Looking for Rivers Northamptonshire/Warwickshire

Kevnewson123

Hi everyone, I’ve just started taking up fishing again with the kids but have never fished up where I live now. I live in Daventry which is between Northamptonshire and Warwickshire so either is easy to get to. I’m basically looking for somewhere I can park up and and take 3 young children all 5 years old and under without having to hike or mountain climb to get there and somewhere I can lay a blanket down for the kids to sit on and watch dad fish his heart out ;) haha without them trying to jump into the river!!! In the end we went to Braunston canal on Sunday which to be honest we did really well and I was quite impressed but I do prefer a bit of river fishing if available. Any help or advice would be greatly received, many thanks.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The Stratford lido on the Avon is very convenient. Fairly big free car park then a short easy walk to the first few pegs. Pretty consistent fishing as well, Roach, Dace, Perch, Guedgeon, Chublets and unfortunately bleak should be fairly easy to tempt.

Kevnewson123

The Stratford lido on the Avon is very convenient. Fairly big free car park then a short easy walk to the first few pegs. Pretty consistent fishing as well, Roach, Dace, Perch, Guedgeon, Chublets and unfortunately bleak should be fairly easy to tempt.
I’ve googled it from my house and it seems to be a good 70 miles away from me. I do appreciate the tip though. I think I’d be looking more into Rugby or Northampton and surrounding areas, I think the local rivers here are the Nene and the Ouse. Thanks for your help.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Should be about 25 miles from daventry unless they've moved it or theres two daventrys? The leam at leamington is closer still and is supposed to be pretty decent and theres obviously the avon there as well. Im afraid I dont know the nene and only know the ouse in buckinghamshire

Kevnewson123

Should be about 25 miles from daventry unless they've moved it or theres two daventrys? The leam at leamington is closer still and is supposed to be pretty decent and theres obviously the avon there as well. Im afraid I dont know the nene and only know the ouse in buckinghamshire
Ah it sent me to Stratford park lido in Stroud? Found a leamington anglers page with it on, I’ll give that a go. Thanks and only one Daventry thank god :p haha

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Ah I see I thought something must have gone wrong there, the perils of google! Its £3 day tickets but I think the club is less than £30 from what I recall.

Kevnewson123

I think that’s me and the kids sorted for the weekend. Not taking it too seriously yet, got ourselves a nice middy 4m carp pole/whip with elastic for about £17 from dennets with a not too bad little rig but bought a couple of extra drennan ones to use just in case. Literally took a pint of maggots and went to the canal with a pint of maggots and kept pulling them out all day. Cost me no more than £30 and will probably last me and the kids ages until I get serious and they want their own rods/whips. Made me remember how much I like fishing, just need to re learn even the basics like tying hooks and making my own rigs or just be lazy and buy ready made stuff, it’s so cheap anyway aha. Thanks for all the advice again mate, it’s appreciated;)

Kevnewson123

Ah I see I thought something must have gone wrong there, the perils of google! Its £3 day tickets but I think the club is less than £30 from what I recall.
It’s £40 for membership which is ok, I’d be using it most weekends. I’m assuming your allowed to take your kids and Missus if they not fishing? I’ll have to read up on the rules first I think. Membership runs out in March 2021

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
No problem mate. Not sure how the membership works as I only fish it on day ticket as only get up there occasionally. The bailiffs are quite friendly so they’ll help you out.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Without wishing to preach but with three kids under 5 to watch over would you not be safer taking them to a lake rather than river? Plenty of good commercial lakes around Daventry that are safe and have the usual facilities.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Tbf neil the Avon around Stratford and the leam in leamington is very safe at this time of year. The banks are in better nick than a lot of lakes.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
The Lido is effectively a public park - it's the local beach with sunbathing, boating and swimming in fine weather ;)

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Albeit a bit deeper and more of a pole venue, there’s also the Avon at Myton Road in Warwick, which I think is still on the Warwick DAA book. It’s also a public park. The club website looks seven years out of date but the tackle shop in Warwick can advise.
It also depends on what sort of “river fishing” you want to do? And whether you want club or day ticket fishing.

slightly closer to you is the Nene around Northampton. most of the Nene is very slow flowing And I haven’t really fished it in years so not best placed to advise.

The Great Ouse stretches are a little further away. like the Nene, a lot of the Ouse is very weedy in the summer and most is in farmland with reasonable to long walks... so doesn’t fit your bill so well. olney & Clifton club have a very active public Facebook page which shows the kind of catches possible on there and they have some More accessible banks. I think they’re not doing day tickets this year.