Looking for a light well balanced pole/whip for silver fishing

brianNN5

Site Supporter
Hi all
Looking at purchasing a pole/whip for silver fishing on local commercials and possibly rivers/canals. Budget is up to £500 (but would prefer less). Pleasure fishing only.
I do not want to fish at more than around 8-9m and due to arthritis in my hands will need a light well balanced slim pole to allow me to fish for a few hours.
Looking to catch a mixed bag of fish but not intending to use it for carp as I have a other poles and feeder rod that I use when chasing the carp.

I may be well wide of the mark but I have been reading about the various system whips, some of which seem very light at 8m (from 250-400g) and one of these may meet my needs as I can fish with a flick tip and/or light elastic. Alternatively I could just get a standard (match?) pole that is suitable but would not be using one at full length (a margin/carp pole would probably be too heavy for what I'm looking for). A top 3 with flick tip could come in handy on the rivers/canals, otherwise two/three elasticated top 2's would be all I need.

If a system whip is recommended these mainly have a telescopic top 2/3 sections so would I just elasticate the top hollow number 2 section?

Any recommendations welcome.

Last edited:

DFL

Site Supporter
I too suffer from arthritic hands and can safely say, nothing gives me greater pleasure fishing than my Daiwa Harrier whip. It’s incredibly light but strong enough to handle fish to five pound. They do only go to 7 metres though. Often pop up on Ebay ranging from £70 to £100.

I’ve only had a waggle in my local shop but the Drennan Acolyte whip at 8m is also a lovely light piece of kit, with a spare elasticated top section you’re still well within your budget. After using the whip a pole feels very cumbersome to me.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I think you will go a long way to find anything anywhere near as good as the tri-cast system whip, it's light, slim and surprisingly strong (watch the video on the tri-cast web site) it comes with a flick tip and 2 spare hollow kits so makes it very versatile, ok it's not the cheapest but it is a quality piece of kit

frankg

Site Supporter
Hi all
Looking at purchasing a pole/whip for silver fishing on local commercials and possibly rivers/canals. Budget is up to £500 (but would prefer less). Pleasure fishing only.
I do not want to fish at more than around 8-9m and due to arthritis in my hands will need a light well balanced slim pole to allow me to fish for a few hours.
Looking to catch a mixed bag of fish but not intending to use it for carp as I have a other poles and feeder rod that I use when chasing the carp.

I may be well wide of the mark but I have been reading about the various system whips, some of which seem very light at 8m (from 250-400g) and one of these may meet my needs as I can fish with a flick tip and/or light elastic. Alternatively I could just get a standard (match?) pole that is suitable but would not be using one at full length (a margin/carp pole would probably be too heavy for what I'm looking for). A top 3 with flick tip could come in handy on the rivers/canals, otherwise two/three elasticated top 2's would be all I need.

If a system whip is recommended these mainly have a telescopic top 2/3 sections so would I just elasticate the top hollow number 2 section?

Any recommendations welcome.

If you're able to spend up to £500, go for the Tricast Competition Whip....1 flick-tip top and 2 hollow tops. It will handle very good fish even on the flick-tip, but is light and great to use.
If you buy extra tops, rather than buy the hollow top, buy the flick-tip top and just remove the solid tip and the next section and you have the hollow top...plus a spare couple of bits in case of breakage.
I've got 4-6, 6-8 & 8-10 solids in my tops plus 2 flick-tip tops. Used as a short, light pole with the hollow tops it's a joy to use!