Lockwood Beck Reservoir

Simon R

Site Supporter
Anyone with really good memories might remember that earlier this year we had a club match scheduled to take place here but due to a complete lack of anything getting caught we went elsewhere. Recently, according to the local grapevine, anglers have been catching again – the earlier poor form being due more to the cool spring rather than a complete wipe-out due to the large numbers of over-wintering cormorants. I decided to go fish it and see for myself.

Image00005.jpg
I had a quick scoot around upon arrival and decided just to drop in on the dam wall – about a third of the way along. The wind, although initially not very strong, was straight in my face so I quickly discounted the waggler and just got a pair of feeder rods out – 12’ Acolyte Ultra / Daiwa TDM and 13’ Acolyte Distance Feeder / Preston Extremity – end loaded groundbait feeders on both, 0.12mm hooklength and size 16 / 14 Kamasan B560.

Image00003.jpg
Started on the lighter rig and just punched the feeder out an easy 30m or so. Groundbait was a mix of Sensas Magic and Pro-Natural with some micro pellets and a pinch of casters added before each cast. After a couple of chucks to get some bait out I started getting really shy little bites, including a few on the drop. Eventually connected with a couple and found, as expected, they were due to small roach – two or three ounces each I guess. Problem was the wind was increasing, so not only was I struggling to hit my mark but I was also suffering from unseen bites – winding in squashed maggots with no obvious indication on the tip.

Image00006.jpg

View attachment MVI_7460.MOV

I was forced to change tactics a little, switched to the bigger feeder rod (no problem in hitting the spot now ;) ) and added some chopped worm to the groundbait and using half a worm as hookbait. As expected I started getting perch – mainly fish around the 4oz mark although I did get one or two that pulled back a bit – I had three that weighed 3lb between them – this being the middle sized one.

Image00004.jpg

Rotating baits seemed to keep the bites coming – tipping the worm off with a maggot or bunches of 3or 4 maggots seemingly the most effective. I still picked up occasional roach – the bites being much less shy on the bigger baits - had two that were net fish – 6oz or so – but nothing any bigger and no sign of any skimmers.

I was quite pleased to weigh a level 13lb at the end of the day, hopefully when we return on 22nd September it’ll be a little less breezy and we’ll be able to fish the waggler or pole.

Image00007.jpg

Image00001.jpg Image00002.jpg

Next trip will be Brafferton a week on Sunday

Simon

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
Simon, good net of fish there for the conditions. I have this penciled in for late September / October as I believe its a late month fishery. Have fished it only once and I am afraid blanked. A Sunday visit but was restricted along the Dam wall as a club had rights to there fishing a match and did not like me to be anywhere near them. A third of a way along near the pump house is the hot spots and their match. They said I could fish the Dam on the first hundred yards only, they said all through winter Sundays on the Dam Wall is theirs !!!. As first 100yds is much shallower and was gin clear NOTHING was a good result. Anyway, that was two years or so ago and have not been since only for a summers day walk around. I have been told towards the beck that enters the lake and along the wooded bank before it is good but difficult to get a trolley along.
Do you still have to go through Scaling Dam for the day ticket and register it in that shed when you get there or can you now get a ticket there without dropping in at Scalings first.
I will give it a go sometime this autumn but ticketing info would be appreciated. regards martyn

Simon R

Site Supporter
Tickets either from Scaling Dam as you mention or from one of three tackle shops - Anglers Choice, Middlesbrough, Carp Crazy at Charltons or Anglers Place in Guisborough. Nobody has the fishing rights and anybody holding a match (as we are next month) can not force anybody to move.

Woodside is OK but the access isn't as easy as the dam wall and swims are limited - there's one just past the jetty and the majority of the rest need cutting back - casting room overhead is at a premium. It isn't until you get to the concrete block where the trees end that access gets easier.

Next time you fish the dam wall watch to your left as you're walking along for a wooden stake driven into the ground - anywhere beyond that point is where you want to be fishing - the very deepest point being in the area of the valve house.

Simon

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
Simon, thanks for that. I am south of there so the only way is to call in at Scaling Dam. I think I can pre-book though and pay over the phone. Will keep an eye on this post you mention. I believe some Bream have been added, would make a great wild Bream Water , another Semerwater for the future maybe.