Longer rods on commercials

Jonny w

Hi everyone I’ve been going fishing for around 25 years or so and have always used/preferred float rods around 13ft-14ft for commercial carp/general still water fishing mainly due to preferring the action of a longer rod, however I’m constantly told by many people these days that I should be using a shorter rod, I’ve since tried a few friends 11ft rods and just don’t like them and don’t see the benefit’s, so my question is do you think I’m wrong to prefer Longer rods for commercial’s\ general still waters does anyone else prefer longer rods, I’d love to hear some of your opinion’s

Trent_Fisher

Use what ever you prefer at the end of the day. I prefer shorter rods as they are a bit better when the fish is under the rod tip and aren’t as cumbersome.
On the majority of commercials I fish a big cast isn’t needed either so you don’t need to worry about line pick up issues with shorter rods.

Maverick

Site Supporter
Some commercials have tight pegs and can have trees either side of you. For me this is when short rods are a godsend. If you have big open waters and want to fish further out then longer rods come into their own.

What you choose will depend on the waters you fish. If you use a longer rod then you need a longer landing net handle. This in turn can cause it's own problems. Seen a few landing net handles get crushed under a cars wheels as they drive past the back of the pegs on some commercials.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve almost always used 13ft float rods on them as simply you can cast easier and striker easier. Never fished a place where I’ve not had room to use them.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I must admit that I tend to use shorter rods on commercials as I don't need to cast so far and generally the fish I'm targeting take the hookbait so positively that I don't need to worry as much about line pick up, as I would on rivers.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I must admit to using my 17/20 ft rod like a margin pole. Must also admit to owning a 5m landing net pole. Both are a joy to use.😁

nejohn

Site Supporter
I use both however my definition of short is 11ft and I rarely go that short, I see what people say about netting fish closer in but I just don't like it, for me the fish are far to close to things like platform legs, keepnets etc when you are netting them. If you net them further out you have a little more time to react if the fish runs at the net. Plus I prefer the versitilty of the longer rod. Just because the rod doesn't say 'commercial or pellet waggler' on the butt doesn't mean you can't use it, after all I have yet to see a fish that can read so it doesn't bother them as much as it bothers you. For the record 2 of my favourite rods for pellet waggler fishing are both 13ft...a normark avenger and a maver Nanolith

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I must admit that I tend to use shorter rods on commercials as I don't need to cast so far and generally the fish I'm targeting take the hookbait so positively that I don't need to worry as much about line pick up, as I would on rivers.
Just personal preference really. I used to use 12 and 13'rods, but I find it easier to handle the shorter ones, and they are a lot easier to tackle up with my disabilities

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Only time i use a long rod nowadays is waggler fishing on big rivers, even then a 13ft if its a near run.
Commercial wise, typical smaller pools and snake lakes:
Feeder-9ft-more accuracy in the cast, less cumbersome, don't need any longer
Bomb Rod-9ft, as above
Float-11ft, line pick up on the strike reasoning
Pellet waggler-11ft as above

I have used a long rod targeting big margin fish on say paste, but wouldn't go any longer on typical comercial.

The size and type of fishing has to be factored in above the type of venue, some commercials can be large and require a longer rod, boddington type places or Bream type reservoirs where a longer chuck is needed, but on the commercial front i followed the short rod, fashion, and quickly realised, it wasn't fashion at all, it was technical and a step forwards imo.

alsur

Site Supporter
I switch from longer rods to shorter rods on commercials years ago and the difference they made was significant easier to cast accurately at shorter distances and easier to net fish. I use a 10ft rod most of time but have a 9ft rod that I use on snake lakes. I still have longer rods that I use if I need to cast a long way.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
It's really not that long ago that 13' was pretty much the length to get when buying a float rod. A small number of 11-12' rods were available, often as canal rods. The vast majority wouldn't go near short rods, they were for kids, holiday makers and heathens into spinning. I think I managed to fish for about twenty five years or so without ever owning a rod of less than 12', which included fishing on commies.

What anyone chooses to use is entirely down to them. It's simply a matter of preference. Rods at any length can have downsides depending on the depth of water, casting distance and the vegetation on the bank and in the water.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
It's really not that long ago that 13' was pretty much the length to get when buying a float rod. A small number of 11-12' rods were available, often as canal rods. The vast majority wouldn't go near short rods, they were for kids, holiday makers and heathens into spinning. I think I managed to fish for about twenty five years or so without ever owning a rod of less than 12', which included fishing on commies.

What anyone chooses to use is entirely down to them. It's simply a matter of preference. Rods at any length can have downsides depending on the depth of water, casting distance and the vegetation on the bank and in the water.
I remember those days when I was exclusively river or big waters fishing. I have two sets of rods these days - one for yer average commercial water or match lake where float and feeder rods don't usually need to be more than 11ft, and a longer set of rods for big, natural waters, and rivers/canals. These rods also come into play when I visit day ticket venues with big carp lakes where bream can also be found at a distance

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
I used to use nothing but 13ft rods. When James Robbins told me Shakespeare were going to develop an 11ft Pellet Waggler Rod in 2007 and asked me to look at the prototype, the first model was too stiff so James went back to the drawing board. A little while later he came back with another rod which was perfect. The first time I used it I drew a flier in peg 36 on Woodpecker at Stafford Moor and won the match with 236lbs. Shortly after the Mach 3 Micro 11ft was launched as the production model. After that I used nothing but 11ft float and feeder rods on commercials apart from winter fishing where silvers come into play.

For me 11ft rods are superb on commercials as they are so easy to manage, have superb recovery and just the right amount of power to handle almost anything that swims. The danger with longer rods it if you are catching a lot of fish and they try to get under the platform, the rod is almost bending back on itself and I've seen a number of them snap, whereas with an 11ft rod they are designed to bend through the blank and being shorter the blank isn't subject to the same stresses that 13ft, progressive tip actioned match rods suffer. There's also the added benefit of the fish coming up at perfect netting range and the fact that they are two piece which means you can leave them assembled in a ready rod holdal.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
My go to rods for my local club lakes are either my 11' 12 Oz or if the Carp are being a nuisance my 11' Avon. One of the lakes is really rather deep and then the 13' 12 Oz one comes out

stephanie

just use what suits you thats what i say i have a more than a few ready made rods for fishing commies from little 8 ft picker rods up to 12ft pw and feeder rods and all have a use at some point through the year

Jonny w

Cheers for all the feedback, was beginning to think I was a bit backwards, but that doesn’t seem to be the case reading the comments, seems basically down to personal preference, I’ve never used shorter rods as I’ve never seen the need to, tried them and don’t like them as much so I’ll just be sticking with the longer rods.