Long vs Short sessions

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I love the summer daze feeling I get after an all day summer session. Sunstroke, dehydration... I hope not, I take necessary precautions. What I don't do often though is fish two full days in a row, I wish I did though as my mate had 5 Crucians to 4lb 4oz from the same peg I fished a day earlier this weekend. :LOL: Not saying I would have caught them, but that's spectacular for the venue. If I had a bivvy and stuff like that I'd love to do a 3 day thing though.

BarryS

Gone fishing
I'm usually in it for the long haul, I like to make a day of it and 12 hour sessions in the summer months aren't unusual. I simply can't see the point of getting everything ready, preparing bait etc, just for a couple of hours.
I agree..........but one of the reasons I like flyfishing for carp is its light on gear.. Rod made up and ready in the car..........net/mat light chair some biscuits and everything else in my waistcoat pockets :)

solwood

Site Supporter
Short 2 to 5 hours mostly - club membership changed how i fished.

Sometimes set a number of fish target and when reached go home early! Once within 30 mins !

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
80 percent of my sessions are after work in the evenings. In the summer months this allows me to get in a 3-4 hour session on a weekly basis. If I was single and had more time on my hands, no doubt I would fish at the weekends too, but needs must when you have a young family. My weekend is usually taken up with chores, taxing the kids to clubs or parties or spent together as a family. I hope some of that will ease up in the next few years and allow more spare time, but I suspect the opposite will be true. I usually average a weekend session about once every 5-6 weeks.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
I love the summer daze feeling I get after an all day summer session. Sunstroke, dehydration... I hope not, I take necessary precautions. What I don't do often though is fish two full days in a row, I wish I did though as my mate had 5 Crucians to 4lb 4oz from the same peg I fished a day earlier this weekend. :LOL: Not saying I would have caught them, but that's spectacular for the venue. If I had a bivvy and stuff like that I'd love to do a 3 day thing though.
That is one thing I’m unlikely to ever do - fish overnight. I hate camping and I also love my bed too much 🥰

Chervil

Site Supporter
Must admit, I thought my short sessions, 5-6 hours, would be the exception, but it seems they are fairly normal. Every day's a school day. Of course when I go on my two week fishing holidays, most days are dawn to dusk.

Last edited:

solwood

Site Supporter
For me fishing for sessions of less than 8 hours isn't worth the time and effort of prepping tackle, bait, making butties and flask and then travelling ... and that's mid-winter, more 10+ hours in summer.,..

Besides which most short sessions people do are 0600-1100 or 1600-2100 - which means they are not at the waters' side at the most productive 1100-1600 times... early morning and evening times are. to me anyway, an urban myth .... but so long as it keeps the waters quiet for me then ... FANTASTIC!!! :)
Evening and mornings on the venues i fish are the best

Rarely fish between 10 and 5

In my case littleprep needed

Rods are always made up, no bait to make upas have peljetss corn meat and groundbait