Looking for a hand built avon

Billy the fish 1954

Hi guys seeking opinions regarding hand crafted rods, while recovering from covid over Xmas decided to treat yours truly to a centrepin objective to fish the margins on local water for specimens, so need a rod to compliment the reel looking to spend £250
TC around 1lb 6oz through action, length 11ft 2 sections, needs to be light, know there are loads of rods out there but want one just for me
budget is flexibl, thanks in advance

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
go on ebay, put in harrison rods

theres a few that build avons to spec on that

squimp

Site Supporter
As already stated the Harrison 11ft Avon is a lovely blank.

Finding a used one might be a long term project !

Dave Lumb currently has a 12ft 1.25 test Torrix for sale at a reduced price - you could do worse than buy that....details on his website.

squimp

Site Supporter
In that case.

Some top tier rod builders include: Mark Tunley (as above), Chris Orme, Cotswold Rods (Tom Pollard), Dave Lumb, Vic Gibson (via Johnson Ross tackle) and one or two others.

If you read the rod section of Dave Lumb’s website there appears to be a serious issue with the current supply of Harrison blanks and some rod building components. You might be lucky and find somebody who has the right blank in stock as per Sam’s suggestion; then you just have to decide how to have it built. Conversely you might be unlucky and have to join a very long queue - hence my flagging up the Torrix rod available now.

If you have already chosen a blank, fine. If not, some of the rod builders detail what the different blanks will do........you could try phoning some up for a chat.

TimFB

I have two Harrison 11ft equal section 1.6 Avon’s. I re-built them myself having picked them up for a song second hand. They are crackers and I have had bream to 9lb and Carp to 14 on them (although the rod was pretty maxed out at times on that one :D). I think there are a couple of tackle shops that sell them ready built by custom builders.

Billy the fish 1954

I have two Harrison 11ft equal section 1.6 Avon’s. I re-built them myself having picked them up for a song second hand. They are crackers and I have had bream to 9lb and Carp to 14 on them (although the rod was pretty maxed out at times on that one :D). I think there are a couple of tackle shops that sell them ready built by custom builders.
Cheers Tim, have been looking at that rod it’s built on the chimera blank, some shops quoting 4 months for delivery, may call Harrison’s for a chat only 20 mins from our house, the more research I do the more options open up, blanks, rings handle, whippings, reel seat, end caps, then any names etc, thought it would be simple

TimFB

Cheers Tim, have been looking at that rod it’s built on the chimera blank, some shops quoting 4 months for delivery, may call Harrison’s for a chat only 20 mins from our house, the more research I do the more options open up, blanks, rings handle, whippings, reel seat, end caps, then any names etc, thought it would be simple
I know what you mean...so much choice. I ended up building mine like this...I got all the bits from guidesnblanks.com

803D026E-4767-4060-A3BB-B8E0E74E54A6.jpeg 6F82D112-95E8-4E11-AB57-AC39B364AAB1.jpeg

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
The biggest regret of my fishing life, rod wise

was for some stupid idiotic reason selling my matched pair of Harrison interceptors, full cork, 1.75 Tc, now made of unobtainium

I dont know why I done it, I didnt need the money or even the room, but I knew 10 minutes after the guy left the house, that I had done a stupid thing

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I built one in the 70's. North Western SS7 blank, 11' 2 section. It was a beautiful tool but got nicked in 95.