Looking for a stripper

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Now I have caught your attention, I have a large oak front door to strip. I was going to just slap a coat of paint on it, but it already has several coats and is a pretty rough job, so I thought I would make a better job of it. The question is, what is the best way to proceed, heat gun or chemicals?
I am a bit concerned about the chemicals as we have lots of animals, but it does look the easiest option. The heat gun looks less messy though.
What do you pros use?
Once finished, if it comes out well, I would prefer to keep it oak, with a varnish or similar finish. If I have to paint it, what type paint would you recommend?
Thanks
Dave

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
I would try a small section with a heat gun or stripper then sand it to see how deep the paint has penetrated the wood. If it's not too bad a light/dark oak stain then varnish should do. My preference would be a heat gun just be careful not to scorch the wood.

GeoffW

Site Supporter
Now I have caught your attention, I have a large oak front door to strip. I was going to just slap a coat of paint on it, but it already has several coats and is a pretty rough job, so I thought I would make a better job of it. The question is, what is the best way to proceed, heat gun or chemicals?
I am a bit concerned about the chemicals as we have lots of animals, but it does look the easiest option. The heat gun looks less messy though.
What do you pros use?
Once finished, if it comes out well, I would prefer to keep it oak, with a varnish or similar finish. If I have to paint it, what type paint would you recommend?
Thanks
Dave
Do you have anyone who does dip stripping? They use caustic soda solution which takes the wood back to un painted oak.
It depends on how well made the orginal oak door is though. If it is an old one, there shouldn't be any glued joints. Some friends of mine make solid oak doors by traditional methods and theirs don't even need varnishing.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Just a quick word of warning Sportsman if you go down the Nitromorse route. My ex next door neighbour splashed some in his eye while stripping his mums old side board and now has tunnel vision in that one eye. Please be careful matey. ?

GeoffW

Site Supporter
Just a quick word of warning Sportsman if you go down the Nitromorse route. My ex next door neighbour splashed some in his eye while stripping his mums old side board and now has tunnel vision in that one eye. Please be careful matey. ?
Good point Mick, I think that one of the Nitromors formulations has caustic in. If possible use a visor to protect your face as well as gloves. And have a load of clean water handy in case of splashes on you.

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
Here is what we normally do. Remove the door and lay it on two tressles, remove all furniture. Take a belt sander to all of the flat surfaces in the direction of the grain just to the point of exposing the bare wood. Use stripper on the moulds. then decide what finish your'e gonna do from there. We use the same technique for restoring corded sash windows.

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
Nemises paint stripper from Screwfix is better than Nitromors and cheaper (y)

cjsid

If you are going to use the heat gun be aware some old paints contain lead , if you are going to use a belt sander do it slowly to quick will melt the paint , good luck have fun

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I do a fair old amount of stripping ancient timbers back to bare wood for heritage repairs

the best method I have found so far, is using a hot gun, preferably a twin heat one, a good stiff bladed set of 1, 2 and 3 inch straight egded stripping knives and a pair of shave hooks, the curved for mouldings and a straight edged triangle for flat work

the only time I will reach for the chemical strippers is on particularly fine or intricate mouldings,

last time I was in france, they wouldnt sell us the chems unless we could produce a "Carte"

wear a mask, a good one, as has been said above, pre 45 paints contain lead and early varnishes hold all sorts of nasty ingredients

good gloves are handy too, as the lead can be absorbed through the skin, plus the burnt paint is bloody hot

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Thanks to all of you for the excellent advice. Thankfully the door is not old enough to have lead paint.
I think I will try the heat gun and see where that leaves us.(y)

me

Best paint / varnish striiper is called peel away . Nitromorse, paramorse ect are rubbish now theyve changed the formula

davylad

I tried a few different strippers on my garage door, but I ended up using a heat gun, much better job.

matti

Site Supporter
I would take the door off and temporarily board it up, and find somewhere local that can dip it for you, it's a bit of a faff but you end up with a much better job