Looking for rod recommendations.

Simmo

Back again ..

I need to buy myself a couple of rods but am way out of touch with what's available nowadays. Happy to shell out a couple of hundred or so for each rod. I've always preferred a faster action rod and can't really get on with these 'rubbery' things which bounce all over the place when casting with them. I used to use the Dam Carboron rods (yep, that's a while ago 😁) Had the 11ft ledger and the 13ft stick and found the action on those just right. I'll be fishing mostly stillwater silver fish venues but will doubtless encounter the odd carp too so an 'all rounder for both the float rod and the tip rod would be good. From what I see, the local waters I'll be using are all fairly small so an 11ft tip rod will suffice for everything I need. No need to be chucking 6oz feeders anywhere. I'll probably pair the rods up with a couple of Shimano reels but again I'm open to suggestions for float/ledger reels.

Thanks everyone, you've all been very helpful already. 👍🏼

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
May be a bit high price, but if you want a poker stiff 11ft feeder rod then the 11ft Tournament SLR springs to mind. Its a casting weapon so very tippy.

At the budget end I can recommend an 11ft Daiwa Aqualite feeder. Not super stiff but not floppy either, its a continental type feeder rod so beefier than most.

For a commercial type feeder the Daiwa Yank n Bank is worth a look. Quite a stiff action for a commercial type rod but still retains a good playing action.

Float rods aren't my forte, so I'll let everyone else step in and recommend Drennan Acolytes 🤭

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
On the float rods I’d have a look at the maver signature pro or garbolino essential as they feel like good allrounders and bobco are doing deals on them at the moment. Acolyte ultras are the best silvers rods for me but you really don’t want to be using them anywhere there is likely to be more than the very occasional carp. For feeder rods the choice is almost endless!

nejohn

Site Supporter
Like you I prefer my float rod with a fast tip speed, I do not get on with the action of Drennan Acolytes as I find that although they seem to have a fast tip they are also a little too soft in the middle section for my liking. The signature pro might be a good choice as the action is more progressive, also take a look at Gabolino rods as the higher spec ones have a quite a nice action, although being sort of parabolic the curve is much higher up the blank than typical parabolic actioned rods, The Matrix Horizon Pro X also looks very interesting but I have yet to see one of these in the flesh also the Tri-cast Excelence range might be an option. As for feeder rods your options vast, there are lots of very good 11ft feeder rods out there with prices ranging from as little as £50 upto £300+ if you are looking for something upper mid range the Daiwa N'zons, Drennan Acolytes, Preston supera's along with several Tri-Casts are very good. Reel wise my preference would be something with a Daiwa badge on (just personal preference) ranging from a little over £50 for a ninja upto £300+ for a TDX, my choice would be something in the middle of that like a TDM, Matchwinner etc.

But the best advice is do not buy blind, I know it is currently difficult to try stuff with the shops being closed but if you could wait until you can get out and try them it could save you making an expensive mistake

Simmo

Like you I prefer my float rod with a fast tip speed, I do not get on with the action of Drennan Acolytes as I find that although they seem to have a fast tip they are also a little too soft in the middle section for my liking. The signature pro might be a good choice as the action is more progressive, also take a look at Gabolino rods as the higher spec ones have a quite a nice action, although being sort of parabolic the curve is much higher up the blank than typical parabolic actioned rods, The Matrix Horizon Pro X also looks very interesting but I have yet to see one of these in the flesh also the Tri-cast Excelence range might be an option. As for feeder rods your options vast, there are lots of very good 11ft feeder rods out there with prices ranging from as little as £50 upto £300+ if you are looking for something upper mid range the Daiwa N'zons, Drennan Acolytes, Preston supera's along with several Tri-Casts are very good. Reel wise my preference would be something with a Daiwa badge on (just personal preference) ranging from a little over £50 for a ninja upto £300+ for a TDX, my choice would be something in the middle of that like a TDM, Matchwinner etc.

But the best advice is do not buy blind, I know it is currently difficult to try stuff with the shops being closed but if you could wait until you can get out and try them it could save you making an expensive mistake
Thanks very much nejohn 👍

Simmo

Just as an update chaps..
After lots of pointers from @banksy who has been more than helpful, it looks as though most of the stuff I'll be doing will be on carp puddles. This is influencing my choice of rods more now in a particular direction. Obviously I need to get a rod which will do the job of which there are doubtless dozens. I'm currently looking at the MAP Parabolix SUV or the Shimano Aero x5 Precision 9/11ft feeder rod. Not far to chuck on any of the waters so either of these should do fine. From what I gather (banksy is welcome to step in here if I'm mistaken) it looks as though the carp will be mid single to mid double figure fish and so I need to be able to cope with those.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these and do they look to be a decent choice please?

Cheers everyone. 👍🏼

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
I have a Parabolix SUV in 12ft and its a decent rod. Up for sale in the classifieds actually 🙂

Supposed to be a casting tool but could be stiffer in my opinion, but will handle Carp in the teens easily.

Simmo

I have a Parabolix SUV in 12ft and its a decent rod. Up for sale in the classifieds actually 🙂

Supposed to be a casting tool but could be stiffer in my opinion, but will handle Carp in the teens easily.
Bit long for me but thanks for the tip though. What are you looking for to replace it? Reason I ask is if there's something a bit stiffer, I would be interested in taking a look. 👍🏼

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
I'm actually thinning out my commercial type gear to focus on speci fishing (Barbel, Pike etc)

I've previously owned a Tournament SLR and that's where I'd go for a stiffer action. Couldn't justify keeping it though at the £350 price tag.

At the other end of the scale I like the action of the Yank n Bank. I own the 10ft and it has nice power in the mid section compared to most commercial type feeder rods and very accurate cast. There is a heavier power version too which is fantastic from having a waggle.

Tip_King

Have you looked at the Freespirit range of rods. I have some of these for my commercial and natural water fishing
The CTX range are cheaper than the Hi S range but are very very good rods
They make a range to cover all situations

Simmo

Have you looked at the Freespirit range of rods. I have some of these for my commercial and natural water fishing
The CTX range are cheaper than the Hi S range but are very very good rods
They make a range to cover all situations
The CTX's look very good for what I need 👍🏼 The 11ft carp feeder is well within my budget too. Will it cope with the bigger carp such as the mid-double sized stuff? Also does it have a decent action, as in it doesn't bounce about when getting ready to launch the feeder with it hanging behind you. That's the bit which used to bug me with the softer rods, I never felt in control when the feeder was bouncing all over the place!

Tip_King

It’s action is perfect. I can’t stand floppy rods. I just can’t get on with the action of them
With the 11ft rod you should be able to Chuck a method up to about 70 yds if necessary
Plenty of videos on YouTube about these rods. Check the ones from Rob Wooten

Tip_King

Sorry, forgot to add. Will handle anything your likely to catch in commercials. Even big doubles

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Back again ..

I need to buy myself a couple of rods but am way out of touch with what's available nowadays. Happy to shell out a couple of hundred or so for each rod. I've always preferred a faster action rod and can't really get on with these 'rubbery' things which bounce all over the place when casting with them. I used to use the Dam Carboron rods (yep, that's a while ago 😁) Had the 11ft ledger and the 13ft stick and found the action on those just right. I'll be fishing mostly stillwater silver fish venues but will doubtless encounter the odd carp too so an 'all rounder for both the float rod and the tip rod would be good. From what I see, the local waters I'll be using are all fairly small so an 11ft tip rod will suffice for everything I need. No need to be chucking 6oz feeders anywhere. I'll probably pair the rods up with a couple of Shimano reels but again I'm open to suggestions for float/ledger reels.

Thanks everyone, you've all been very helpful already. 👍🏼
Some brilliant rods around from most manufacturers, tri cast are excellent rods ,ive had a few of preston and mavers and garbolino ,shimano ,,,,all have some really decent rods

Simmo

It’s action is perfect. I can’t stand floppy rods. I just can’t get on with the action of them
With the 11ft rod you should be able to Chuck a method up to about 70 yds if necessary
Plenty of videos on YouTube about these rods. Check the ones from Rob Wooten
Sounds like the job for me then. Thanks very much for the suggestion. 👍