chance to be competative as against fishing summer leagues I always came up short, fishing against those who could and had the stamina to catch huge carp nets

I couldnt hack that, but in the colder months, winkling out a net of silvers was far more in my comfort zone

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Summertime, sitting on the seawall scoffing chips, the walk to a tench lake on a soft morning, sitting in the beer garden. A bite a
chuck, the countryside is lovely and green and full of life and if you are bored just get on a bus to town and watch the crumpet. I
fish all year round.

People who prefer the winter should get their heads tested.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Summertime, sitting on the seawall scoffing chips, the walk to a tench lake on a soft morning, sitting in the beer garden. A bite a
chuck, the countryside is lovely and green and full of life and if you are bored just get on a bus to town and watch the crumpet. I
fish all year round.

People who prefer the winter should get their heads tested.
Perfectly put 👍🏻

I’d just add that Autumn is nice as well though

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm going to fish for Tench a lot more next summer hopefully, June to September being the prime months for my venue, unless we have a warm May. I always find myself saying when it comes to that time of year, having got tired of winter (and spring) by then, that it's like someone has flicked a switch and we're allowed to catch fish again.

BarryS

Gone fishing
As my knees are not doing well..I hate winter . As I can't drive to my swim. Fishery owner shuts the gate when it gets too wet and keeps it shut for the winter as he doesnt want to spend hours towing people out. Roll on spring when I can park in the field next to my chosen swim.

matt

Site Supporter
With regards coarse fishing, I find that I’m increasingly spending more time fishing during the winter as most of the summer is taken up fluff chucking on rivers...... however come October and my head turns to trotting for Grayling, Chubbing on the river and once the temperature starts to drop even more the Pike rods are dusted off, so although it’s much nicer to fish in warm weather, winter does bring a lot more variety to my fishing.

MrBen

Site Supporter
Used to love this time of the year, at it was cyclocross season, slithering around in the mid great fun. Then home for stew and dumplings and apple crumble and custard.

Stopped riding cyclocross now, but now look forward to days fishing bread punch and punch crumb, a frosty start with a lovely clear sunny day, pick a peg in the sun and preferably out of the wind lovely.