Long, light feeder rods ?

squimp

Site Supporter
I’m considering buying another feeder rod for specimen applications on rivers....(big roach) and monster chub primarily.

Minimum 11ft 6 long (12ft better), fairly soft action, maximum quiver tip probably in the region of 2oz. Max casting IRO 40 grams.

I haven’t bought anything like that for around 15years so am out of touch on what is currently available. The obvious option would probably be a 12ft Acolyte Ultra ? I can go and look at one when the shops open soon !

What else is out there or maybe better still what were the go to feeder rods 5 years ago - so that I can look for a used one? Most modern feeder rods seem to be aimed at either close range commercial applications or long range carp or bream work. I want something a bit ‘old school’.

I currently own a Shakespeare Quattro which is superb for big roach at short range - but can’t really deal with 5 lb chub, let alone bigger....
I also have a Drennan 12ft IM8 which is a nice rod but a bit the other way - it is fairly stiff in the middle sections....

Any pointers much appreciated.

squimp

Site Supporter
Maybe that will be the case. At least with the Acolytes I will be able to go to a shop and see one or two.

Im really interested in other suggestions for stuff that my local shops won’t stock eg Daiwa/Maver/Tricast and other makers of decent feeder rods.

It may prove that what I’m after is so unfashionable that I have to go back in time to an old Tricast Trophy or some such......

adam11

I don't think your search would be complete without looking at the free spirit 12' feederlite (£135) or if moneys not a worry their Hi's version (£😰) lovley slim blank with quality fittings and Cork, they fall exactly into your description. They cast very well with good recovery and when playing fish they feedback every little nod and shake.
On a more personal note aesthetically I like the subtlety of them too sooner than brash graphics and colours. The blanks are also very scratch resistant (somewhere on YouTube there's a video of one of the free spirit owner rubbing a key up and down the blank without scratching it) and there's no finish on them to blemish other than a couple of inches with the graphic under it.
I've changed all my tip rods to the CTX's now, feederlite's in 10' and 12', 13' power feeder special and a 10'-12' multi feeder and happy I did.

ravey

I currently use an old Daiwa Tormado. It is 11.5 ft, rated up to 3oz, and is my go to bream rod for the Trent, but anything similar would probably fit the Bill, including the Tri-Cast Trophy range from yesteryear. Happy hunting!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Acolyte plus may be a better choice for river feeder fishing in 12 ft .
I might be wrong but I’m assuming @squimp is talking about the Thames on which from opening day til end of October is certainly fine with the ultra. I use an 11ft ultra for it mostly with 20-30g feeders but it’ll do 40g fine. A plus probably would be more suited from November onwards though as the river tends to go from very slow to really pushing overnight. Might be pushing it with big chub on the ultra once the flow gets up as only seen chub to around 4lb on them myself. Have had accidental pike pushing the chub record size on mine though without major issues teeth aside but not in heavy flow.

Last edited:

adam11

I don't think your search would be complete without looking at the free spirit 12' feederlite (£135) or if moneys not a worry their Hi's version (£😰) lovley slim blank with quality fittings and Cork, they fall exactly into your description. They cast very well with good recovery and when playing fish they feedback every little nod and shake.
On a more personal note aesthetically I like the subtlety of them too sooner than brash graphics and colours. The blanks are also very scratch resistant (somewhere on YouTube there's a video of one of the free spirit owner rubbing a key up and down the blank without scratching it) and there's no finish on them to blemish other than a couple of inches with the graphic under it.
I've changed all my tip rods to the CTX's now, feederlite's in 10' and 12', 13' power feeder special and a 10'-12' multi feeder and happy I did.
Sorry, after having re read your post they may have their work cut out on "monster chub"
Sorry 😳having re read your post I think they would have their work cut out on "monster chub" though I'd be more than happy catching four pounders on it but they do match your criteria on length, casting weight and tip tc's etc

squimp

Site Supporter
Sorry, after having re read your post they may have their work cut out on "monster chub"

Sorry 😳having re read your post I think they would have their work cut out on "monster chub" though I'd be more than happy catching four pounders on it but they do match your criteria on length, casting weight and tip tc's etc
Potential is for fish to 8lb plus !

Even bigger fish have been seen close up by reputable anglers......

adam11

Potential is for fish to 8lb plus !

Even bigger fish have been seen close up by reputable anglers......
I'd have a look at the multi for that sort of work, there's plenty of backbone to them but still forgiving under the tip 👍

Ade1

Site Supporter
It's always worth having a look at multi type rods which give you a few options, something like Maver Powerlites can be picked up second hand at reasonable prices and can deal with small fish at short lengths with the light tips and heavier fish at 12/13ft with the heavier tips.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Might be worth looking at the maver reactolite system that is advertised in the classifieds, nice rods and will cover most fishing applications one way or another

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Provided that you don’t want to go lower than 1.7 hooklength and an 18 wide gape then you already have the rod. You can go lighter ... but would risk pulling the hook out occasionally. It’s ideal for the chub, but still forgiving enough for big roach.
I find that it appears to be slightly more powerful at 11ft than 13.
It’s the only feeder rod that i carry for most river venues ... the Harrier whisker kevlar!

squimp

Site Supporter
Provided that you don’t want to go lower than 1.7 hooklength and an 18 wide gape then you already have the rod. You can go lighter ... but would risk pulling the hook out occasionally. It’s ideal for the chub, but still forgiving enough for big roach.
I find that it appears to be slightly more powerful at 11ft than 13.
It’s the only feeder rod that i carry for most river venues ... the Harrier whisker kevlar!
1.7 hooklink doesn’t figure in my fishing world !

I would never have thought to fish that light on that rod - so that is another lesson learnt; thank you.

The sensible approach is probably to use what I already have and see how things go.

Thanks to everybody for the variety of suggestions; if things don’t work out, now I have lots of ideas on where to look for a solution.......

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
to be fair ... the 1.7 would only be where there is zero chance of chub. I’d go 2.1 and above for chub (old fashioned mono such as Bayer).