Long range Feeder fishing

Silure

Site Supporter
I live in South West France. We have a very wide and deep river nearby, The Vienne, that is full of big bream, carp, catfish etc.. The locals go out in boats to catch the pike and catfish but I prefer the long range approach so need to cast 100 to 120 yards. What feeder rod would you adise for this distance. Thanks

John Step

Site Supporter
The trouble is that those catfish and carp will require beefy set ups. To cast at distances like that would braid be better. Its a complete different ball game from what we would call distance feeder fishing here. I doubt the rods described as feeder rods here could cope with the cats etc.
I dare say its why the locals use boats for access?

Just thinking sideways here. Could a bait boat be the answer? You would be in effect using a boat for delivery but remain on land yourself?

Silure

Site Supporter
The trouble is that those catfish and carp will require beefy set ups. To cast at distances like that would braid be better. Its a complete different ball game from what we would call distance feeder fishing here. I doubt the rods described as feeder rods here could cope with the cats etc.
I dare say its why the locals use boats for access?

Just thinking sideways here. Could a bait boat be the answer? You would be in effect using a boat for delivery but remain on land yourself?
I would prefer to go for the bream and carp. There is also a large head of barbal and roach. Most though are out pass a big weed bank. So 100 yards is the best place to fish.

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
If you need 5 or 6oz to hold bottom it might be a bit of a tall order to hit 100yds with that sort of weight.

If it were to happen you'll need a continental feeder rod like a Ninja X or Aqualite in 13 or 14ft

Brian Lody

Site Supporter
I think you would need braid.
Also wouldn't carp rods be better suited considering the casting weight and distance.

How are you going to see a roach bite at 120m with 5oz of lead on the bottom ?

Silure

Site Supporter
Thankfully we have several large tackle shops nearby and all stock Daiwa tackle so will give them a visit and try out the Ninja ans Aqualite feeders.
I have braid on my reels. Matrix 5000 and Browning Extreme 6000

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Thats a heck of a lot of line out. Once your feeder hits bottom you are going to have to pay out a fliiping great big bow of line to hold bottom.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
That is a massive ask from a feeder rod. Yes, you may achieve it with 350 quids worth of Daiwa's finest carbon but, for how long for ? Carp rods I reckon. Ukzero1 has done some fishing for carp similar to this. He maybe able to help.

Brian Lody

Site Supporter
Seems there are a lot of Barbel in the river as well.
Googled a bit to see if i could find a picture of the river Vienne as it passes through Roussac.

Silure

Site Supporter
Seems there are a lot of Barbel in the river as well.
Googled a bit to see if i could find a picture of the river Vienne as it passes through Roussac.
We fish the Vienne near Availles Limouzine at the Barrage De Jousseau. also at L'Isle Joudain. There is nopt much flow in the summer as the Barrage at Jousseau controls water levels. 1598177867085.png