Looking for a new seatbox.

Simmo

I've decided to get back on the bank after a long period of being missing, like about 12 years. Basically, other than a couple of poles and a long rod which I hung on to, I have naff all. I used to use a Watercraft box with a triple deck of drawers. Acres of storage space therein 😁 I'm now looking at these 'spaceage' seatboxes and thinking to myself 'where the flip do they put everything!' I had tubes of wagglers, tubes of stickfloats, boxes of winders, multiple reels and heaven knows what in mine. Not the lightest of boxes but it served me well. Can anyone recommend any of these 'new' boxes please. I'd be wanting accessories to fit such as feeder arm, pole rest etc just in case any of these boxes don't have 'standard fittings' although I presume that the stuff nowadays supports this anyway.

Would I be right in assuming that reels and other bulkier items now live in carryalls?

Cheers chaps 👍🏼

Griffo

Site Supporter
Good luck with the search, the vast choice now is mind blowing. I went with the Preston SL30, mainly as I got a good deal from the local shop, but it also has a deep base compartment, I carry just about the same as I did in my old watercraft (still in the garage, vintage). All box systems have great options now, the two things I would think about if I was buying again. Seat box height from platform, some systems have a fixed solid box frame and to adjust seat height you need to add trays / layers to get the right hight, or like mine you have four independent legs to adjust, both have pro’s and cons. But if you fish rivers a lot go for the fixed frame that way you get to use the full leg length for adjustment in the water. The other is do I want a platform. Hope that makes sense.

tedstriker

Site Supporter
you can still get some boxes with deep base units, how much are you looking to spend?

Simmo

Cheers Griffo,
Yep I was pretty amazed by the huge choice and most of them didn't impress me after being used to a Watercraft box. I'll take a look at the Preston though so thanks for the tip. Might end up buying second hand yet too. 👍🏼

tedstriker

Site Supporter
the matrix f25 mk2 has a deep base unit, 25mm legs so pretty much any attachment fits, its a H frame so fully height adjustable and its lightweight Product

Simmo

Thanks very much for the help up to now chaps 👍🏼
Another quick question if I may - Do you know if any particular manufacturer is better when it comes to extras such as feeder arms etc or are they more or less on a par with each other? I didn't want to fork out for a box and then struggle to get extras for it.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Thanks very much for the help up to now chaps 👍🏼
Another quick question if I may - Do you know if any particular manufacturer is better when it comes to extras such as feeder arms etc or are they more or less on a par with each other? I didn't want to fork out for a box and then struggle to get extras for it.
If it has 25mm ,30,36,mm legs you can get extras from most suppliers ,

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
From another angle. Think about car space. Watercraft boxes did not have a large footprint, I loved mine. The new bowes are massive in comparison and a bigger car old be needed