Looking for a shimano 3000/4000 size reel

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
I have a gap in my reels my daiwa 120m has given up, I've swapped some reels about leaving me with a gap on my long range slider/waggler rod I've not had shimano before looking for a second hand reel budget 50-70 I dont know the ranges models to know what a old flag ship reel or budget offering is, some pointers of which reels would be suitable (ps I dont mind rear drag) , seen I nice looking vanford but that's way to shiny n new. Cheers guys.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If by budget you mean cheaper new then it's worth looking at the Saharas. I've got 2 of the 2500 rear drags for my float rods and they do look and feel better than most £50 pound ish reels. Don't suppose they'd be any different in bigger sizes.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
That was not what was implied I dont know the shimano range so I might see a reel think it looks ok but its shimano's lower end or budget offering as opposed to the flagship, by buying older I might get a better reel than my budget could get new.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Ah right I'm with you now 👍🏻 can't help with higher end reels I'm afraid as I can't really justify them for my fishing.

Sebbie

Site Supporter
You can usually pick up some Aero Match IIIs within your budget on eBay and they’re good reliable reels (I’ve got 3 of them in addition to GTMs which are more suited to feeder work). Even if the bearings are worn they’re cheap (c.£6) and easily fitted.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
I recently bought a Okuma Ceymar CBF 30 (BF Baitfeeder\Baitrunner) for close range River low resistance Perch fishing.
Very nice reel. Smooth, light and the baitrunner turns off nicely with a turn of the handle.
My reel only came with one spool though.
I would buy their other reels but I've no need. The following could be worth a punt if you're interested:

lucc

For a cheap Shimano and excellent price/quality ratio, buy the Sedona, you won't be disapointed. Excellent progressive brake (much better than Daiwa equivalent).

MarkW

If you can get a decent Stradic GTM 2500 for the money then they're bombproof.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
If your budget can be stretched, there's an Aero 4000fa in the classifieds, can't believe it hasn't sold.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
These are new for 2021 from Garbolino and could be another option:

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
After looking at the second hand reels and decided they were fetching in my opinion to much money, I've decided to buy new a preston centris nt, I await delivery. Thanks to all that offered advise.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Somebody else on a budget may also like this 4000 Series Okuma Ceymar CXTR-40RD Rear Drag
It weighs only 269g & selling for £47.15. Rear Drag Reels are not fashionable these days but I prefer them myself as it's way easier to set the Drag during the fight.
I have the Okuma CBF 30 Reel (3000 Series Baitfeeder\Baitrunner) and it's a lovely smooth well made little reel.