Long Pole to Hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrC

Next year i intend giving this a go in ireland on the loughs. I normally use Feeder and Waggler, but me thinks i can get the bream in closer if i try plus i would love to try it.. What advise would you give i.e. Rigs/techniques?? Thanks in advance guys. Mal (MrC)

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
i think a cheaper pole would be perfect for this, a old black magic or something, if its too stiff then i think you would find it hard going, i remeber reading about bob nudd doing this and he used to fish 9m to hand as standard with a nice big float and a big bulk to use like a pendulam! also i have heard of ppl using powergum instead of elastic as it gives a little buffer and you can swing roach to hand!

martin.

Account Locked
hi
ive not tried it myself but a friend of mine last yr was using a 7m margin pole to hand in ireland & had some good roach nets he was using a 18 lacy set with just a bit of give

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

scales

Vinny
Hello MrC, I've used this method in Ireland using a Browning Black Magic pole with 22lb power gum fitted to the top section. Firstly you have to find the deep water close in and you have to used beefy end tackle with this method 6lb main line to a 5 lb hook length and pole floats anything from 3 - 8 grams with big olivettes. Can't say that I've really ever had the bream shoals this close in (7 - 9 metres) but the roach and hybrids certainly will play ball and the hybrids fight like mad on the pole and they try and pull your arms out of your sockets !! But this is a great way of speed fishing to hand once you get used to the long line and as Gingert76 says you pendulum the bait out and the big olivette gets the hook down to the bottom.

Cheers mate,

Scales.

MrC

Thanks guys.
The swim is only going to be about 6-8ft at 10m, is it really worth it? I was on waggler and caught some fine roach and the odd bream later in the day very close in (over the steep ledge)so i was thinking it would be fun to fish long line and about 10m pole(with a good distance between tip and float)what do you think? or shall i stick to waggler and save the hassle.?

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
as scales said, i think it isnt deep enough for bream on the pole to hand but if you fancy catching the roach and hybrids then give it a go, 10m to hand is a bit long unless you are built like a brick sh*t house!!! try the 7-9m to hand that scales suggested and use a BIG float so you can have a big olivette!

good luck!

MrC

7m to hand wont get me over the ledge, i guess i will stick to the waggler or use long pole short line. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.