Looking for a float reel

TangleTenant

Good day everyone!

First of all, I would like to state that I am more than happy to be a part of this forum, found it a few weeks ago and it is like a blessing. There is no such thing like this in Hungary.
So onto the question: I have bought a Drennan acolyte plus 13ft float rod which I am happy with. I use a Daiwa prorex lt reel on it in size 4000, it is not bad but the drag feels off, just ordered carbon washers for it. The best part of that reel is the weight, it is just 7.4 oz. My next purchase would be a Drennan Acolyte ultra 13ft for silverfish work, but I am lost when it comes to reels. What would be a great choice to balance the ultra? I don't want to upset the weight and balance of the rod, but would like to have a reliable and smooth reel to pair it with. My budget is around £200.

Thanks in advance!

Dennis

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Good day everyone!

First of all, I would like to state that I am more than happy to be a part of this forum, found it a few weeks ago and it is like a blessing. There is no such thing like this in Hungary.
So onto the question: I have bought a Drennan acolyte plus 13ft float rod which I am happy with. I use a Daiwa prorex lt reel on it in size 4000, it is not bad but the drag feels off, just ordered carbon washers for it. The best part of that reel is the weight, it is just 7.4 oz. My next purchase would be a Drennan Acolyte ultra 13ft for silverfish work, but I am lost when it comes to reels. What would be a great choice to balance the ultra? I don't want to upset the weight and balance of the rod, but would like to have a reliable and smooth reel to pair it with. My budget is around £200.

Thanks in advance!

Dennis

If you can get a Prorex XR reel it's infinitely better than the LT, proper metal body and magsealed, 3020pea is a bit big for float work but the 2500 is perfect.

XR sizes are bigger that the LT sizes.

I have both types and much prefer the XR, already has carbon drag washers ?

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Hi Dennis - I don't have either of the Drennan rods ... but the data I've seen state only a 4g difference in weight - so the same reel should be right for both rods.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I have the Ultra Acolyte 14 foot and find the Drennan series float reel is all I need.
Same except mine is a 13ft ultra. The reel balances the ultra perfectly and the shallow spools are ideal. I’ll be getting the 14ft version and another drennan float reel for next season though as have had enough of only having one good float set up as need to have two set up at once to fish properly really.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Hi, although I have never used one, I have been looking at this reel from Okuma. They do have a good reputation, and in Europe you seem to get a better choice, and because of this, I have ordered some reels from Germany and Poland. This does seem a good spec on this reel.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Cadence cs10 4000
Do you know if the CS10 4000 is smaller than the CS7 4000? I got a freebie CS7 and tried it on my CR10 #1 and it felt huge and heavy and that rod weighs a good ounce more than an acolyte. I would think you’d need a 3000 if going for a cadence.

As it happens I ultimately went for a 2500 shimano Sahara for the CR10. Probably a better engineered reel than the drennan tbh but I prefer the drennan on the acolyte as it feels slightly lighter (and it takes a lot less line) so balances it well.

nejohn

Site Supporter
If you like daiwa reels I would look at something like a TDM or TDR in either 2508 or 3012 sizes, I use a TDM 3012 on my Rive R waggler which is a touch lighter than the acolyte and it feels fine

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Do you know if the CS10 4000 is smaller than the CS7 4000? I got a freebie CS7 and tried it on my CR10 #1 and it felt huge and heavy and that rod weighs a good ounce more than an acolyte. I would think you’d need a 3000 if going for a cadence.

As it happens I ultimately went for a 2500 shimano Sahara for the CR10. Probably a better engineered reel than the drennan tbh but I prefer the drennan on the acolyte as it feels slightly lighter (and it takes a lot less line) so balances it well.

Cs7 Cs10 same size but the 10 has a magnesium frame so a touch lighter.

Reelmaker

Good day everyone!

Thanks in advance!

Dennis
Shimano are very good

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter

Sorry, I don’t, I do like the cs10 reels, I’ve got six of them on my waggler rods, I don’t find them heavy at all,, and they’re only really the size of a 3000 reel anyway, you do have to faff about to get the line lay right, but they are very smooth.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Cs7 Cs10 same size but the 10 has a magnesium frame so a touch lighter.
Thought so. Way too big for a float reel for me. Small for a 4000 but bigger than your average 3000 more a 3500 I’d say. I’m going to stick some 6lb on the shallower spool of mine (still not very shallow) and use it for feeder. The deeper spool is huge so tempted to stick some braid on that and use it for spinning and sea.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Do Cadence reel users find the stem very long ? They do look long in pictures.

TangleTenant

If you like daiwa reels I would look at something like a TDM or TDR in either 2508 or 3012 sizes, I use a TDM 3012 on my Rive R waggler which is a touch lighter than the acolyte and it feels fine
I am really convinced that the TDR range would be a great choice for this, but I haven't seen them myself, and heard that these are generally big reels. Do I need the 3012 from it or is the 2508 enough? Thanks for your suggestion!

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Just noticed your budget. If you want a quality reel, this is it. I had 2, regret selling them. This is the original with push button spool and folding handle.

TangleTenant

Just noticed your budget. If you want a quality reel, this is it. I had 2, regret selling them. This is the original with push button spool and folding handle.
I was looking into this one as well, couldn't decide between all the series Daiwa has. Thanks for the help, I will remember this one when the shopping day comes!