Looking for advice on an allrounder...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tibul

Well been carp fishing for a long time now, so i am wanting to have a go at some other areas of fishing so i can have a rest from carp every now and then.

I'm looking for suggestions on a rod and reel that could handle barbel and chub but also be good for other fish i.e. tench, bream etc, my carp rods and reels are a bit over kill for most these fish I'd say [:eek:)]

Im trying my best to avoid buying different rods and reels for each sort of fish if i can help it would prefer just one good allrounder.

I guess this sort of questions has been asked many times but i would be grateful for the help.

Thom

i've used the greys prodigy power float rod for silvers with few problems and at a push it could be used as a leger rod but mangrojack has also had some very large carp to 20lb on it. team this up with a shimano whisker or a shimano reel and youve got a very nice combo!

mangrojack

i yes for float fishing the greys power wagg would suit you but if im honest i think want you want is omething like the masterline avon quiver where you get a avon top you can float fish with and quiver tops for feeder fishing. a very versatile rod

Tibul

So these rods should be good for hard fighting fish like barbel and tench but ok for smaller silver fish.

Thanks for the help so far.

mangrojack

the avon rod wouldnt be suitable for silvers well not for me, not saying you wouldnt land them on it mind you just wouldnt get same fight. everything else it would be bang on for the masterline avon quiver this is im talking about.

if im honest mate you wont get a rod that does everything perfectly some area it will not suit even with rods that say they do it all.

masterline avon quiver or similar for me mate.

mrhaze

i have both the masterline john wilson avon and barbel quivers and love them.

pretty versatile for the price range and with the avon top fitted you can use em to float fish if you need to.

personally i'd pickup the avon version and a good float rod. i have a profish 12foot float rod and have had carp up to 10.5lb on it with no problem at all.

reelwise get one of the little shimano ones. i picked up a brand new shimno nexave as a spare to my abu cardinals on ebay for 20 recently. quality little reel so it is too.

Tibul

Thanks for the help all ill be sure to have a look at the suggestions, ill be visiting a few tackle places this weekend to have a look.

Tibul

Just noticed this on bennets web site does this look like a pritty good kit for the money?

http://www.bosfish.co.uk/PRODUCTS/outfits/be177coarsebarbel.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.