Looking for venues near Bridlington.

Simmo

Hi all,

Last August we moved over to Flamborough Head on the East coast of Yorkshire. I'm missing my coarse fishing though and am looking to get going again. Trouble is I'm struggling to find any decent venues to visit. I'm used to silver fish venues more than carp puddles and also am quite happy trotting a stick float down a river. There are a couple of ponds on the local caravan sites but I'm tempted to avoid those like the plague if at all possible.

Any pointers would be very welcome.

Thanks very much.

Dave.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
The harsh reality is that you've moved to a part of the world where coarse fishing opportunities are pretty poor. If you avoid the few local ponds, you are pretty much left with nothing, unless you are prepared to travel. The nearest viable river fishing is either on the river Hull south of Driffield or the Derwent around Malton. Depending on where you've come from, there's a chance that there won't be much within many miles that you'd consider to be a decent venue. I spent the better part of ten years working/part time living in the area. There weren't many decent venues then and some are not available now. I don't live that far away now, but there's not a single fishing venue over that way that I'd choose to go to.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Was going to suggest the river Esk but, that’s more Whitby way isn’t it ? 🤔

Simmo

Cheers Sam, If it comes to carp puddles, are there any of those nearby do you know? Some of those ofer decent silver fish action too at a push.

Thanks for your reply 👍🏼

Simmo

Should have added : I'm happy to travel an hour or so if that's needed. Was looking for local obviously but if that's a failure then I'll go further.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It is. It's also almost entirely game fishing. People get very upset at the prospect of bait and a bit of balsa.
Yeah, not many fluff chuckers like us lot. I was proper frowned upon when sat fishing in Scotland years ago. 🙄

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I think I’ve seen a fishing tackle shop in Scarborough. Worth a telephone call perhaps ?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Cheers Sam, If it comes to carp puddles, are there any of those nearby do you know? Some of those ofer decent silver fish action too at a push.

Thanks for your reply 👍🏼
First time round, I was near to Driffield, most fishing was at venues no longer available (Welham tench, Castle Howard, Woldgate (Bridlington)) or venues a fair distance away. It was bad enough that I didn't even keep fishing gear with me that often in my second phase over there. However, the ones I went to most recently were Rosedale (Hunmanby), Brooklands (between Sherburn and Brompton-By-Sawdon) and Thorpe Hall (Ruston). Going a little more commercial, Wykeham Lakes has a mixed fish puddle.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
My dad says ..... North Yorkshire Water Park I phoned him to ask if he knew anywhere for you as he goes sea fishing over your way. Maybe worth googling ?

Simmo

First time round, I was near to Driffield, most fishing was at venues no longer available (Welham tench, Castle Howard, Woldgate (Bridlington)) or venues a fair distance away. It was bad enough that I didn't even keep fishing gear with me that often in my second phase over there. However, the ones I went to most recently were Rosedale (Hunmanby), Brooklands (between Sherburn and Brompton-By-Sawdon) and Thorpe Hall (Ruston). Going a little more commercial, Wykeham Lakes has a mixed fish puddle.
Aye, I've heard of the Rosedale one, I've also seen one on the way to Hornsea when travelling from Brid. Not sure where the actual location, or the name, is but I'll take note the next time I pass. I'll have a search round for info regarding your other locations too.
Thanks again for your time. 👍🏼

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
When I was driving to east coast every day had a drop near Skipsea and drove on b1249 to Driffield there was a lock near a lay by I used to park at you could see perch and other fish in water like a whirlpool dont no if its day ticket maybe called Wansford lock

Simmo

My dad says ..... North Yorkshire Water Park I phoned him to ask if he knew anywhere for you as he goes sea fishing over your way. Maybe worth googling ?
Thanks very much Mick, I've had a Google around but up to now it seems that quite a few if the smaller waters are mentioned but no real info about them.

Simmo

When I was driving to east coast every day had a drop near Skipsea and drove on b1249 to Driffield there was a lock near a lay by I used to park at you could see perch and other fish in water like a whirlpool dont no if its day ticket maybe called Wansford lock
Thanks Chris.
Damflask! Fished there quite a lot as I originate from the Sheffield area. I used to fish the matches on Howbrook Res in High Green and also on Westwood Dam just along the road from there.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
Hi only fished Westwood once my local years ago was Ecclesfield pond ok for small carp and tench roach in winter

SeanB

Site Supporter
There's Daiwa Westlands at Sigglesthorne, River Hull at Beverly, Star Carr at Brandesburton, Wansford Trout and Coarse Fishery near Driffield, River Rye, River Derwent, River Ouse (about an hour away) a couple of ponds at Ulrome, Rosedale that's already been mentioned, some ponds towards Malton, probably more I've forgotten. Hull and District AA have their own waters and stretches of rivers as do York District Angling Association.

david white

Site Supporter
It’s a dilemma but I’m guessing you’ve at least a month or so to gather info what with this ‘ stay local ‘ guidance 😀
( you never consider beach fishing ) 😀😀

I’ll forward you some info on some venues in the near future but SeanB is on the right tracks

Simmo

It’s a dilemma but I’m guessing you’ve at least a month or so to gather info what with this ‘ stay local ‘ guidance 😀
( you never consider beach fishing ) 😀😀

I’ll forward you some info on some venues in the near future but SeanB is on the right tracks
Hi Dave,
I've kinda come 'full circle' now. My initial plan was to start sea fishing locally but I soon realised that:

a) Dunno how to.
b) Don't have any gear and don't really know what I need.
c) Can only do it when the tide is right.
d) The tide can drown you if you aren't careful.
e) Chuffin tourists all over in the summer.
f) I have over 2 grands worth of gear in the loft - 2 poles and a long rod which I've saved. Rest of gear is gone but at least I know what to buy.
g) I have 40 yrs of experience coarse fishing and zero experience sea fishing.

I had a 'Eureka moment' this morning and thought that my efforts would be best served sticking to what I know best. 😁😁

Simmo

There's Daiwa Westlands at Sigglesthorne, River Hull at Beverly, Star Carr at Brandesburton, Wansford Trout and Coarse Fishery near Driffield, River Rye, River Derwent, River Ouse (about an hour away) a couple of ponds at Ulrome, Rosedale that's already been mentioned, some ponds towards Malton, probably more I've forgotten. Hull and District AA have their own waters and stretches of rivers as do York District Angling Association.
Cheers for that Sean,
That will give me something to look at. 👍🏼

Simmo

Hi only fished Westwood once my local years ago was Ecclesfield pond ok for small carp and tench roach in winter
Ah yes, Ecco Pond. Spent hundreds of hours on there as a youth. That's where I 'cut my teeth' as an angler.